• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Hongalez said:

Also, if asking for what's your best price is also poor form on these boards then duly noted. Generally that's how many exchanges for any kind of person to person commerce is done.

yes, when a purchase is going to be made. 

10 minutes ago, Bird said:

"would you do $450" sounds like an offer, not just a hypothetical

It is just about clarity I think. 

I had a rocky start here, so don't let it get you down. But it seems to be shenanigans to inquire about specific prices and then equivocate (is that the right word?), so I'd would just chalk it up to misunderstanding.

Agreed.  The “would you do $450 shipped?”  sounds like an offer. Even though the qualifier “....if so, I’ll take it” wasn’t added, because it’s an inquiry for a specific amount I think most would assume that the “take it” is implied if the seller agrees to the amount. 

If a buyer simply wants to know ‘what’s the lowest you’ll go?’ he probably should just lead with that rather than throwing out specific amounts.*

*to be clear, when I’m selling I’m not a fan of being asked the ‘what’s your lowest’ question, I’d much rather receive a specific amount offer.  Just make sure it’s what you’re actually comfortable paying in case I say yes. 

Edited by Number 6

1 hour ago, Hongalez said:

I am genuinely curious on how this was an improper exchange on my part. I inquired about a price that Mijael would take, and he interpreted that as a claim or "I'll take it" which I never did. When I asked to hang a sec he got really upset and reports me to this board? That seems a bit irrational to me. And now, mischaracterizing my honest statement of consulting a friend on the purchase as if I was trying to flip it? Come on, that is not what I was doing at all. I'm a collector, not a speculator. Not here looking to make a fast buck at all, here because I love comics and have been collecting for over twenty years... just new to these boards... In any event, I believe this exchange stands as not a testament to me as a buyer, but to Mijael as a seller... Buyer Beware... he is a very difficult person to work with. Glad I was on the fence about this purchase as who knows what other shenanigans could have happened down the road if he's pulling this kind of stuff on these boards. 

That's considered an offer around here but you're pretty new here and I can understand that you might not realize that.  Perhaps burning you at the stake is a bit forward

1 hour ago, Hongalez said:

Ultimately I think this is the crux of it. Semantics matter here. I made the literal definition of an inquiry. I asked, "would you do $450 including shipping?" That's an inquiry. 

Were you looking to purchase a book or taking a survey? This isn't complicated. Don't bring that semantics nonsense here.

59 minutes ago, Hongalez said:

Sincere thank you to Bird & Number 6 for the objective perspective. Mijal - please accept my sincere apology for the misunderstanding.

Cheers to you all and have a great weekend. 

I do think there is an implication that if he agrees to your proposal you will take the book. 

A PM probably would have been a better approach to resolving.  Regardless, as @Bird said, it was a mistake and maybe a rocky introduction, but don't let it get you down. This is a great community.

Welcome to the boards.  

39 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Thanks for quoting my name, Jimmers.  Miss you, buddy.   Hope all is great with you and wish you nothing but the best!

Andy

It's good to see you posting again, Andy and Jimmers.  

Edited by comicdonna

30 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:
5 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I've had some really great experiences in some higher value trades with @thehumantorch(hey Dave,we should catch up friend) and @thirdgreenham(I hope he's around and doing well?)but we're all Canadian and know each other eh? They'd ttc skidaddler on down to Chinatown and spill hot pho on me if I mucked about.

I've been away a while and it was sad catching up on the topcity debacle-and Rick Starr?I got one of my fave books from him.

Would someone kindly link me to that please?

Thanks for quoting my name, Jimmers.  Miss you, buddy.   Hope all is great with you and wish you nothing but the best!

Andy

You've both been missed.

1 hour ago, thirdgreenham said:

Andy

Oh,hey,I saw Daves post first! I hope it was okay summoning lol you?

And right back atchoo friend.I've thought about messaging and saying hi-I didn't get a birthday reminder yet this year,but I've thought of you.

22 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:
On 3/6/2021 at 12:36 AM, comicdonna said:

It's good to see you posting again, Andy and Jimmers.  

:hi: Mike

Get a room, nerds. 

2 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

In the history of threats this isn't that scary.  Just sayin.

I'll soak 'em in hot Tims double double and throw with the speed of Messier defending Gretzky then?

While dressed and dancing like this! :sumo:

88ad91cb-58fd-4202-9c92-56eb503fd112.jpg