• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

posted this incorrectly in the selling forum, so moving here...

Im currently considering selling an fairly expensive item to an international buyer through the forums using PayPal. Ive sold alot through ebay and some through the forums using Paypal and havent had any issues so far but he buyer is new to the forums. The seller has agreed to a goods and services transactions, and using the shipping address on the paypal account so this all seems legit.

What if any other precautions should I take? And what are the possible ways this sale can go bad for me as the seller? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm noticing a real trend lately and I'm personally finding it a little annoying.

People keep putting up one or two books and say they will post later. 

I hope people know about the announcement thread? That's what it's for.

Personally, I think it's really not fair to the sellers who follow the rules when people set things up that way.  The threads with one or two books keep getting bumped which I don't think is fair to the people who are just running a plain old, "I scanned these and have them ready thread".

Am I missing something, is there a reason people don't just have their books ready when they  set up a thread? I'm not talking about someone who posts an opening and starts 5 minutes later, sometimes things can get a little jumbled.

However, if  you want people to know a fabulous, unfabulous, terrible, wonderful ...or just regular thread is starting, announce  in the announcement thread.

Or is it just me? 

Other opinions? 

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm noticing a real trend lately and I'm personally finding it a little annoying.

People keep putting up one or two books and say they will post later. 

I hope people know about the announcement thread? That's what it's for.

Personally, I think it's really not fair to the sellers who follow the rules when people set things up that way.  The threads with one or two books keep getting bumped which I don't think is fair to the people who are just running a plain old, "I scanned these and have them ready thread".

Am I missing something, is there a reason people don't just have their books ready when they  set up a thread? I'm not talking about someone who posts an opening and starts 5 minutes later, sometimes things can get a little jumbled.

However, if  you want people to know a fabulous, unfabulous, terrible, wonderful ...or just regular thread is starting, announce  in the announcement thread.

Or is it just me? 

Other opinions? 

I’ve seen it done before by the bigger dealers which has been effective. So therefore I did it this last time. I only did that way because I was starting in the middle of the day and didn’t have enough time in between to announce and actually listing of books

Edited by jsilverjanet

I would not have posted if it was one person, Hector, so although I noticed you had done it that way, I didn't post because of you.  It's been happening more and more often lately.   There was one dealer who did it that way in the past, and if I remember correctly, his thread was shut down at least once. 

I just don't think it's fair to the other people selling. It might be effective for the one DOING it, but there are others selling. Imagine if everyone did the same thing? What a mess that would be. 

11 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Charging extra for PayPal is ok on the boards but not ok with PP

If the seller is reported to PP they can have their account revoked. PayPal recently changed their terms of service to make this practice unacceptable 

Interesting. If it's not legit on PP, I don't see why it's okay here ?  I realize we see the +3% a lot here but this seller was unique because he ONLY accepted Paypal. Usually we see check or MO, PP + 3%, buyer's choice, which is okay.  Seems better, if it's only Paypal, to just include it in the price. 

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Interesting. If it's not legit on PP, I don't see why it's okay here ?  I realize we see the +3% a lot here but this seller was unique because he ONLY accepted Paypal. Usually we see check or MO, PP + 3%, buyer's choice, which is okay.  Seems better, if it's only Paypal, to just include it in the price. 

Actually it is the opposite. Paypal’s Rules prevent sellers from placing PP at a disadvantage over other forms of payment. Not sure how this works as the only form?

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:28 PM, thirdgreenham said:

What I can't wrap my head around is how there's no taxes or duties charged to US residents when we Canadians ship across the border.... (shrug) 

When I remember, I'll always gladly violate whatever TERMS of AGREEMENT I made with paypal and offer a 3% discount to buyers who pay with check/mo.  I'll take the risk of both happening in sequence, that (1) I'm reported and (2) paypal then terminates me.

But as to keeping the discount for myself, never; instead would just raise the price a bit to include fees.

19 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
On 10/18/2017 at 11:09 PM, NP_Gresham said:

Charging extra for PayPal is ok on the boards but not ok with PP

If the seller is reported to PP they can have their account revoked. PayPal recently changed their terms of service to make this practice unacceptable 

I assume it is different when sites charge an extra 3% processing fee when you use a credit card?  I know CL does this as well as other auction houses or dealers.  They do of course offer the check/money order route to save the 3%.  I guess this is why when folks do it with PP (which indirectly incurs the credit card charge to the seller), I don't necessarily balk but overall in either case, I find it somewhat distasteful.  If you sell on Ebay, you get zapped when someone pays with PP.  I have always felt it is the cost of doing business and broadening your potential customer base to allow multiple forms of payment as many customers (like me) do not wish to write a check, send it snail mail, and wait for it to clear or go buy a money order/cashier's check.  

I often do write a check for my CL buys or auction invoices depending on the amount because it is can be a fairly healthy savings.

4 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Seller just told me he doesn't differentiate between restored and restored plus trimmed when citing gpa info... 

Um... gpa differentiates, heck cgc differentiates, so if you arent you should probably tell potential buyers.

Followup. Had a nice rational conversation with the guy and he understood what everyone was upset over, was new to the forums, accepted the constructive feedback and he modified his post to avoid confusion or any misleading statements... 

Wow a rational discussion.  I'm not sure what to do now... Good on him for being receptive