• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2024 at 12:23 PM, Number 6 said:

For life of me, I can't figure out the behavior around this event.

A few years ago I purchased a book that was one of the "dregs" left over after the feeding frenzy was done.  For the condition and price of what I received my overall experience was....o.k.  It wasn't in anyway a bad experience, it was fine.  And I would probably buy from them again...if it wasn't for the extreme competitive behavior of others in these threads. 

But I didn't feel like what I received was massively undergraded and/or underpriced either, certainly nothing that would make me feel the need to start slamming the "take it" button before hardly even seeing what I was claiming.

But again, not faulting the seller, if he can generate that kind of "enthusiasm" more power to him.  It's just a strange thing to watch sitting here on the sidelines.

That's where I'm at. It has nothing to do with the seller, just the frenzied behavior of buyers making purchases before they've even had time to process a purchasing decision. It's not how I approach buying so I find it interesting and curious. 

To be honest.  When I sold off the majority of my GI Joe action figure collection, I dropped it on Facebook and structured a claim sale modeling the timing and drops like Dale.

I made a complete killing.  

The FOMO was on fire and I took full advantage of it generating probably around 25% or more on top of pandemic lockdown prices than I normally should have.  

The feeding frenzy in Dale's threads were much worse back about 10 years ago. I recall some books with 10-15 takes within seconds of a post lol. I agree that it's crazy that the takes seem to happen without regard for price or grade considerations but you just need to "stay in your lane" and be educated on what you are buying from a price point perspective. I have no problem paying near top of market for a book or books that are in my collecting focus that have proven to be a bit hard to find. I've been mostly able to resist to blindly :takeit:and do some quick research on value. I've never had an issue with the grading for sure. 

On 1/5/2024 at 11:59 AM, pickycollector said:

In all honesty, I must admit that I do understand a frenzy on high grade Silver and Bronze Charlton books, they are hard to find in high grade and still very cheap.

I am still waiting for almost 15 years for somebody to list high grade copies of Charlton's Cheyenne Kids. I will soon reach 15 years in the CGC Forum (:ohnoez:) and never seen any listed yet.

My comment on the Charlton stuff was mostly in jest. The observation is really the part about buying books with frantic immediacy practically sight unseen. I know FOMO buying can be fun and thrilling, especially when you "win" by throwing down the take before everyone else. It seems potentially dangerous to me but as long as buyers have a budget and plan then it's probably a non issue. 

On 1/6/2024 at 10:47 AM, universal soldier said:

The feeding frenzy in Dale's threads were much worse back about 10 years ago. I recall some books with 10-15 takes within seconds of a post lol

I remember too. Scrolling through those threads took forever. 

While I've not directly participated in Dale's holiday thread this year, I've had a great deal of fun participating/watching on the sidelines.  Dale is a one-man machine running the extensive thread that he does.  I can't even begin to imagine how many hours he devotes to this.  One observation that has really resonated is that It's very apparent that Dale has a great reputation as a seller and it goes back MANY years.  I initially wondered how someone could sort of "blindly" make a knee-jerk purchase without studying the book.  However, having poured over his thread, I see why people snap up his books in the blink of an eye.  He grades accurately and his prices are well, exceptional.  While buying from threads like this may not be for everyone, I definitely see why people gravitate to his thread.

Edited by This is Who We Are

On 2/17/2024 at 10:39 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

So it's February now.

Half past and almost March.

Why, what is going on or who hasn't shipped books out?

On 7/29/2023 at 10:00 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It makes you wonder if some people think the carppy stuff they post is private, or not read by anyone but the person they're ripping on.  Everyone on here, I suspect, has a "personal list" of Boardies they won't buy from or sell to, and a lot of those are probably based on reactions like a-c's.  It's just so unnecessary and short-sighted if you're hoping to move books here.

Yeah. That expression was total overkill considering the circumstances. Not a good look at all, and quite off-putting. Handle disputes with facts, otherwise you come across as a middle schooler.