• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Head on is the best way. Screw beating around the bush. :grin:

Advice like this is why I never scored when I was younger :cry:

We know why you never scored, you don't have to reinforce it with every post. (thumbs u

You've proven who you are by your posting (tsk)

giphy.gif

Head on is the best way. Screw beating around the bush. :grin:

Advice like this is why I never scored when I was younger :cry:

We know why you never scored, you don't have to reinforce it with every post. (thumbs u

You've proven who you are by your posting (tsk)

lol

I can't figure that one out. Did he already sell the book three weeks ago on eBay? Did the sale fall through? hm

It's a good question but I'm fairly sure that thread is dead.

And it's no where near the 9.6 he assigned it. I suspect someone bought it and returned it. PayPal gives you that luxury.

If you're willing to buy from someone who isn't playing by the rules you're part of the problem.

Seems like more and more of these "craigslist style"listings pop up.

Why you shouldnt deal with this stuff...

Photo of a pile of books, some showing, some covered, some only partially showing.

No actual list of the books being sold (and some aren't visible in the picture)

No grades provided, but a promise of grades.

Selling for a friend

No return policy (on raw books being sold with no grades listed!) but a promise of "Im sure my friend will work something out")

.... what could go wrong ?

But even as Im typing asking the guy to follow the rules, someone else is popping the :takeit: Im assuming cause it's a "great deal"... at least the seller is taking payment via paypal so the buyer has some protection when he gets a pile of books in worse shape than expected, and is missing books that he thought was in the lot...

If you buy from someone blatantly breaking the marketplace rules you're just encouraging the behavior to keep reoccurring...

If you're willing to buy from someone who isn't playing by the rules you're part of the problem.

Seems like more and more of these "craigslist style"listings pop up.

Why you shouldnt deal with this stuff...

Photo of a pile of books, some showing, some covered, some only partially showing.

No actual list of the books being sold (and some aren't visible in the picture)

No grades provided, but a promise of grades.

Selling for a friend

No return policy (on raw books being sold with no grades listed!) but a promise of "Im sure my friend will work something out")

.... what could go wrong ?

But even as Im typing asking the guy to follow the rules, someone else is popping the :takeit: Im assuming cause it's a "great deal"... at least the seller is taking payment via paypal so the buyer has some protection when he gets a pile of books in worse shape than expected, and is missing books that he thought was in the lot...

If you buy from someone blatantly breaking the marketplace rules you're just encouraging the behavior to keep reoccurring...

You don't need to post grades.

7) List scans or information about the grade of the offered books.

Most of the books are mid grade'ish with some higher and some a tad lower. I'll be getting Nicks estimated grades soon and will post but I think it's a pretty decent deal given the lot. If you have questions on any of the books shoot me a pm and I'll get back to you tomorrow night.

(shrug)

The thread isn't perfect at all, but I think we need to pick our fights as there are much worse violations going on these days by social media users flocking here daily. I think the bigger concern is seeing a member with 1 post and a sign up date of that day post a too good to be true deal and people posting "nice books!" and some other fools " :takeit: I'm not worried, PayPal has my buyer protection."

Both bighairjer and Mmanick are good guys and I personally wouldn't be worried about buying from either of them. I don't see anything wrong with buying from a seller you know who has been here for awhile and you trust. If G.A.tor, blazingbob or Superworld had a sales thread like that, I wouldn't hesitate for a second as the person has earned a good reputation.

There are also members that will buy books from anyone here and don't care who the seller is as long as it's a good deal. That to me is a bigger problem than not taking individual scans and assigning individual grades on a lot sale.

I get it Swick, but it's a slippery slope, and not every buyer knows which sellers to be ok with and who not...

My first thought was, he jumped the gun and should have just waited until he could give grades.

My second thought was there's an element of risk since it's a friend of a friend deal.... even if the lister is a known quanitity, we dont know the friend who he is selling on behalf...

To me it's a craigslist type listing, which dont usually fly here, the only difference is that the person listing the lot was a known member, rather than someone with 1 post to date and a day old account.

but I hear you, there are more egregious battles to fight...

I just get more frustrated with the tools that sign up the same day, don't follow a single rule and are only here for $. meh

And they seem to be arriving daily. The sales forum is the Wild West these days. I guess I'm less concerned about known members being efficient ( :gossip: lazy) with their listings than an unknown who couldn't care less about this place and the only reason they're here is an extra 10%.

I just get more frustrated with the tools that sign up the same day, don't follow a single rule and are only here for $. meh

And they seem to be arriving daily. The sales forum is the Wild West these days. I guess I'm less concerned about known members being efficient ( :gossip: lazy) with their listings than an unknown who couldn't care less about this place and the only reason they're here is an extra 10%.

It's always been this way. If it's a good deal there is always someone willing to step on their own mother to get them. These days (had one yesterday), I will send the seller a pm letting them know if they missed something or aren't following the rules. Waaaaaaaaay less drama.

Both bighairjer and Mmanick are good guys and I personally wouldn't be worried about buying from either of them.

+1

Also, didn't see any red flags, or reason to suspect something fishy with listing, so I bought it.

If it turns out I get a stack of confetti/pulp and can't get my money back then I'll have been wrong . . .

[Certainly it won't be the first time this week.]

Sorry you feel that way. In my world I'm a person who follows most rules most of the time, although I'm far from perfect. [but mama always said I'd be a problem one day]

As Harvey mentioned, the grading approximation was sufficient (particularly in light of the pic), and it doesn't really matter to me which are the 4-5 books I couldn't see, since the rest of the books were interesting enough to purchase for the asking price.

: (

If it's a good deal there is always someone willing to step on their own mother to get them.

Most boardie moms are weak and lack discipline.

Need more strong backed moms, one capable of taking a step or two without needing an adjustment.

That will ensure that no good deal goes unclaimed.

MAKE BOARDIE MOMS STRONG BACKED AGAIN!

It's always been this way. If it's a good deal there is always someone willing to step on their own mother to get them. These days (had one yesterday), I will send the seller a pm letting them know if they missed something or aren't following the rules. Waaaaaaaaay less drama.

On the reverse side there are sellers here who could be selling 9.8 raw keys for $1 and I wouldn't buy from them.

As Harvey mentioned, the grading approximation was sufficient (particularly in light of the pic), and it doesn't really matter to me which are the 4-5 books I couldn't see, since the rest of the books were interesting enough to purchase for the asking price.

As long as your comfortable with that wide a grade description, it's your money to spend.

The wideness of the grade range, basically anywhere from VG/F to FN//VF, can mean $100 or more swing on some of those books.

Regardless, it seems worth it, but they weren't the sellers books, so he was not able to tell you in the initial description of any "invisible" issues, such as restoration. That's always a danger in third hand deals.

But it's your cash to spend. With my luck, I'd buy these and there would be a bunch of back cover stains and defects, one of them would be a German variant, or some such. lol

Both bighairjer and Mmanick are good guys and I personally wouldn't be worried about buying from either of them.

+1

Also, didn't see any red flags, or reason to suspect something fishy with listing, so I bought it.

If it turns out I get a stack of confetti/pulp and can't get my money back then I'll have been wrong . . .

[Certainly it won't be the first time this week.]

Sorry you feel that way. In my world I'm a person who follows most rules most of the time, although I'm far from perfect. [but mama always said I'd be a problem one day]

Met’s intentions were good, he just came across a bit radical – but I do agree with Harvey as if it's someone we know (by "know" I also mean know by good reputation, not necessarily close friends, I can fully trust a listing like that. I never bought from bighairjer, but I’d trust him, as I know his name.