• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Without commenting on this specific 'spaghetti and meatballs' situation, in general I am seeing the Boards more and more favoring the seller. It seems like a seller can get away with virtually any selling tactic, Pre Sales, no pics, pics but no grades, everything seems to be okay. If a buyer has a bad experience he cannot leave negative feedback, only kudos are allowed. A Board buyer can be the recipient of bad packaging, bad grading, slow shipping, etc. and he has to suck it up and smile.

As mostly a Buyer, I don't like it.

Realistically, how many problems do we actually have on this chat forum in selling threads? Maybe one or two a week out of literally hundreds of sales threads?

And most problems are usually reasonable resolved because the better part of the chat forum is reasonable.

You're always going to have someone come in and shake things up as that's the nature of things, but percentage wise this is still a terrific place. We shouldn't focus too much on the negatives. Just use it as an experience to remind ourselves how good this place actually is compared to Facebook, eBay, etc and try not to get jaded.

The rules of the free market still need to allowed to operate and that sometimes means you just can't have 'too many' rules to squeeze the life out of this place IMO.

Without commenting on this specific 'spaghetti and meatballs' situation, in general I am seeing the Boards more and more favoring the seller. It seems like a seller can get away with virtually any selling tactic, Pre Sales, no pics, pics but no grades, everything seems to be okay. If a buyer has a bad experience he cannot leave negative feedback, only kudos are allowed. A Board buyer can be the recipient of bad packaging, bad grading, slow shipping, etc. and he has to suck it up and smile.

Makes no sense that proper feedback can't be left.

let's not forget about new sellers that come in and insult the board members, make invalid claims about existing double covers of books, act like a complete person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, are borderline racist , but thank god we all have standards and draw the line somewhere

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9203128&fpart=1

Nice try Janet but I'm not taking the bait here. Enjoy your day.

The only reason I can think of is because people can post anything at any time no matter if it's true or not. What's stopping someone from leaving a negative comment just because he doesn't like another boardie?Unless mods stepped in, there wouldn't be a way to remove the untrue, negative comment.

let's not forget about new sellers that come in and insult the board members, make invalid claims about existing double covers of books, act like a complete person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, are borderline racist , but thank god we all have standards and draw the line somewhere

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9203128&fpart=1

Nice try Janet but I'm not taking the bait here. Enjoy your day.

no bait, just facts. seller had no pics initially, didn't follow the existing rules (had a thread already poofed), yet you looked past all of that, despite him insulting board members, and still brought the book

just seems odd when you want to enforce the rules and when you don't

**Drops Mic***

The only reason I can think of is because people can post anything at any time no matter if it's true or not. What's stopping someone from leaving a negative comment just because he doesn't like another boardie?Unless mods stepped in, there wouldn't be a way to remove the untrue, negative comment.

So if a seller can't grade and/or package books properly.....how would potential buyers know?

I guess the lack of positive feedback would be the give away. hm

So if a seller can't grade and/or package books properly.....how would potential buyers know?

Or be like the hundreds of sellers on here that don't have a feedback thread because the feedback thread is useless.

It is sort of like references:

Current boss - ya he is a great worker (honestly meaning it)

Current boss - ya he is a great worker (I hope he gets this job so I can replace him)

Landlord - oh he was great paid rent on time and very clean

Landlord - oh he was great *never paid rent, place is a mess please take him off my hands to prevent me from the long hard task of eviction*

Thank God for the public sharing of info and info shared amongst friends via PM.

#personallists

I wish there was a way to leave true feedback. But I think the above might be one reason why we don't. It would either result in more PL discussion or more mod involvement. And even if the PL discussion agreed the feedback wasn't factual, there wouldn't be a way to remove it without mods.

Thank God for the public sharing of info and info shared amongst friends via PM.

#personallists

:whee:

Makes no sense that proper feedback can't be left.

+1 but unfortunately the several attempts to change the system have gone nowhere.

Presumably, the boardie being criticized would be able to state his side of the story. To avoid an extended back and forth, perhaps we could limit to two the number of posts the buyer and seller would each be allowed on a transaction.

We have been around the block on this many times, but I continue to think it's a problem that short of nominating a seller for the PL, there is no way for a buyer to warn other potential buyers of a bad experience with a seller.

Agree, with a return policy like this:

"If there is a problem with any of the books, please notify me within seven days of receipt, and I will do my best to accommodate any reasonable requests."

What does this mean? There are no grades, no descriptions. The book could be a cover with no contents, and by the wording of the return policy the seller could simply deny the return.