• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

And guys, I'm not going to tell anyone how to feel about Chip or how to deal with him.

What is important is that he is human as we all are and we all live and die by our own personal choices.

So just make those choices.

And I choose to call BS on someone who has a pattern of dishonest behaviour and complete lack of self responsibility.

There are many degrees of gravity in dishonest behaviour, and while you are obviously entitled (?) to continue acting as you are, think about this.

And it would be good to hear how you calculate the "degree of responsibility" (with "soul reading"?): I suppose at this point everyone obviously agrees on the objective elements of the situation at hand.

But you should also recognize that me – or you – could have done much worse should we have lived in "Chip's shoes" so to speak.

Ever considered that? :)

If he would have done worse he would have been treated worse.

Nothing about what's been said about his words or actions are in the least belligerent. In fact they've been incredibly gentle compared to those that have done "worse" here.

I can't speak for you, but I can answer "NO" for myself and pretty much instantly. This isn't an Act of God or sudden bolt from the blue. This is decades in the making, by his own admission. Today's reality is the result of every decision, act, and failure to act for probably a good 20 years. That's why attempts to put you or me or anyone else in anyone else's shoes as an excuse for their behavior is folly.

I love you Claudio, but I have to agree with Chris. Yes, all good hearted people should hope that he will straighten himself out on the right path going forward, and several people have shown compassion by offering serious help, but that cannot mitigate the finding of responsibility.

I am also struck by how "incredibly gentle" this has been, which I would never criticize obviously, but it is especially striking considering how much worse it has been for others who indeed had done less.

The minute this dude became a father should have been a big wake up call that it's not just about him anymore.

It's funny: I told him the same thing almost two years ago!

The point I'm trying to make is if you have a drive,tenacity and know how nothing can get in your way.

I have those things maybe 1/4 of the time. I've struggled my whole life with being a lazy good-for-nothing with no aspirations, no work ethic and zero motivation. Now that I have everything to gain I'm without the tools to maximize my efforts. It's a huge struggle for me.

Peace,

Chip

This should have changed as soon as you became a father. :makepoint:

I guess all of the words of advice posted in that thread almost two years ago fell on deaf ears.

Hi Harvey, :hi: glad you pulled up that thread.

I forgot all about that one. But Chip, did you move? Your rent used to be only $750 a month and now you are paying $1470? Why did you do that? I see decent looking places in Myrtle Beach that rent for $600 a month. Time to break that lease.

Anyways Chip I do wish you good luck with the new job.

And guys, I'm not going to tell anyone how to feel about Chip or how to deal with him.

What is important is that he is human as we all are and we all live and die by our own personal choices.

And I choose to call BS on someone who has a pattern of dishonest behaviour and complete lack of self responsibility.

There are many degrees of gravity in dishonest behaviour, and while you are obviously entitled (?) to continue acting as you are, think about this.

And it would be good to hear how you calculate the "degree of responsibility" (with "soul reading"?): I suppose at this point everyone obviously agrees on the objective elements of the situation at hand.

But you should also recognize that me – or you – could have done much worse should we have lived in "Chip's shoes" so to speak.

lol Speak for yourself. I think most around here would man up and do what needs to be done to get themselves out of financial dire straits before employing shady tactics to extract money from strangers. I can guarentee you 100% there are folks on these boards that are in worse financial shape then this gent Chip. The minute this dude became a father should have been a big wake up call that it's not just about him anymore.

Toy figures then comics, glad I don't collect baseball cards.

If only that is how it always worked. I know I'm not the only one who was more sympathetic knowing he has a kid.

Honestly, knowing he has a kid and still went on with that "woe is me" claptrap just made me more frustrated with him. We've put off starting a family for the last 2 plus years while I left a pretty lucrative career and went to back to school to do something different. And believe me, it's been a struggle. We're making ends meet, but there's not much left after the bills are paid. I've been pulling 12-18 hour days between school, work, and clinical rotations at the hospital, and I've loved almost every minute of it. Because I know it's leading somewhere good.

Chip seems to focus on what he doesn't have, but I see that picture of his beautiful kid, and frankly, I envy him. Sometimes you have to take stock in what you have and go from there, and everything else will fall into place if you work for it.

Yep.

If you want more in life, you generally have to work for it. I'm working 7 days a week going on 8 months right now, all for the better. The world owes us nothing.

You want to help Chip out? Don't keep handing him money with one hand while you cup his balls in the other.

Pretty sure it was Roy who told him not to make selling comics his bread and butter in a thread ages ago.

I must've missed that. But then why keep sending him more books to sell? hm

Something about a Dog in the Monkey house reaching the third moon of Capricorn over the Masonic Temple in Jonestown....made him do it.

