• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Looking at the Detective 111 CGC 6.5 he price justifies his $475 asking price by saying "last sale of a 5.0 was $500.00!" 

Except he ignores that there was a more recent sale of a 5.0 for only $360... and that the $500 sale was back in Feb, which is even further back than a sale of an ACTUAL CGC 6.5, for the price of $410

Talk about cherry picking!

7 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Looking at the Detective 111 CGC 6.5 he price justifies his $475 asking price by saying "last sale of a 5.0 was $500.00!" 

Except he ignores that there was a more recent sale of a 5.0 for only $360... and that the $500 sale was back in Feb, which is even further back than a sale of an ACTUAL CGC 6.5, for the price of $410

Talk about cherry picking!

I have updated the post to include all of the sales data you note above. thanks for providing the info 👍

44 minutes ago, Caff54 said:

I have updated the post to include all of the sales data you note above. thanks for providing the info 👍

See! Good sellers getting feedback and not losing their minds! @Caff54 an example to all!

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Anyone know why was Catrick339 (Rick's) sales thread closed?  Just curious - I just noticed it and he has run a lot of sales and is a good guy to deal with.

The thread is back up and he mentioned something about a Preacher 1?    Is there something about that book? 

1 minute ago, Spidey 62 said:

The thread is back up and he mentioned something about a Preacher 1?    Is there something about that book? 

I think because it was a modern book.  Silly that whoever reported it couldn't have just PMed him or politely pointed it out in the thread.  That is what I do even when items are posted on other sites.  If they don't comply, then report it.  Or a frequent abuser, I can see a quick report but Rick has been here and run lots of good sales threads.

3 hours ago, telerites said:

I think because it was a modern book.  Silly that whoever reported it couldn't have just PMed him or politely pointed it out in the thread.  That is what I do even when items are posted on other sites.  If they don't comply, then report it.  Or a frequent abuser, I can see a quick report but Rick has been here and run lots of good sales threads.

Agree completely. I think every person deserves a fair interval to fix their thread, and especially in the case of established Boardies they deserve that respect and consideration. The button thumping should be reserved for chronic trouble makers and the "too cool for rules" types who ignore polite FYIs. 

...and you know who I'm talking about, the Facebook, Insta-Twatter drifter trash, like Johnny the Boy...

...goes to water on a dummy... :facepalm:

Johnny-Mad Max 1979 movie pic4.jpg

7 hours ago, telerites said:

Do we know if it is other users reporting this stuff or just the mods playing hall monitors?

It's ridiculous either way to not give sellers a chance to fix any silly issues like these.

But I guess the nuclear option is the go to.

31 minutes ago, Park said:

Do we know if it is other users reporting this stuff or just the mods playing hall monitors?

It's ridiculous either way to not give sellers a chance to fix any silly issues like these.

But I guess the nuclear option is the go to.

I don't believe the mods actively monitor.  Perhaps there was a notice prior to a report - I guess we don't know for sure.  Still love the sales threads here and really we have a pretty good system that doesn't have a lot of issues other than a few loose cannons but that seems rare given the number of sales threads.  You can't beat the variety and sellers if you're a buyer and listing/selling without costs is a big win for sellers.

19 minutes ago, telerites said:

I don't believe the mods actively monitor.  Perhaps there was a notice prior to a report - I guess we don't know for sure.  Still love the sales threads here and really we have a pretty good system that doesn't have a lot of issues other than a few loose cannons but that seems rare given the number of sales threads.  You can't beat the variety and sellers if you're a buyer and listing/selling without costs is a big win for sellers.

I agree with you.

My concern is that in the haste to make sure things don't get out of control, we have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. 

Catrick has been here a long time, is known by many people here personally and from everything I can see, just wants to sell some books to other collectors and not squeeze all the profit.

Getting top dollar is fine and I am not frowning upon that but the collector to collector vibe this board had for years is gone. Blanket deletions of sales threads ensures that it will always be gone. 

Moderation should consider this on a case by case basis. Small oops from a seller that is clearly not a volume seller? Give them a day to fix the transgression. The guy who is only here for the best price and typically doesn't care about the rules? A little more heavy handed.

That would entail the mods being more in tune with the people and personalities on this board but how on Earth is that a bad thing?

My two cents while I avoid working.

6 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:
8 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Would a thread of old pulps be welcome in GSB? 

I think it's appropriate.  There's definitely crossover with the time period I guess.  Also, only 6 people will see it in Mixed. (shrug) 

I think so too. GSB specifies time periods, not the items, as books, magazines, fanzines and other fantasy, sci-fi and crime publications have been sold successfully in the GSB forum. Many pulps have spectacular covers and cover art so you would at least get a lot of looks, and Rob is right you will get way more in GSB. 

@entalmighty1 @crassus @skypinkblu @porcupine48 Thank you all for the reassurances! I have seen them on rare occasion offered here; but I wouldn't want to do it if they are seen as crowding out our primary collecting interest of comics. Many of them are from comics publishers; they have always felt to me like a sort of ancestor, more so than say big little books. Long as they are welcome, I will try to get my head around them and give them a try here in the future. If nothing else, I do think people will enjoy looking and discussing them, and that's a good thread to me.

One thing to remember is that many of the GA comic covers were either derived directly from or were obviously imitating the pulps. This was true I believe of many of the ACE romance painted covers, as well as various PCH and Fiction house covers. Pulp collectors and Comic collectors are, yes, often 2 different crowds, but their historical connection is pretty significant and sometimes direct. 2c