• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

But y? Does anyone really receive that many unwanted PM’s? 

I've tried to solicit unwanted PMs just to feel loved but never received any :sorry:

But I agree - never understood why someone would tick that.  Can you still ignore a user?  That way you can be selective since I think ignoring doesn't let them send you a PM as well as not seeing their content.

@miraclemet  Maybe they toggled it by mistake?

2 minutes ago, telerites said:

I've tried to solicit unwanted PMs just to feel loved but never received any :sorry:

But I agree - never understood why someone would tick that.  Can you still ignore a user?  That way you can be selective since I think ignoring doesn't let them send you a PM as well as not seeing their content.

@miraclemet  Maybe they toggled it by mistake?

I first thought "did someone who was ignoring me somehow by a book in my sales thread?" (which would be tough to do since they're ignoring me, which hides my posts I think (or at least it used to...)

I've tagged them in a post in my sales thread hoping that will pop up on their notices...

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I first thought "did someone who was ignoring me somehow by a book in my sales thread?" (which would be tough to do since they're ignoring me, which hides my posts I think (or at least it used to...)

I've tagged them in a post in my sales thread hoping that will pop up on their notices...

Got your notice. I checked my account and the box is still checked on receive messages, but I went ahead and resaved the settings. I've also sent a PM to you. Let me know here if you didn't get it. I'm getting other PMs, and you are definitely not on ignore. Hoping it's just some momentary glitch. 

On 6/2/2019 at 3:19 AM, entalmighty1 said:

People telling you about the census, and how the other 3 copies aren't coming to market anytime soon, as if they have inside information. 

Ehhh....I dunno, I'm with you on your other points, but not this one. It's certainly possible that the seller OWNS the other 3 copies, too. That's certainly been the case with me. 

But yes, disingenuous and dishonest sales tactics suck.

I had two sales threads going last week, closed them down on Sat morning. I have made more sales of those books since threads closed than I did when they were open for a week or so! (shrug)

On 6/3/2019 at 2:55 AM, telerites said:

I hope you reconsider, Rob.  There are always have been and always will be deceitful sales tactics in any marketplace.  I've been here now almost 12 years and except for the GA forum, the marketplace is the place I frequent the most.  In all of those 12 years, I have never had a purchase or sale go afoul.  I normally purchase from known sellers or those with some credentials.  

We do get a lot more low-post sellers which I guess is a good comment for these boards as they have gained notoriety.  I actually have recommended the boards to some including Ebay sellers I have bought from.  We cannot cure the spurious tactics but our group does a pretty, darn good job of policing and detecting. 

I do miss that some good sellers no long post for whatever reason.  Still lots of good books being posted.  

See you at OAFCON?  Met you at the last one via Mr. B's introduction while we were milling around his booth.  

Hey Jeff!  :foryou: 

I'm not sure about OAF this year, but I am going to Baltimore for the first time.  We'll see if I can convince the wife I should go to both. :) 

58 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

The FS forum seems a little slow lately.  

Just now, Columbia Comics said:

People keep losing books...

Normally I would laugh but, as you know, it's not funny.  It's actually sad.  

Lately, I’ve seen the phrase “and he didn’t even apologize!” pop up repeatedly both here and in the CG eBay threads. I’m inclined to ask: is a seller apologizing to you really that important?

If the seller refunds your purchase price and shipping both ways but neglects to use a phrase like “I’m sorry”, “my fault/bad”, “please forgive me” you’re actually still going to be dissatisfied?

Or, conversely, taking the phrase literally, if you got no refund and are stuck with an item you don’t want BUT the seller verbally gets on bended knee, apologizes profusely and begs your forgiveness, you would actually walk away satisfied because ‘at least he apologized’?

I get that it’s nice to have a seller acknowledge our dissatisfaction with an apology. But if a seller completely refunds my money, provide a comparable replacement, has the book re-slabbed or in some other way ‘makes it right’,  honestly, I personally could care less whether he apologizes or not. 

And likewise, if he fails to make it right, all the apologizing in the world seems hollow to me. 

12 hours ago, Columbia Comics said:

People keep losing books...

Brock

This happened to me on Comiclink not too long ago.  I made an offer on a book through the exchange, the seller countered, I accepted.  It was a decent deal on the book.  Around a $300 GA book.  I sent in a check to avoid the credit card fees.  Then a week later, I get an email from CL saying the seller said the book was no longer available and he had made a mistake.  Curious, he actually countered on a book he no longer had.  I believe seller's remorse but since CL doesn't require the book to be in their possession for exchange listings, nothing I could do although I griped to CL.  It looks like they may have changed their process now though for a seller confirmation before the buyer can pay.  The worst part is I had to wait for CL to deposit my check then wait for them to process and cut checks so I was out of my money for over a month.  

And just a few weeks ago, I made an offer on Ebay which was accepted.  I paid then about three days, I get a refund and note saying the seller couldn't find the book. 

Something amiss with a seller like this - whether is it disorganization or mistruth or both the seller needs to clean up their process.

Sorry this happened.

@telerites

thanks for the kind words.  It’s not so much that the book has gone missing, it’s the complete lack of interest in at least attempting to make amends.  The complete dismissal “it’s lost, here’s your money back, GFY” that burns me up. 

While I’ve never lost a book, I have some it on eBay and then it resold on my site Bc I forgot to take it down.

However, I handled the situation completely differently, explained what happened, apologized and then offered a discount on a future purchase.  Guess what happened?   Buyer came back and bought a different book WITH the discount.  Win win! 

I believe this seller has been called out for questionable selling prior to this incident.  And yeah, an apology does go a long way. 

50 minutes ago, Columbia Comics said:

However, I handled the situation completely differently, explained what happened, apologized and then offered a discount on a future purchase.  Guess what happened?   Buyer came back and bought a different book WITH the discount.  Win win! 

And this is why you have a 100% rating and a respected, quality seller reputation.  All good points made above.