• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2023 at 9:00 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It makes you wonder if some people think the carppy stuff they post is private, or not read by anyone but the person they're ripping on.  Everyone on here, I suspect, has a "personal list" of Boardies they won't buy from or sell to, and a lot of those are probably based on reactions like a-c's.  It's just so unnecessary and short-sighted if you're hoping to move books here.

100%. 

On 10/6/2023 at 6:52 PM, Gsims718 said:

For clarification, you bought the aforementioned books from Deadlift Collectibles, but if I'm reading things correctly, he wasn't the actual owner of the books -- it was BronzeAgeBrad, who'd sent them to Deadlift for the reholder (and presumably, not only was that not done, but he wasn't paid for those books when they were sold to you, nor was there any arrangement between those two parties to even facilitate a sale).  Am I off-base on that interpretation or misreading something?

If that's the case, and Deadlift was selling books he didn't own without their actual owner's permission, there's a word for that I won't use here.  But it's a word that would be descriptive of actions worthy of, at the least, a Probation nomination, and possibly a HOS nomination.  Since you posted the link here, I figured I'd jump-start the conversation.  You mentioned that BronzeAgeBrad had additional proof that the books were his, and that you were getting a refund, which would seem to indicate that the worst-case scenario that I'm thinking is the case.

If I'm misunderstanding things, my apologies.  If not, then ... yikes, and sorry you're dealing with this.  :eek:

On 10/7/2023 at 12:26 AM, ChiSoxFan said:

For clarification, you bought the aforementioned books from Deadlift Collectibles, but if I'm reading things correctly, he wasn't the actual owner of the books -- it was BronzeAgeBrad, who'd sent them to Deadlift for the reholder (and presumably, not only was that not done, but he wasn't paid for those books when they were sold to you, nor was there any arrangement between those two parties to even facilitate a sale).  Am I off-base on that interpretation or misreading something?

If that's the case, and Deadlift was selling books he didn't own without their actual owner's permission, there's a word for that I won't use here.  But it's a word that would be descriptive of actions worthy of, at the least, a Probation nomination, and possibly a HOS nomination.  Since you posted the link here, I figured I'd jump-start the conversation.  You mentioned that BronzeAgeBrad had additional proof that the books were his, and that you were getting a refund, which would seem to indicate that the worst-case scenario that I'm thinking is the case.

If I'm misunderstanding things, my apologies.  If not, then ... yikes, and sorry you're dealing with this.  :eek:

You are not misunderstanding anything.  Not sure if anything can be done for the PL since I believe Brad is getting his books back and I am getting a refund, but boardies should be aware of the situation.

According to Brad when he previously asked where his books where he was told they were at cgc and hadn’t been shipped back.  This is all second hand information, as I was not involved in their dealings.

Deadlift is stating this was a mistake he is trying to now remedy, but I won’t be dealing with him again. 

On 10/7/2023 at 12:43 AM, Gsims718 said:

You are not misunderstanding anything.  Not sure if anything can be done for the PL since I believe Brad is getting his books back and I am getting a refund, but boardies should be aware of the situation.

According to Brad when he previously asked where his books where he was told they were at cgc and hadn’t been shipped back.  This is all second hand information, as I was not involved in their dealings.

Deadlift is stating this was a mistake he is trying to now remedy, but I won’t be dealing with him again. 

Thanks for the clarification, and my hopes for a speedy fix for you and Brad.  Also, thanks for making people aware of what's going on. :foryou:

The claims of a mistake being made seem to be dubious, IMO, but the only two people who know 100% what was said and agreed on would be the two other parties involved, though one can certainly draw conclusions.  Even as long as I've been here, and as many PL and HOS nominations I've seen come and go, I'm not 100% sure if one or the other can apply if all affected parties are made whole.  Being made whole and being satisfied with the transaction are two different things though, and there definitely is some value to be attached to how this has affected you, even if your refund comes through, but I'll defer to other senior boardies' takes on what that might entail.

If nothing else, this is how people end up on boardies' "personal lists" for certain.  

On 10/7/2023 at 12:43 AM, Gsims718 said:

In my opinion.....something like this could be considered a Hall of Shame level event.  I would like to hear from @Deadlift Collectibles about it (I realize he's supposed to be having surgery at some point, so may not be available to comment right now).

To claify again, I'm going to detail out the time line I gathered from your post in this and the other thread...and you can correct me if any of it is wrong.

• Over a year ago, Bronze AgeD BRAD sent the three books in question (ASM #300 CGC 9.8....Batman Adventures #12 CGC 9.8.....Marvel Team-Up #141 CGC 9.8) to Deadlift Collectibles to get reholdered for him.
  • When Brad had previously asked Deadlift where the books were, he was told they were at CGC and hadn't been shipped back yet.
  • You (Gsims718) then purchased these three books from Deadlift Collectibles.
  • A month later...Brad contacts you and provides proof that those three books you purchased from Deadlift Collectibles actually belong to him.
  • You are currently waiting for refunds for these three books to clear before returning them.

