• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I think there is a difference between pre-sales as far as signing opportunities and books that are en route.

Presale signing opportunities are a gamble because you truly do not know if the grades will reach the tier that was advertised and that you paid for. As far as I am concerned this is akin to the mystery bags that have been banned. The seller is advertising a number of books that may or may not come back as advertised in the sales thread.

In this instance, you need to have a clear understanding of what the terms are.

Many people offer guaranteed 9.8 pre-sale signed books. If you don't get a 9.8 then you haven't gotten what you paid for. You are entitled to a refund, at very least.

Others will say "I have 10 NM/NM+ books" and if you order one, you get whatever they come back. That is dicier. What if some come back 8.5 or 9.0? That is nowhere near NM/NM+

But under no circumstances on that pre-sale are you entitled to a 9.8.

If you want a guaranteed grade, negotiate for a guaranteed grade. Otherwise, you get what you get.

That's how I see it. You get what you get. And on the SS, what if the person who is signing pen explodes?

A good facilitator will bring excess copies to account for unforeseen variables. Assuming, that is, that the facilitator is providing his own books and not accepting your particular books. If you are sending in books the facilitator should not be guaranteeing 9.8s.

I think there is a difference between pre-sales as far as signing opportunities and books that are en route.

Presale signing opportunities are a gamble because you truly do not know if the grades will reach the tier that was advertised and that you paid for. As far as I am concerned this is akin to the mystery bags that have been banned. The seller is advertising a number of books that may or may not come back as advertised in the sales thread.

Books that are en route have confirmed grades and are individual to that order. If someone says, "I have a ASM 300 9.8 on it's way back from CGC" then the buyer knows exactly what they are getting and are spending their money on something that is individual to their purchase.

Until the books are in hand, neither the buyer nor the seller know exactly what they are getting until the seller can lay eyes on the slabs and see firsthand that there has been no quality control issue or postal damage.

Last year, I opened a box of slabs from CGC only to see the horror/carnage resulting from postal damage - in my case the box of slabs was dropped from a height sufficient to cause the books to break through the bottoms of the inner wells. :eek::sick:

Books that are en route have confirmed grades and are individual to that order. If someone says, "I have a ASM 300 9.8 on it's way back from CGC" then the buyer knows exactly what they are getting and are spending their money on something that is individual to their purchase.

Until the books are in hand, neither the buyer nor the seller know exactly what they are getting until the seller can lay eyes on the slabs and see firsthand that there has been no quality control issue or postal damage.

Last year, I opened a box of slabs from CGC only to see the horror/carnage resulting from postal damage - in my case the box of slabs was dropped from a height sufficient to cause the books to break through the bottoms of the inner wells. :eek::sick:

I've always thought those presales were kinda weird, BUT Beachbum sells comics that aren't even SIGNED or SUBMITTED YET, let alone known to be coming back at certain grades, and most people (including me) are fine with it.

I don't understand the logic in the "my books are coming next week, but I want to post and sell today", but I don't think it should be against the rules. I think the basic rules and expectations are met, and buyers can decide for themselves pretty easily whether or not that's their thing.

Note that when one makes a 'rule', it has to apply equally to everyone...

If someone provides grades and no pictures and that's not your thing, don't buy.

If someone provides pictures and no grades and that's not your thing, don't buy.

If the seller doesn't want to provide enough basic information to try to make a sale (for whatever reason), you can always ask (pm) for more, or just move on.

I do that every time I see a thread with pictures and no grades, I just move along, and know many others do too. I assume that seller has factored in all of the lost sales as part of his sales model as trade off for lack of grade dispute. He's decided his time is worth more to him than the extra sales, or that his grading ability isn't consistent enough with the majority of potential buyers. Whatever the reasons, I assume he's thought it through and its fine for him, and I have no right or responsibility to make him think otherwise. Would it be nice to see the grade? Yes. But do I need that part regulated? Not if they're dollar books, and the rule has to be universally applied, so its better that there's no rule.

In this instance, you need to have a clear understanding of what the terms are.

Many people offer guaranteed 9.8 pre-sale signed books. If you don't get a 9.8 then you haven't gotten what you paid for. You are entitled to a refund, at very least.

Others will say "I have 10 NM/NM+ books" and if you order one, you get whatever they come back. That is dicier. What if some come back 8.5 or 9.0? That is nowhere near NM/NM+

But under no circumstances on that pre-sale are you entitled to a 9.8.

If you want a guaranteed grade, negotiate for a guaranteed grade. Otherwise, you get what you get.

That's how I see it. You get what you get. And on the SS, what if the person who is signing pen explodes?

A good facilitator will bring excess copies to account for unforeseen variables. Assuming, that is, that the facilitator is providing his own books and not accepting your particular books. If you are sending in books the facilitator should not be guaranteeing 9.8s.

;) Thanks for the info.

Anyone heard from Comic Book Guy/Mike?

Looks like people are starting to worry on his sales thread...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9287144&fpart=13

Hopefully someone who knows him personally can at least let us know he's ok.

I remember my first big purchase off these boards was from ChicksCosmicComics and

the poor gent has passed in a tragic accident with alot of deals pending. Thankfully JunkDrawer

was able to get resolution to all those outstanding deals.

As a result I'm always on edge when a boardie goes dark during or right after a sales thread.

Anyone heard from Comic Book Guy/Mike?

Looks like people are starting to worry on his sales thread...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9287144&fpart=13

Hopefully someone who knows him personally can at least let us know he's ok.

I remember my first big purchase off these boards was from ChicksCosmicComics and

the poor gent has passed in a tragic accident with alot of deals pending. Thankfully JunkDrawer

was able to get resolution to all those outstanding deals.

As a result I'm always on edge when a boardie goes dark during or right after a sales thread.

Specially when it's someone like Mike.

Had a sales thread pointed out to me in the Copper/Modern forum. Apparently it's not the first one like it.

Are some people really that clueless and unaware? ...or are they just purposely being as big a D as possible?

Edited by MCMiles

Had a sales thread pointed out to me in the Copper/Modern forum. Apparently it's not the first one like it.

Are some people really that clueless and unaware? ...or are they just purposely being as big a D as possible?

Well, how else would you do it? When they actually arrive, they are being sold in other venues.

Its just a person's preferred way to sell. They must have their reasons. And they're following the rules, not being dishonest or unethical. No one else is being harmed in any way.

Not everyone is going to sell in the EXACT way that EVERY OTHER PERSON thinks is best or makes the most sense.

Let the players play!

Want to sell for 10x more or less than GPA? Let the players play.

Want to provide only back scans (as long as you list the grades)? Let the players play.

Want to presell? Let the players play.

And the potential buyers can do what they do...

Well, how else would you do it? When they actually arrive, they are being sold in other venues.

Its just a person's preferred way to sell. They must have their reasons. And they're following the rules, not being dishonest or unethical. No one else is being harmed in any way.

Not everyone is going to sell in the EXACT way that EVERY OTHER PERSON thinks is best or makes the most sense.

Let the players play!

Want to provide only back scans (as long as you list the grades)? Let the players play.

I don't disagree with any of this. But that's not going to stop me from making fun of it, so suck it.

My preachers arrive today. Sales thread coming soon

When and how did CAK get access to Hector's account?

Hector has been allowing unfettered CAK access since that 9 week bounce in County.

Let the players play!

I don't disagree with any of this. But that's not going to stop me from making fun of it, so suck it.

Let the suckers suck...

My preachers arrive today. Sales thread coming soon

When and how did CAK get access to Hector's account?

Hector has been allowing unfettered CAK access since that 9 week bounce in County.

:D