• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Planning on listing 600 books for sale in the gold/silver forum next week. Is it preferable to buyers for me to list each book in its own post with inlined photos or place all of the books in a photo gallery and just have a big list of each book with its price in the beginning of the thread? I was leaning towards the list until I considered that listing each book one at a time may have that "feeding frenzy" sort of effect on buyers that you see when people make big threads.

Edited by rsouxlja7

Planning on listing 600 books for sale in the gold/silver forum next week. Is it preferable to buyers for me to list each book in its own post with inlined photos or place all of the books in a photo gallery and just have a big list of each book with its price in the beginning of the thread? I was leaning towards the list until I considered that listing each book one at a time may have that "feeding frenzy" sort of effect on buyers that you see when people make big threads.

IMO the one book per post with fc and bc scans is preferred by buyers. There is no reason you cannot add to the first post with all the technical details a consolidated list of what will be available, but if you are posting 600 books that is going to be a long and tiresome list. Without a list people will check back regularly to see what is new anyway, which is what you want them to do.

The problem with putting up a consolidated list at the start with prices is that you have to be prepared for the "take it pending scan" posts, and the possible conflict with competing buyer demands if rules surrounding "first dibs" are not clearly established. Some sellers are cool with this and encourage it, others less so and it is a personal choice, but if you post a big list with prices you have to be ready for that, and frankly for sellers that do that their lists are usually 20-30 books, not 600.

If you don't post a list and do it one book per post you are guaranteeing people will keep coming back to not only see what's new, but to reevaluate what remains and sometimes to reconsider, and you lose that a bit when you show everything up front, no suspense, no anticipation. 2c

IMO the one book per post with fc and bc scans is preferred by buyers. There is no reason you cannot add to the first post with all the technical details a consolidated list of what will be available, but if you are posting 600 books that is going to be a long and tiresome list. Without a list people will check back regularly to see what is new anyway, which is what you want them to do.

The problem with putting up a consolidated list at the start with prices is that you have to be prepared for the "take it pending scan" posts, and the possible conflict with competing buyer demands if rules surrounding "first dibs" are not clearly established. Some sellers are cool with this and encourage it, others less so and it is a personal choice, but if you post a big list with prices you have to be ready for that, and frankly for sellers that do that their lists are usually 20-30 books, not 600.

If you don't post a list and do it one book per post you are guaranteeing people will keep coming back to not only see what's new, but to reevaluate what remains and sometimes to reconsider, and you lose that a bit when you show everything up front, no suspense, no anticipation. 2c

100% agree with Robert. Unless the list is all key books at rock bottom prices (if so PM me first) then having a steady stream of books being posted up keeps your sales thread at the top of the list and gives people plenty of eye candy to make some impulse buys. If you post a list without prices then you will get a ton of PMs asking for prices so I don't usually post up a list and just start posting scans. Good luck with the sale!

I think you're definitely right. Some of these big threads you'd have like 5 people posting "take it" all at the same time as each new book is posted. It will be fun to be on the selling side in a thread like that lol.

Only a couple people have that kind of clout on the boards (Foolkiller, Dale and a couple others) but it is nice to have a few people picking up books as soon as they get posted. If I have 5 people trying to buy each book I typically look at my prices again lol

100% agree with Robert. Unless the list is all key books at rock bottom prices (if so PM me first) then having a steady stream of books being posted up keeps your sales thread at the top of the list and gives people plenty of eye candy to make some impulse buys. If you post a list without prices then you will get a ton of PMs asking for prices so I don't usually post up a list and just start posting scans. Good luck with the sale!

...with a 600 book thread, you're looking at 60 ++ pages, so I would definitely have a list handy to edit in with what's left(after the fact would be fine...). Personally, I would break it up into several groups, to make it easier for buyers and lookers to navigate. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

I know I prefer individual posts for each (or a few) book(s) with prices/grades/pics in each post, which isn't to say a nice list at the top or end isn't also quite helpful.

One of my least favorite is when a huge list is posted, then they post pics later, and don't repost the price with the scan/pic. Then I have to go back to the original huge list and find my book. Not that I won't buy it if I still want it, just that you might lose some 'impulse' buyers that way.

...with a 600 book thread, you're looking at 60 ++ pages, so I would definitely have a list handy to edit in with what's left(after the fact would be fine...). Personally, I would break it up into several groups, to make it easier for buyers and lookers to navigate. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Absolutely. If a thread hits a large number of pages and doesn't have a recap, either in the beginning or the end, if I haven't been in it since the beginning, I don't like trying to figure out what's been claimed and what hasn't been, so I sometimes will avoid them altogether.

FWIW, for all of my large threads, I try to put a recap at my stopping point (with everything sold marked as such) and a link to it on the first page (and in the subject title). It's more work, but the more buyer-friendly the thread is, the more likely you're going to have success as a seller.

Asking 4 or 5 figures for a book and not rolling the shipping cost into the ask price seems odd to me.

Philosophically, not providing back cover scans bugs me more.

Both are annoying and let's add in a blurry scan. Selling books at this level might merit investing in a decent scanner.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. One more question: is there an optimal day/time for when I should start my sales thread or will it really not matter since I'll likely spend a full day posting books? Was thinking Monday, but I may be able to push it to Sunday if I get all of my scanning done in time. Wasn't sure if Sunday was a good idea with NYCC going on and all.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. One more question: is there an optimal day/time for when I should start my sales thread or will it really not matter since I'll likely spend a full day posting books? Was thinking Monday, but I may be able to push it to Sunday if I get all of my scanning done in time. Wasn't sure if Sunday was a good idea with NYCC going on and all.

Sunday might get you fewer looks as well, since you have football drawing people's attention.

(And I work Sunday and am off Monday, so there's that. :foryou:;) )