• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I hope you all know, I was just defending the people the poster called "lazy or stupid";) Even though I do ship to Canada, that upset me, lol. 

WHO KNEW what would ensue;)

I think you guys should just move down here;)  Our post office loses money too;)  but we don't seem to punish the taxpayers as much;) 

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I hope you all know, I was just defending the people the poster called "lazy or stupid";) Even though I do ship to Canada, that upset me, lol. 

I think you guys should just move down here;)  Our post office loses money too;)  but we don't seem to punish the taxpayers as much;) 

hm I wouldn't mind spending the winter months somewhere warm...

6 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

what the h ell is going on around here?

5 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I've thought about drinking ever since you started trying to figure out these boards;) but you are doing a great job! 

5 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I've thought about drinking ever since you started trying to figure out these boards;) but you are doing a great job! 

yeah right.

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:
1 hour ago, Patriot6 said:

I hear you.

I don;t know where all of this asking to declare as a gift stuff is coming from? I have never asked anyone to do that, but have had several people ask me if I wanted them to do that, all here on the boards. Really at the end of the day I feel like if the gov. really wanted to they could still nail you because at some point it will become evident that you are cheating when they notice 300 gifts a year arriving at you house (shrug)

I was a little carried away thinking of a few ...people, MOST buyers here would be the same as you. But trust me, when I hear how much the tax costs people, I can understand them asking.  I find it mind boggling, that Canada would charge so much.  

The tax isn't so bad, 5% plus a $10 collection fee.  My biggest concern is damage.  A Canadian boardie had a comic worth more than $1k sliced up by the customs guys during their 'inspection'.  And when damage occurs there's no chance of customs paying for the damage.

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I'll ship to anyone here, but I will only ship to people who live out of the US on eBay, if I know them.

2 lost packages, 1 broken package. All 3 were to outside the US.  Two of those were to Canada, one to Peru.  1 additional package where the person (on eBay) claimed an expensive vase was chipped (that was Malaysia). At the time, he would have had to pay to ship it back to me so all of a sudden, he decided it was really fine, now eBay would make me pay for the shipping or the entire item. 

Now those 4 were over a 17 year period, but I've never had any of those problems with US shipping. As a matter of fact, other than one package that was sent to the wrong address (my fault), I've never had any problems with US shipping, but I've had 4 that I remember were to out of the US that were disasters.

This is not counting the time it took 4 weeks for a book to get to France (priority from here) and the person was understandably concerned, and the one time someone was not happy with my description and it cost me a fortune to pay for return shipping (that was on here) ...and the time I forgot not to make out of the US  shipping free ( I just said free shipping, nothing else). I honored the free shipping, but it cost me $40 to ship something it would have cost me $10 to ship here. Now it would probably be $70. At least it was to a nice person.

The forms take a little longer, but once you figure out what numbers they are talking about, they are not so bad and if you have a priority package with the out of the US package, or the out of the US package is priority, the PO will pick them up. If not, the lines are indeed long. Tracking is abysmal unless you do Fedex or UPS, and no one in Canada seems to want  Fedex or UPS.

In addition, I pay for private insurance, so if something is worth more than $200 and I don't know the person well, it has to have a signature. That never goes over well, because it makes the item more expensive. 

Some people seem to forget that we don't get the shipping money if we sell something, so they want a discount. Or I'm asked lots of times for a discount because of the exchange rate :facepalm:  I said OK  once and my husband told me I lost my mind;)

So, you know I love you, Dave...and every time I THINK of not doing out of the US shipping here, I think about you and Andy...and a few other nice souls and I figure what the heck...but it's riskier. 

So I can understand people avoiding it.

I would not avoid it, if I were a professional dealer and I put food on the table selling books. I'd take the risk, but most people here, are not dealers.

Love you too Sharon.  Andy's not so bad either...

1 hour ago, thirdgreenham said:
1 hour ago, Patriot6 said:

Well, I have thought of this many times as well and in reality it sort of makes sense. this will be really boring by the way lol

Because of certain factors such as language rights, each product sold in Canada must have a label in both French and English, and smaller population, 35 million people, scattered across the second largest country by area in the world, things cost more. Take any household product and it will cost about 15%-20% more in Canada versus the US. This led to many people crossing the border to shop, especially when the dollars were at par or buying products on the internet and having them shipped. This became a problem for the government since all of those millions of dollars were not being taxed in Canada. This led to changes in the amount, in dollars, of goods you could buy before being taxed when returning from a shopping trip in the US. Then the Canadian dollar tanked and cross border shopping waned, yet the rules remained as if cross border shopping was at an all time high. Funny how that happens with taxes. 

I know I said it sort of makes sense, that's this part. As I said above Canada is the second largest country on earth. Now think, if one wants to send one lousy letter from one end of the country to the other. They buy one lousy stamp for next to nothing, a dollar I think, some will debate me on the next to nothing part, and away it goes. So, for one dollar you can send a letter 5.5 thousand kilometres. Do you think our government run postal system makes a profit or loses money? It loses. The high cost to maintain the service in all parts of our sparsely populated country coupled with outrageous wages that are paid to postal employees due to the fact they are unionized government employees make any chance at profit impossible. Thus, the tax paid on goods coming through the mail, in my opinion, aids to offset the loses it takes to maintain a decent mail service in this country.    

Yeah, that was boring. lol 

Good god, I could smell the paint drying.  I take it back Patriot 1 - 6, don't come to Calgary..... 

On 9/28/2017 at 6:38 AM, NP_Gresham said:

I still get invoices requesting PayPal personal payment

I just ignore it, but how hard is for sellers to read the rules and stop asking for this.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:21 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Outing them here would probably put an end to it since they seem to only do it in private messages 

:bump: 

International shipping requires that I stand in line and there are few things worse in life than waiting in line at a post office.

Regarding the shipping experience, I have never had a problem with shipping to Canada but it seems like elsewhere there is almost always a problem, ranging from an impatient buyer becoming frustrated that the package is taking too long to get there or items being claimed as not received.