• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

ft88 is a prominent member here and will likely take care of the situation.

OP, I'd edit/delete your post in this thread and reach out to the seller via PM to sort this out. Later you can take it to the probation thread if necessary.

I like centered books. If a book has a miswrap I move on. Without pics, I'll never know, and if I'm dull enough to order from you without a pic, I will return it if it is miswrapped. I like centered books.

Dan

I am like you, and unless it’s a cheap book or a great deal, I always ask if it has miswrap before purchasing. (thumbs u

Step one

Cut a hole in a box

If photos are not going to be required then a seller Should be required to announce their rules regarding Pending Scans.

Agree with this one. Recently there was someone selling a collection off a title at a time, where he listed the book with his grade, a description of any defects, and a price, no pictures - but he said that he'd provide pics on request. I sent a PM requesting pics for those items I was interested in, and he sent them along promptly. I asked about posting "Pending Scans' in his thread, and he was fine with that.

So I did that with a later thread, everything looked good, and my conditional was met. But a controversy popped up with one of his sales threads, and in the course of the discussion my "Pending Scans" transaction was noted, and many took the way it transpired as an indication that the book had been placed "on hold" for me. When I asked the seller, I was informed that it did NOT, if someone else had placed an unconditional take it, I would have been SOL.

So I went back to asking in a PM - all the posting in the thread did was alert others of interest in the book (not that these were high demand items). It would have been annoying to have someone else get it, though, so it really should be clear what your rules are.

It's ok. And I don't mind being outted as it were. These were shipped media so possible they were opened. Or the weight was high resulting in POd handlers. Bagged not boarded books with peanuts. But a full box with only some room to move around. But move around they did.

I think next time with cheap but high grade bulk I can tape them into blocks of sort. Easy cheap and effective.

I offered a refund anyway but the postage makes it prohibitive to return which is the only reason I stated no returns in the original post.

John did pm me rightfully as a disappointed buyer.

Quick question for you vet sellers. For high dollar (say higher than a couple of hundred) books slabbed or raw. Do you get insurance on the package? I know it is rare for a lost shipment or damaged book (if well packed) so it hardly seems worth it, but having the postal service misplace a book worth several thousand of dollars would sting a bit. Just wondering what the general consensus is.

I searched around for a bit on this topic and didn't find anything, so if the answer is out there, apologies.

Edited by FutureFlash

I think there is an element beyond just passing on sellers when there are no pictures.

As collectors, there is an irritation factor when you see a book you need but you can't judge it.

First world problem? Granted.

Let's just say that a seller has a thread with a large quantity of books with no pictures.

Who has been harmed exactly?

If a buyer wants to see pictures before making a purchase is it so hard for them to PM the seller and ask?

Even if a buyer buys books from a seller they do not know with no pictures and a stated no return policy they still have Paypal to protect them.

The current rules call for a description of the item including its condition and / or pictures.

Seems fair enough.

I think there is an element beyond just passing on sellers when there are no pictures.

As collectors, there is an irritation factor when you see a book you need but you can't judge it.

First world problem? Granted.

Let's just say that a seller has a thread with a large quantity of books with no pictures.

Who has been harmed exactly?

If a buyer wants to see pictures before making a purchase is it so hard for them to PM the seller and ask?

Even if a buyer buys books from a seller they do not know with no pictures and a stated no return policy they still have Paypal to protect them.

The current rules call for a description of the item including its condition and / or pictures.

Seems fair enough.

An objection to pictures from the one poster whose sales thread posts have, without a doubt, the most images per post of anyone, ever.

Life is full of surprises. lol

Quick question for you vet sellers. For high dollar (say higher than a couple of hundred) books slabbed or raw. Do you get insurance on the package? I know it is rare for a lost shipment or damaged book (if well packed) so it hardly seems worth it, but having the postal service misplace a book worth several thousand of dollars would sting a bit. Just wondering what the general consensus is.

I searched around for a bit on this topic and didn't find anything, so if the answer is out there, apologies.

For $200 or up I would get signature confirmation but usually wouldn't bother with insurance.

Earlier this week I made a $1,000+ sale on ebay.

For that one I am going with insurance.

Insurance isn't expensive and it's peace of mind on bigger ticket items. (thumbs u

Good point. I was just curious on what people did, as I see expensive books getting sold, but I never really saw any mention if they were using insurance on the shipping. And I have yet to buy anything on here that would need insurance.

Edited by FutureFlash

For the record, the proper way to out a poor seller is not actually make a post on a public forum until one has fully exhausted all other methods of working things out with said poor seller. Be sure that the seller is solely responsible for the madness and no contributions from the shipper have been added in part or in whole. Give the seller a chance to make good. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone experiences their first time for whatever. 2c