This all leads me to one observation and one question. 

1. If someone had three of my high value books for over a year just to get reholdered.....I would be up their arse every other day looking for updates.
  2. Once your refund clears....who are you going to return the books to?  Hopefully it's to Brad.

On 10/8/2023 at 1:17 AM, Domo Arigato said:

In my opinion.....something like this could be considered a Hall of Shame level event.  I would like to hear from @Deadlift Collectibles about it (I realize he's supposed to be having surgery at some point, so may not be available to comment right now).

To claify again, I'm going to detail out the time line I gathered from your post in this and the other thread...and you can correct me if any of it is wrong.

• Over a year ago, Bronze AgeD BRAD sent the three books in question (ASM #300 CGC 9.8....Batman Adventures #12 CGC 9.8.....Marvel Team-Up #141 CGC 9.8) to Deadlift Collectibles to get reholdered for him.
  • When Brad had previously asked Deadlift where the books were, he was told they were at CGC and hadn't been shipped back yet.
  • You (Gsims718) then purchased these three books from Deadlift Collectibles.
  • A month later...Brad contacts you and provides proof that those three books you purchased from Deadlift Collectibles actually belong to him.
  • You are currently waiting for refunds for these three books to clear before returning them.

This all leads me to one observation and one question. 

1. If someone had three of my high value books for over a year just to get reholdered.....I would be up their arse every other day looking for updates.
  2. Once your refund clears....who are you going to return the books to?  Hopefully it's to Brad.

Your timeline is correct, only difference is my understanding is Brad is local to deadlift and has an in person relationship, books were not shipped to him for a reholder.  Once the refunds clear I am not shipping to Brad and I let him know this, I do not want to be party to anything between those two, especially if it becomes a legal matter as I understand more books may be missing.  I let Brad know that I need to ship them back to where they came from per my purchase and they need to reach a resolution.  I have no idea what actual transactions have transpired between the two and do not want to be involved any further.

On 10/6/2023 at 11:55 PM, ChiSoxFan said:

Thanks for the clarification, and my hopes for a speedy fix for you and Brad.  Also, thanks for making people aware of what's going on. :foryou:

The claims of a mistake being made seem to be dubious, IMO, but the only two people who know 100% what was said and agreed on would be the two other parties involved, though one can certainly draw conclusions.  Even as long as I've been here, and as many PL and HOS nominations I've seen come and go, I'm not 100% sure if one or the other can apply if all affected parties are made whole.  Being made whole and being satisfied with the transaction are two different things though, and there definitely is some value to be attached to how this has affected you, even if your refund comes through, but I'll defer to other senior boardies' takes on what that might entail.

If nothing else, this is how people end up on boardies' "personal lists" for certain.  

Agreed.  Don't know how a mistake like this could happen and certainly looks dishonest.

Would love to hear from Deadlift.

Picked up a nice looking mid-grade copy of Amazing Spidey #49 recently for what I thought was a sweetheart price. Turns out it's missing an ad page, which doesn't effect the story, but obviously makes it an incomplete book. No issue with the (non-boardie) seller at all, I'm satisfied with the customer service I received after contacting them about it, but now I am left with this very nice presenting copy of an incomplete comic that I won't be keeping for my own PC. How does one price a book like this? Obviously I'll be putting a sticker on the bag and listing the defect when/if I put it up for sale online, but curious how some of you seasoned sellers treat a book like this. 

PXL_20231120_233059844.jpg

Edited by rlextherobot

On 1/5/2024 at 7:27 AM, Ryan. said:

Each year, around this time, I become re-fascinated by the psychology of FOMO fervor. When Bronze Charlton run fillers have four immediate takes we've stepped through the looking-glass.

In all honesty, I must admit that I do understand a frenzy on high grade Silver and Bronze Charlton books, they are hard to find in high grade and still very cheap.

I am still waiting for almost 15 years for somebody to list high grade copies of Charlton's Cheyenne Kids. I will soon reach 15 years in the CGC Forum (:ohnoez:) and never seen any listed yet.

On 1/5/2024 at 4:27 AM, Ryan. said:

Each year, around this time, I become re-fascinated by the psychology of FOMO fervor. When Bronze Charlton run fillers have four immediate takes we've stepped through the looking-glass.

For life of me, I can't figure out the behavior around this event.

A few years ago I purchased a book that was one of the "dregs" left over after the feeding frenzy was done.  For the condition and price of what I received my overall experience was....o.k.  It wasn't in anyway a bad experience, it was fine.  And I would probably buy from them again...if it wasn't for the extreme competitive behavior of others in these threads. 

But I didn't feel like what I received was massively undergraded and/or underpriced either, certainly nothing that would make me feel the need to start slamming the "take it" button before hardly even seeing what I was claiming.

But again, not faulting the seller, if he can generate that kind of "enthusiasm" more power to him.  It's just a strange thing to watch sitting here on the sidelines.

Edited by Number 6