• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

A lot of great advice has been given on money management and how to live successfully out of your car, but surprisingly very little on Chip's decision to get himself out of his financial troubles by becoming a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman.

Congrats on the job, Chip! I hope everything starts looking up for you!

Thank you. I appreciate you saying that. The best thing about the job is that the more I work, the more I earn. I'm going to hit the ground running and get as many hours in as I can. I just have to make sure I know the product, but that will come with time. The company is doing very well so I know I can make this work.

http://www.filterqueen.com

Although I'm certain some people make a decent living doing this, it would probably not be my first choice if I needed money asap.

I wish you well, Chip, and I hope you fair better than others I have read about.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/directory/filter-queen

Seems to be another wise decision doh!

Truth is sometimes MUCH stranger than fiction. This has indentured servitude written all over it.

I hope he's getting a salary and not 100% commission based. Hope the training is truly "free"

He's better off pulling double shifts working 16 hr days at MC D's at $10 an hour, rent a room for a couple hundred a month, buy bare necessities, and save, save, save the rest till he gets it together before jumping into something nutty like this.

I do hope he makes a million selling these though.

I have to wonder what the job market is in SC. When I was starting out I did temp work, clerical type stuff, data entry. I did OK doing that, don't they have opportunities like this in SC?

We're not NYC or Chicago, but if you want a job, you can find one...

A lot of great advice has been given on money management and how to live successfully out of your car, but surprisingly very little on Chip's decision to get himself out of his financial troubles by becoming a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman.

Congrats on the job, Chip! I hope everything starts looking up for you!

Thank you. I appreciate you saying that. The best thing about the job is that the more I work, the more I earn. I'm going to hit the ground running and get as many hours in as I can. I just have to make sure I know the product, but that will come with time. The company is doing very well so I know I can make this work.

http://www.filterqueen.com

Although I'm certain some people make a decent living doing this, it would probably not be my first choice if I needed money asap.

I wish you well, Chip, and I hope you fair better than others I have read about.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/directory/filter-queen

Seems to be another wise decision doh!

Truth is sometimes MUCH stranger than fiction. This has indentured servitude written all over it.

I hope he's getting a salary and not 100% commission based. Hope the training is truly "free"

He's better off pulling double shifts working 16 hr days at MC D's at $10 an hour, rent a room for a couple hundred a month, buy bare necessities, and save, save, save the rest till he gets it together before jumping into something nutty like this.

I do hope he makes a million selling these though.

I have to wonder what the job market is in SC. When I was starting out I did temp work, clerical type stuff, data entry. I did OK doing that, don't they have opportunities like this in SC?

We're not NYC or Chicago, but if you want a job, you can find one...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=filter+queen&_sop=16 Edited by Junkdrawer

https://jobspotter.indeed.com/jobs/viewjob/f1182fc816fe26cc

I suggest getting your resume sorted out to be desirable to hire, they can be difficult to gain employment with because of their interview style.

I got in because I sold myself. And not to toot my own horn, I work. I don't goof off, I don't play around, I do what I am asked to do, no questions. I do my job, I leave and go home and pretend I don't have a job. I stay professional.

Not sure what marketable skills you have, but in all honesty, to work at WalMart you don't need a skill set. Not to be a stockboy, not to be a department salesperson, department manager, shift manager, shift supervisor, or store manager.

My store manager was a complete moran. He had the position because he applied and was there more than 10 years, starting on the floor and working his way up.

This is the WalMart way of doing things. Sometimes it works, sometimes people just fill positions till they retire. Not saying you should have a career, but its a paycheque. An easy one.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I know that many people hate creating and formatting resumes. I've used this site for the last year or two:

http://creddle.io/

My advice would be to create two resumes, one with a Word (.docx) format and one that is fancier and may be saved and distributed as a PDF. Many employers use software to scan a resume for keywords, and in that instance, you'll want to send the Word format. I'm uncertain how things are in other industries, but in my industry, it is often suitable to send a PDF, but your situation may vary.

I had a long talk with April tonight. She reminded me that she always tried to get me to come around to some sort of normal reasoning as I was screwing everything up, but I wouldn't listen. Multiple times.

I haven't seen my daughter in a long while now and won't see her again until late next week.

After our conversation the only thing I could think of is that the stupid thing about killing yourself is that no one thinks you'll do it until it's too late. Then you're gone.

Chip, don't even THINK that! Because when you have a kid, you don't live for you - you live for your child. If anything happened to you, think about what it would do to your little girl. :makepoint:

I had a long talk with April tonight. She reminded me that she always tried to get me to come around to some sort of normal reasoning as I was screwing everything up, but I wouldn't listen. Multiple times.

I haven't seen my daughter in a long while now and won't see her again until late next week.

After our conversation the only thing I could think of is that the stupid thing about killing yourself is that no one thinks you'll do it until it's too late. Then you're gone.

Call for help Chip, life can and will get better.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

1-800-273-8255

They are available 24 hours a day to talk.

Chip man, don't even talk things like that. If you truly have any thoughts like that please contact a professional.

http://samaritanshope.org/our-services/247-crisis-services/

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

I lost my father when I was just a little over a year old from natural causes and it still screwed me up for awhile. You love your daughter, as you say she is the most important thing in your life. Even though you can't see her as often as you like make those moments special, for her and for you.

Money problems are things that can be fixed. A daughter's broken heart is something that will last a very, very long time.

Chip, don't even THINK that! Because when you have a kid, you don't live for you - you live for your child. If anything happened to you, think about what it would do to your little girl. :makepoint:

+1

This

Whaaaaaa? Chip, don't talk like that.

That conversation is the perfect opportunity to take your focus off of yourself and put it onto your child. This is a chance to aim for being the best person you can for her, not to give up on her.

As a parent the part of you that's just about you is gone and in its place is that kid's whole world. Every time I want to give up or give less than my best I think of them and giving all I've got. It's the only thing we can do as parents. No one else will do that for them.

As someone who has played on the line multiple times, give me a PM.

Also the resources for depression are vast and easily accessible. I never used them myself, but in retrospect I really should have. It helps.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=depression+help+line&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=1uxQV-KQFZjUyALmv6OoBQ

If anyone knows his addy might be worth a call to the local authorities to go check up on him.

Have no idea if he's serious or looking for sympathy.

Chip, come on! You're having a bad night. You're going to have up and down nights for a while. But at some point, things will stabilize and get better. Stop talking this way.

Your daughter > you

Remember that.

If anyone knows his addy might be worth a call to the local authorities to go check up on him.

Have no idea if he's serious or looking for sympathy.

All we can do is speculate. No one can ever know someone else's mind. Ever. Related or not. Blood or not. Twin or not.

I want the three of us to be a family again. There's no hope for that, and that's not a life I want to live.

Suicide is the only thing that can guarantee you're never a family again. It's literally the one thing you can do that will prevent a reunion with them with absolute finality.