• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Personally I think that pictures/scans should be a requirement in all listings. I get it, it's a pain to take pictures for a book thats $1.00. Ok so take a group shot.

In short: Put at least as much effort into taking our money as we put into making it.

Not a big fan of forcing pics. I have a current sales thread with no pics and doing just fine. I understand that some buyers may not even look at the sales thread if there are no pics. Should be my option. Everybody likes options. ;)

I sell graded moderns for the most part. There is very little to be learned by posting pics most of the time.

Well...you're selling slabs as you said. The thread we're discussing featured early SA raw Marvels. Pics should be mandatory on raws with this type of price tag....with no return policy.

Of course if you're selling signed modern slabs pics are an absolute must as everyone's seen how varied signature size, placement, and color can impact how a book presents, even in the same grade.

Personally I think that pictures/scans should be a requirement in all listings. I get it, it's a pain to take pictures for a book thats $1.00. Ok so take a group shot.

In short: Put at least as much effort into taking our money as we put into making it.

Not a big fan of forcing pics. I have a current sales thread with no pics and doing just fine. I understand that some buyers may not even look at the sales thread if there are no pics. Should be my option. Everybody likes options. ;)

I sell graded moderns for the most part. There is very little to be learned by posting pics most of the time.

Well...you're selling slabs as you said. The thread we're discussing featured early SA raw Marvels. Pics should be mandatory on raws with this type of price tag....with no return policy.

Of course if you're selling signed modern slabs pics are an absolute must as everyone's seen how varied signature size, placement, and color can impact how a book presents, even in the same grade.

No pics and no return policy is kind of like natural selection. Eventually the problem will fix itself.

I understand what you are saying, and even if you are doing well, you are still cutting out the impulse buyers. I often buy comics on here that I never even knew I "needed" until I saw how cool the cover was or something about it appealed to me.

Some really don't care. If there was a rally to force pics on raw books I wouldn't care. A rule like this is a simple request from a buyer so why make it a rule?

I understand what you are saying, and even if you are doing well, you are still cutting out the impulse buyers. I often buy comics on here that I never even knew I "needed" until I saw how cool the cover was or something about it appealed to me.

I fully realize that a proper thread would include pics. It increases the chance of a sale. I know this and choose not to have pics....usually. The other side of the coin is that if I had to have pics I likely would not have had the thread.

Some really don't care. If there was a rally to force pics on raw books I wouldn't care. A rule like this is a simple request from a buyer so why make it a rule?

Most will care of the fn/vf they bought for $500 was ripped entirely in half. lol

We haven't had a rally around here in a while. hm

Not sure I understand that last question. Are you saying the buyer can simply request a scan so there's no need for a rule? If so that's also what was discussed here under the :takeit: pending scans and the eventual issues it raises that could be avoided by simply taking a moment to put up a photo to corroborate the grade placed on the book in the initial sale post.

If people want to sell raw vintage books for high prices here they should be either willing to post scans or take returns. That's pretty reasonable.

The trouble it may cause is trouble for the seller. Self inflicted so I don't see the problem.

PayPal personal is not an option for payment. Is the thread in question asking for a cheque? If they are allowing PayPal then they are accepting returns.

Most of these discussions seem more like sour grapes from would be buyers that needed more info to purchase. Some don't mind taking chances.

The trouble it may cause is trouble for the seller. Self inflicted so I don't see the problem.

PayPal personal is not an option for payment. Is the thread in question asking for a cheque? If they are allowing PayPal then they are accepting returns.

Most of these discussions seem more like sour grapes from would be buyers that needed more info to purchase. Some don't mind taking chances.

Well, it's been a long time since I have a half a about whether or not I bought a book so I am immune from said grapes. lol

My only consideration is equity. I don't think having buyers scrambling around looking for technical means to force refunds is superior to seller's taking a modicum of care and diligence to post a photo or voluntarily take the books back if they can't be bothered to scan a book they want to sell for $300-400-500 or more.

Well, it's been a long time since I have a half a about whether or not I bought a book so I am immune from said grapes. lol

My only consideration is equity. I don't think having buyers scrambling around looking for technical means to force refunds is superior to seller's taking a modicum of care and diligence to post a photo or voluntarily take the books back if they can't be bothered to scan a book they want to sell for $300-400-500 or more.

Scrambling around? lol

Login, one link, done. If they can buy or sell on here then they won't be scrambling. Next is good pics and bad pics. In this forum there is a PGM section that clearly states judging grades from a scan is not accurate.

All this does is force sellers to do something else. Add it to the list.

Scrambling around? lol

Login, one link, done. If they can buy or sell on here then they won't be scrambling. Next is good pics and bad pics. In this forum there is a PGM section that clearly states judging grades from a scan is not accurate.

It isn't:

login

contact seller and request refund

if they don't refund then you have to open a claim

attempt to resolve

then if they won't resolve

you have to request they escalate

then they'll review it

then you might get a refund 30 days or so later.

Hardly..."one link, done." lol

Hardly as easy for the buyer as a seller owning up to his failure to grade voluntarily, is it?

Forcing the onus on the buyer is forcing the onus on the buyer, and when it's the seller's duty to do so, voluntarily, all along.

You are an ardent and zealous lobbyist for the seller's union. I will give you that.

Scrambling around? lol

It isn't:

login

contact seller and request refund

if they don't refund then you have to open a claim

attempt to resolve

then if they won't resolve

you have to request they escalate

then they'll review it

then you might get a refund 30 days or so later.

Hardly..."one link, done." lol

Hardly as easy for the buyer as a seller owning up to his failure to grade voluntarily, is it?

Forcing the onus on the buyer is forcing the onus on the buyer, and when it's the seller's duty to do so, voluntarily, all along.

You are an ardent and zealous lobbyist for the seller's union. I will give you that.

You don't have to contact the seller.

You used to be able to escalate immediately.

Sorry, 2 links.

Refunds are granted within 7 days I believe.

If your goal is a cleaner marketplace then go for it. If your goal is to have great deals then you're slowly killing it. The point is that you are covered by PayPal. No need to stress. It is safe to transact. You will not be able to rule away the possible headaches. All you will do is scare away new sellers. Will you stop some scammers? Maybe.

The boards are trending towards only dealers when it used to be an anti-dealer sales section. I try to lobby for balance and options. I tend to be inclusive and battle exclusivity.

Never underestimate the desire to inflate my post count. ;)

@JD: The one about lack of pictures is a fair complain. :shrug:

Especially if there is hardly communication from the seller and the thread is somewhat "dropped" (as it happened with Greg's one). That’s not much caring or respectful towards buyers.

Then avoid them. I see this as throwing out the baby with the bath water. There are always going to be bad sellers and potential scammer. No amount of rules will get rid of them. There is money being spent and that is what brings them out. If you are hoping for a new seller with the best of intentions to sell their Father's collection here then you want to keep the rules to a minimum.

Forcing pics does not help anyone communicate.

Rule of thumb: if they aren't good at communicating when they ask for your money then they are likely worse when they have your money.

I was not saying there should be a rule, I was just saying that it was a legitimate complain. Sometimes a complain is just useful to have people realize they can do better.

Oh, for sure. I would have no issue asking someone for pics in their sales thread. I just don't like forcing sellers.