• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Wow. That term is just stupid. If PayPal is the only form of payment than he

should have just incorporated the 4% into his asking price. 

I agree. It just looks bad.

Shouldn't this be set in the rules by now? Seller pays PayPal fees.

48 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

I agree. It just looks bad.

Shouldn't this be set in the rules by now? Seller pays PayPal fees.

I don't think the sellers who use that language realize how annoying it is to people. I know if someone wants a fee for using PP, I just pass the thread without looking at the books.  I'm not sure you can rule against something like that, they'll just impose some other surcharge. 

I seem to remember a previous debate on this issue where it was pointed out that openly adding the fees is also against PayPal's terms and conditions for use, is that correct? It may have been in a different context of unfairly prejudicing Paypal as against other forms of payment, which I realize is not strictly speaking the case here, but my assumption has always been that PayPal's rules of service prohibit this...

4 hours ago, CatskillMike said:
22 hours ago, Pontoon said:

And the other thing is that PayPal fees are 3%, not 4%. He's trying to pad an extra 1% into his sale.

That extra 1% is for the "work and trouble" of collecting the 3%. :smirk:

I didn't actually see the thread.  Was there any chance it was a foreign seller and he was just trying to make the conversions were covered too?

In related news, I think adding the paypal fee on the end is generally just a bad marketing tactic, but I don't see anything especially wrong with it ethically, its just not a best practice.

6 hours ago, CatskillMike said:
On 14/8/2017 at 8:22 PM, Pontoon said:

And the other thing is that PayPal fees are 3%, not 4%. He's trying to pad an extra 1% into his sale.

That extra 1% is for the "work and trouble" of collecting the 3%. :smirk:

PayPal fees, for cross-border transactions, can easily reach 4,5-5%.

14 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I'm finding in general a glut of sales threads lately, to which I've admittedly added a few, but that not so much seems to sell nowadays. But really, there's just been a crush of sales threads lately, with the second page having threads sometimes just 1 day old.

The pricing on a lot of threads with unsold books is really on the high side too.  A lot of "UNDER GPA" claims really depend on how you're reading the GPA numbers.  If 90 day GPA is $205, an "under GPA" price of $200 isn't going to attract a lot of attention.

10 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

The pricing on a lot of threads with unsold books is really on the high side too.  A lot of "UNDER GPA" claims really depend on how you're reading the GPA numbers.  If 90 day GPA is $205, an "under GPA" price of $200 isn't going to attract a lot of attention.

I've always wondered about this strategy, when the comparison isn't 'obviously' friendly.  Would it be better just to lay out a price without comparison and hope the buyer just 'thinks' the price is reasonable?  But I guess you also can't put out a bunch of books and quote GPA for some and not others.

I don't think I'd quote GPA unless I was at least 10% under or I want to show a favorable trend.  But then again I have very few slabs worth $200 or more.

3 hours ago, revat said:

I've always wondered about this strategy, when the comparison isn't 'obviously' friendly.  Would it be better just to lay out a price without comparison and hope the buyer just 'thinks' the price is reasonable?  But I guess you also can't put out a bunch of books and quote GPA for some and not others.

I don't think I'd quote GPA unless I was at least 10% under or I want to show a favorable trend.  But then again I have very few slabs worth $200 or more.

Unless you are selling recent books, there isn't always so much information on GPA. You can have one sale that's an outlier either way. There are also times when sales are rising on certain things. I'm always tempted to just write my "price guess" instead of Bin;) 

19 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I'm finding in general a glut of sales threads lately, to which I've admittedly added a few, but that not so much seems to sell nowadays. But really, there's just been a crush of sales threads lately, with the second page having threads sometimes just 1 day old.

Price is everything. 

There may be a LOT of people putting books up for sale (fishing), but not really motivated to sell.   People who figure if they can get a good price they will sell, but if not they will hold onto what they have. 

When things are priced differently, the "take it" seems to get posted quick as lightning.   

Last night a book was posted and before I could read the description and type "take it", 3 other board members had already said "take it".  That is what happens when a book is priced to sell.  

I know there is a 4 figure book up for sale right now that I am hoping gets discounted.   I suppose I could PM the seller, but I don't like to negotiate.

Price is everything!

2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Priced to sell, it often seems, means taking a beating. The kind of offers I sometimes get are extraordinary lowballs.

The true reality of collectibles. In general they are worthless. Most just get swapped between flippers.

Those that say its worth something high want to sell, those that say it worth just pennies want to buy.  If you buy it for a investment , well you know what they say about a fool and his money.

6 hours ago, Hudson said:

Price is everything. 

There may be a LOT of people putting books up for sale (fishing), but not really motivated to sell.   People who figure if they can get a good price they will sell, but if not they will hold onto what they have. 

When things are priced differently, the "take it" seems to get posted quick as lightning.   

Last night a book was posted and before I could read the description and type "take it", 3 other board members had already said "take it".  That is what happens when a book is priced to sell.  

I know there is a 4 figure book up for sale right now that I am hoping gets discounted.   I suppose I could PM the seller, but I don't like to negotiate.

Price is everything!

You can always pm a seller and ask if they are going to lower it, most people don't get insulted. IF they say yes and give you a price, you can decide if you like it. 

I don't like bargaining at all, but one of my best friends always says her mother taught her "if you don't ask, you don't get". I cringed the first time I heard that one, but she has a point;) 

On 8/14/2017 at 9:26 AM, skypinkblu said:

I don't think the sellers who use that language realize how annoying it is to people. I know if someone wants a fee for using PP, I just pass the thread without looking at the books.  I'm not sure you can rule against something like that, they'll just impose some other surcharge. 

Yep, a fee free selling venue and they don't even want to pay 3% paypal fees.  I click out as soon as I see it.