• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I've got a question about payments via PayPal.  Since personal payments are not allowed as a listed option, that means payments are subject to PayPal fees of 2.9% + 0.30.  As a seller, do you factor those fees into your list price?  I think for the most part when I've been buying stuff, I've been adding a little on top to cover fees.  But I'm just wondering if i've been too nice this whole time.  I suppose it depends from seller to seller and I should always confirm before issuing payment, but just curious how you factor in fees.

You are being too nice. the paypal fee is the the sellers cost for using paypal to do his/her sale. When the paypal fees are substantial, the sellers often factor that "cost of business" into their asking price. 

Please visit my sales threads in the future and buy from me!

Way too nice, but there are times when I could see people doing that.

The only time I add the fees on top of the agreed price  is when the seller gives me a heck of a deal and seems cool but I dont know them well enough to send it without the protection of a paypal purchase. 

On 7/18/2018 at 11:56 AM, ExNihilo said:

I've got a question about payments via PayPal.  Since personal payments are not allowed as a listed option, that means payments are subject to PayPal fees of 2.9% + 0.30.  As a seller, do you factor those fees into your list price? 

It doesn't matter what the seller charges. There could be a 'buyers premium' or 'insurance' or 'restocking fee' or a little added to the ask for the PP.

As a buyer I have a price. The seller can divvy it up for any fee they want to charge.

I won't give a nickel more to Heritage or CL or eBay or any other venue.

The price I value the book at is the is the same no matter how it is tallied.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:14 AM, Red_Hood said:
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:02 AM, entalmighty1 said:

So what do you do when the seller wants to remain anonymous, for whatever reason?

Is the sale then not valid until you post the "sold via PM" yourself?

I actually like your solution, because it eliminates the need for worrying about timestamps via PM.

Yes, that is exactly what I do.  I'll post the :takeit:for the buyer.  The sale is not final until either I post or the buyer posts it.

The buyers have to realize that there is a certain risk of not getting the book if they decide to go the PM route and/or remain anonymous.

See I have done a 180 on this. I have buyers who choose to remain anonymous. They have been on this board for multiple year.
Why they choose this route I have no idea and really don't care. But my last sales thread I ran into a problem with a PM buy beating out the 
thread :takeit:by well over 10 minutes. My sales thread clearly said the :takeit:triumphs PMs, but the more I thought about it the more I decided

a data stamp was good enough. So now I  make it very clear at the beginning that time stamp is what I go by. In some cases it has made a difference,

maybe 5% of the time.

23 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Thanks for all the feedback.  I think it started out because I was new to the boards and didn't have any history as a buyer/seller so I tried my best to be as easy and accommodating as possible.

You are definitely too nice, but I totally understand your motivation in the early going.

My thinking is that sellers here are already listing their stuff for free, as opposed to the 10% that they'd have to pay on eBay, CLink, etc. That 3% PP fee is just the simple cost of business, and you're STILL coming out ahead. So many cheapskates around here, it's nuts.

On 7/18/2018 at 1:56 PM, ExNihilo said:

I've got a question about payments via PayPal.  Since personal payments are not allowed as a listed option, that means payments are subject to PayPal fees of 2.9% + 0.30.  As a seller, do you factor those fees into your list price?  I think for the most part when I've been buying stuff, I've been adding a little on top to cover fees.  But I'm just wondering if i've been too nice this whole time.  I suppose it depends from seller to seller and I should always confirm before issuing payment, but just curious how you factor in fees.

I don't factor it in on sales prices.  For me it seems a fairly tough sell on the boards usually even at a discounted price, let alone adding in the fee.

5 minutes ago, DR.X said:

what happened? cliff notes? giant reptile running loose?

I missed the blast off in the Sales Thread, but we're off in running in the Probation Forum. Smoking at the starting gate, on fire at the finish line!

And now the probation thread is gone too... too bad. 

I think if he had approached things more matter-of-fact-ly it could have turned out better for him and his position. 

At no point did he ever say what the agreed-upon payment date was, and it sounds like it wasnt even clear between him and the buyer ("by august" vs "in august") 

Clear terms are key to making your case especially when there are discussions about when it's all due...