I've never understood how my life can be predetermined based upon when my parents decided to have sex.

I blame a lot of my life on when your parents decided to have sex.

I will bring this up to them - I will have a response for you by next week.

Well generally strikes are handed out the next day, so he may get a strike tomorrow.

Whelp I was wrong. Apparently he is the new Teflon Man, free to do as he likes.

teflonman.jpg

I blame fatherless mods and a materialistic nation of wimps. I've already begun to plant my survival seeds in preparation of the inevitable gubbamint takeover.

Obeezy's black helicopters have arrived! Operation Northwoods! Magic Bullet! Where are the Fathers?! The Fathers!?!?!

You want to help Chip out? Don't keep handing him money with one hand while you cup his balls in the other.

Pretty sure it was Roy who told him not to make selling comics his bread and butter in a thread ages ago.

Something about a Dog in the Monkey house reaching the third moon of Capricorn over the Masonic Temple in Jonestown....made him do it.

I've never understood how my life can be predetermined based upon when my parents decided to have sex.

There's WAY too much sharing going on in this thread.

lol Speak for yourself. I think most around here would man up and do what needs to be done to get themselves out of financial dire straits before employing shady tactics to extract money from strangers. I can guarentee you 100% there are folks on these boards that are in worse financial shape then this gent Chip. The minute this dude became a father should have been a big wake up call that it's not just about him anymore.

If only that is how it always worked. I know I'm not the only one who was more sympathetic knowing he has a kid.

Honestly, knowing he has a kid and still went on with that "woe is me" claptrap just made me more frustrated with him. We've put off starting a family for the last 2 plus years while I left a pretty lucrative career and went to back to school to do something different. And believe me, it's been a struggle. We're making ends meet, but there's not much left after the bills are paid. I've been pulling 12-18 hour days between school, work, and clinical rotations at the hospital, and I've loved almost every minute of it. Because I know it's leading somewhere good.

Chip seems to focus on what he doesn't have, but I see that picture of his beautiful kid, and frankly, I envy him. Sometimes you have to take stock in what you have and go from there, and everything else will fall into place if you work for it.

I had some similar feelings. Fatherhood should change things. But you know what might also be nice? If people thought about things a little bit ahead of time and tried to shore up their lives before deciding having kids. Whether you're ready or not, you have an absolute duty to that kid. Not a secret duty, or a surprise duty, but an obvious and significant and lifelong duty to teach the right things AND to be responsible. It will be the most important thing you ever do. Why the eff don't more people get prepared more for the biggest FINANCIAL and PERSONAL decision of their life??? This sentiment doesn't really matter anymore now for cc, but there's still lots of other people out there who still have the chance to think it through a bit and prepare....

Also, and this honestly isn't a pile-on, just some constructive criticism for chip: I get that most of your money was made from eBay, but when you sold here on the boards, your threads just felt lazy to me. And I get that time has value. As a seller it may not feel like it's worth it to put in time for cheap items at lower margins. But as a buyer it's also not worth it to put in time to guess about conditions or editions or descriptions or even prices in many cases. I get that's it's a style preference and that plenty of people may have gotten great deals, I have no doubt you left money on the table by trying to sell via 'groupshot' over and over. And it sounds like you can't afford to leave money on the table. You wanna do the bare minimum or less? Don't be surprised when you make the minimum or less, or that other people start to think you're a bare minimum type of seller....

I do wish you the best of luck, and do think that lots of people can and do change for the better. I lived out of my car for one summer, and in hindsight it was the best and worst summer of my life. There are things you can't learn any other way, things I wouldn't wish on anybody, but things that still motivate me today, 10 years later.

I told him almost the exact same thing in a PM

There's WAY too much sharing going on in this thread.

Sharing is caring

The Man just want to keep us down. Censorship! CENSORSHIIIIIIIIIIIP!!!

Censorship is not just what you ride on a scenic cruise down the Nile.

I don't wish anything negative on anyone, but I find it ironic that some of the people clamoring the loudest against Chip have their own personal issues regarding getting along on this chat forum.

Is everyone so self righteous that they can just talk about someone like they are a soulless entity. A void? A 2 dimensional cartoon character?

The analogies are unsound if used as direct correlations.

A person is not a frog or a scorpion or a snake.

If they are, which animals are the ones who are pointing fingers?

Gang, we are talking about people, not amphibians or reptiles.

If snakes can't help their nature and zebras can't change their stripes, why do we have a justice system that allows people to restart and rebuild?

With all due respect, did you read the threads from those links?

Nah, he called out super secret mod Flying Donut. Don't pull on Superman's cape.

I should unblock him so I can see that hilarity.

Actually I should mature a bit and not have to block people