• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I also do not think pics should be mandatory. I personally wouldn't expect anyone to go through the trouble to scan a stack of $1 or so readers. It would increase sales for sellers I'm sure but asking for a pic is also not much trouble. I've purchased a few slabs from JD and have received pics within minutes of asking for them. Now if a seller says "Sorry, no pics are available then I move on. Yet when I see no pics available and no returns I am absolutely baffled by the sellers expectations of the sale and can't fathom anyone purchasing in the thread. Thats a seller I know I do not want to support, no matter what price tag I see.

I don't understand how a seller can claim No Returns.

If the buyer receives an overgraded book and seeks a return, wouldn't failure of seller to accept return and issue a refund be something that could land him/her on the Probation list?

I wouldn't think so. If you have pictures and know there are no returns why should the seller have to accept a return?

And if you don't have pictures and buy with no returns, well that was probably a poor choice from the buyer.

Part of the problem is a certain assumption that pics/scans are self explanatory, when they are not. Pics mean nothing without at least a numerical grade or some sort of good faith disclosure of hidden defects.

No returns as a policy puts the pressure hard on full disclosure. If you show me a book that looks like a glossy VF and say "great copy!" and it turns out the cover is detached, I'm not going to care if there was a no returns policy, I'm going to want satisfaction for a misrepresentation of the product.

No, pics fixes all of this. :eyeroll:

lol

q7evn.jpg

How do post pics from my iPhone or iPad to the boards?

Exactly the same way you'd do it from a computer.

In fact it's easier since the camera is built in.

Snap a pic, open browser to photobucket or other image site, upload pic, copy link, paste.

That's only slightly more clicks than getting a paypal refund I do believe. lol

Actually, no. Have you ever tried it?

YES, I JUST DID

image.jpg1_zps1rb6buyu.jpg

Thanks!

Now I can add crappy pics to make comix4fun feel better.

q7geq.jpg

I need to control something in my life. Why not control the message board I frequent. They will live up to my standards. Any pushback will be met with silly memes.

Please. lol

It's a reasonable idea, which I applied to expensive raws, which you attempted to contort into applying to slabbed moderns because you seem to only be able to apply concepts into how they might impact you personally instead of seeing value in something that's incredibly basic and sensible.

The red herrings of how much easier it is to get a paypal forced refund for books "not as promised" instead of having a seller voluntarily refund your purchase along and how having pics of multiple hundred dollar SA keys does more "harm than good" aside, I tried logic, simple logic and you compartmentalized my comments and started asking questions on small portions of posts instead of answering simple questions.

So you get memes now instead. The rest is a waste of time.

The rest is a waste of time.
It always was. It's Branget's way or the highway, in that there should be no rules because Laissez-faire? Rules are for suckers? Don't try to control me, bro? (shrug)

But that is a sellers choice. If not including pics hurts the seller then so be it. Making a rule because someone believes it will make a seller better?

I kind of agree with this.

It's buyer beware and we're trying to prevent people from hurting themselves. Why? (shrug)

If you see a listing for a book with no scans from a seller you don't know or don't have experience with...

:news: Don't buy the book! :news:

There are a few sellers here that I wouldn't hesitate to buy a book from without pictures based on their reputation and/or prior personal experiences.

I think sellers, particularly newer sellers, are doing themselves an injustice by not posting photos. If I see a sloppily put together and run sales thread, it will make me hesistate to ever do business with the person in general.

I don't think forcing sellers to add pictures is going to fully accomplish the goal it set out to do and we shouldn't keep making rules to protect buyers and taking their time to set up a good sales thread. This isn't the safe haven it may have been in the past. There are new members flocking here daily from eBay, Facebook, Instagram, whatever. I think buyers need to use a little more discretion and apply some common sense. 2c

All of that said: post some damn photos. :sumo: And if someone is planning on selling books here for awhile, invest in a good scanner. :makepoint:

YES, I JUST DID

There are these things they sell that you might be interested in. They look nicer than using a drinking glass.

Amazon: Desktop Business Card Holders

:baiting:

81K6GsLxpvL._SX522_.jpg

Those are my overflow from people that hand them to me. lol

I think there is an element beyond just passing on sellers when there are no pictures.

As collectors, there is an irritation factor when you see a book you need but you can't judge it.

First world problem? Granted.

:baiting: Your puny viewsonic. I got a Samsung 4k monitor in my office. New York owns Chicago once again

What a waste, unless you've got a 60" monitor. The resolution difference is invisible on a monitor. I used the extra cash from not going 4k on a sweet camera to take sweet pics of the books I sell.

I understand Chris' position that sellers SHOULD be posting photos and I completely agree with it.

But, I feel the bigger problem is the complete support of the newer refugees from social media groups and eBay that do not care about this place or their personal reputation at all. They show up and offer books at too good to be true prices and oftentimes, they ARE too good to be true. But I feel like you see people merrily throwing out "Great books! :applause: " when someone JUST joined that day or the previous week and I feel :facepalm:

Make people earn their status here as a seller. Hold back those :takeit: from newer seller's if something doesn't seem right. :sumo:

I think there is an element beyond just passing on sellers when there are no pictures.

As collectors, there is an irritation factor when you see a book you need but you can't judge it.

First world problem? Granted.

I agree. That is why I support the " :takeit: pending scan" principle and don't agree with people trying to trump that with an unconditional :takeit:

YES, I JUST DID

There are these things they sell that you might be interested in. They look nicer than using a drinking glass.

81K6GsLxpvL._SX522_.jpg

I thought it was to offer a free lunch?

YES, I JUST DID

81K6GsLxpvL._SX522_.jpg

lol We've got a big fish bowl in the front....."Enter to Win 1 FREE appeal!"

Make people earn their status here as a seller. Hold back those :takeit:from newer seller's if something doesn't seem right. :sumo:

Never going to happen.

That's why I support the implementation of very simple requirements to post a sales thread. Some combination of join date/post count. Along the lines of 2 months and 50 posts.

YES, I JUST DID

81K6GsLxpvL._SX522_.jpg

I bet there is some fine print attached to that free appeal.

Make people earn their status here as a seller. Hold back those :takeit:from newer seller's if something doesn't seem right. :sumo:

Never going to happen.

That's why I support the implementation of very simple requirements to post a sales thread. Some combination of join date/post count. Along the lines of 2 months and 50 posts.

This idea always made sense to me. Heck, there is a post requirement to partake in the PIF thread.

Never going to happen.

This idea always made sense to me. Heck, there is a post requirement to partake in the PIF thread.

But then that means that someone like "He whose name shall not be spoken" who creates 50 posts every hour would have been eligible to start selling after one day of posts and as soon as his time period was up.

A required join up date / post count just encourages the Long Con.

YES, I JUST DID

81K6GsLxpvL._SX522_.jpg

I bet there is some fine print attached to that free appeal.

No way! When I say ONE FREE APPEAL* I mean it. :sumo:

* applies to any appeal priced at $20 or less.

Personally, if I see a seller trying to sell a product on the internet with no pictures, I immediately know they are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons and/or dishonest. Seems like common sense to me to have pictures, price and sale terms neatly laid out before even posting a thread.