• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

And does running out of cardboard mean that I'm buying too little? selling too much? or selling too much to compensate for buying too much? hm

When you figure out which one of those is correct, can you let me know? hm

Even after all the sales threads I've run here, I've never had to purchase a single roll of bubble wrap, or any peanuts (and packing tape I've had in steady supply since my father-in-law gifted me almost a box full). With plain brown boxes either coming from boardies or online stores, or free from the post office, and my reusing the cardboard that comes with everything I've ever bought -- I not only have never had to buy a single packing supply, but I have extra of everything in huge abundance. :whatthe:

I buy way too much apparently. lol :facepalm:

Since I never sell and hoard parcels packaging I get from here or my music,record buys I'm swimming in cardboard and bubble wrap.Mz Porcupine wants me to sell some pro code whoore comics,but that's not happening.I've maybe sent out three,four things in my decade here-humantorch,thirdgreenham and artboy99-I don't think I've forgotten and American friends I may have shipped to?Oh,MrHighgrade got the grading contest prize from me so five?

The cats knocked over my precious box of popcorn vault and well,that I was told couldn't stay.

I know,damn fascinating,rite?

Everyone in my family is fascinated with my eBay selling (not sure why, but they think it's novel) so I am always supplied with bubble wrap and boxes. I finally had to start turning down those air cushion things, they just take up too much space. I don't get packing peanuts much anymore, seems like most places have switched to air cushions or that injected foam stuff.

But I'm done cutting up cardboard boxes. I buy pre-cut boards from Gemini. Sometimes i have to cut cardboard if I'm selling a magazine or GN or something, but otherwise it's just not worth the time. I'm sure I'm overpaying for pieces of cardboard, but the time saved cutting it up is well worth it. Cutting cardboard was the bane of my existence for many years. hate it!

29 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Everyone in my family is fascinated with my eBay selling (not sure why, but they think it's novel) so I am always supplied with bubble wrap and boxes. I finally had to start turning down those air cushion things, they just take up too much space. I don't get packing peanuts much anymore, seems like most places have switched to air cushions or that injected foam stuff.

But I'm done cutting up cardboard boxes. I buy pre-cut boards from Gemini. Sometimes i have to cut cardboard if I'm selling a magazine or GN or something, but otherwise it's just not worth the time. I'm sure I'm overpaying for pieces of cardboard, but the time saved cutting it up is well worth it. Cutting cardboard was the bane of my existence for many years. hate it!

What size? I tried those and found them to small before gold/silver Gerbers

I really like when I get a parcel from someone on here and I can see that it's been used and resused several times-past names and addys scribbled out,stickers put over stickers and then a backing board taped over it all lol Layers of travelling history,I like to imagine what comics have called it home briefly.I have a medium sized box a boardie here sent me a pile of Charltons in that I collaged up and still use to put books in raw that need the bag and board treatment.I've had it since 2009-I think there's something wrong with me!I probably get it from being raised by my grandfolk mostly,who never forgot what it was like in the war years.Thrifty,but not cheap.

16 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Since I never sell and hoard parcels packaging I get from here or my music,record buys I'm swimming in cardboard and bubble wrap.Mz Porcupine wants me to sell some pro code whoore comics,but that's not happening.I've maybe sent out three,four things in my decade here-humantorch,thirdgreenham and artboy99-I don't think I've forgotten and American friends I may have shipped to?Oh,MrHighgrade got the grading contest prize from me so five?

The cats knocked over my precious box of popcorn vault and well,that I was told couldn't stay.

I know,damn fascinating,rite?

Uh, dude. You're like that guy at the office who hoards all the inter-office envelopes. The front desk is looking furiously for some inter-office envelopes, as they have an urgent memo to distribute, but the front desk can't find any. Why? Because porcupine48 has a drawer full to bursting with inter-office envelopes that he won't release into the office memo flow ecosystem.

Bad porcupine, bad jimmers. (tsk)

Send us your hidden treasures, your LPs, your pre-code majesties, your beat up copy of X-Force 1 that you don't want other collectors to know about, send us those. 

11 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I know I've received a super deluxe X shipment,

Many people have received super deluxe X shipments over the years in the wee hours of the morning, but its a forbidden subject and not to be discussed.

16 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

What size? I tried those and found them to small before gold/silver Gerbers

The Gemini dividers/pads are 7 x 11 according to their website. I primarily do moderns, so they work for me. If I'm doing the occasional Gold, or Mags, GN's, etc then I have to bite the bullet and cut up boxes...which is one of the reasons I don't deal in much other than moderns!

6 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Uh, dude. You're like that guy at the office who hoards all the inter-office envelopes. The front desk is looking furiously for some inter-office envelopes, as they have an urgent memo to distribute, but the front desk can't find any. Why? Because porcupine48 has a drawer full to bursting with inter-office envelopes that he won't release into the office memo flow ecosystem.

Bad porcupine, bad jimmers. (tsk)

Send us your hidden treasures, your LPs, your pre-code majesties, your beat up copy of X-Force 1 that you don't want other collectors to know about, send us those. 

I can't imagine the shipping lol 1-2 LPs run about fifteen-twenty beans now.Free shipping is a BIG bonus when I browse.

I'm proud to say I still have my reader X-Force 1 I bought off the newstand,although I think my nephew took home the Deadpool card.It's in the box of readers I have for when the nieces and nephews visit.

12 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Why do people feel the need to add the word "solid" before a grade?  I had a guy tell me a book was a solid Fair once, and I replied "there's nothing solid about a Fair"

I think I've used the term before VERY sparingly, usually when I've graded a book very conservatively and won't bring myself to go the higher grade, even though the book probably could safely be assigned that grade.

Sharon's explanation of "hype" is likely spot-on, though.  lol