• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2023 at 6:23 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

Nothing says "I'm a tool" more than photographing your books for sale while balanced on your crotch.

More than saying “Normal rules apply” which is pretty much a dead giveaway that you’re being as vague as possible so as to have plenty of wiggle room in case something goes wrong?

More than ‘no returns but PM me so we can hug it out”?

More than selling thousands of dollars of books without a single reference? 

More than repeatedly opening sales threads and then closing them within an hour or two?

More than constantly having your sales threads pulled because you clearly still haven’t read the sales rules?

I just want to make sure of the proper order of priority on the Tool Seller list. 

Edited by Number 6

On 5/19/2023 at 8:23 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

Nothing says "I'm a tool" more than photographing your books for sale while balanced on your crotch.

Ok taking pictures of themselves on the toilet with them.. :sumo:

On 5/19/2023 at 11:22 PM, Number 6 said:

More than saying “Normal rules apply” which is pretty much a dead giveaway that you’re being as vague as possible so as to have plenty of wiggle room in case something goes wrong?

More than repeatedly opening sales threads and then closing them within an hour or two?

More than constantly having your sales threads pulled because you clearly still haven’t read the sales rules?

I just want to make sure of the proper order of priority on the Tool Seller list. 

You left out apparently trying to cheat other Board members. But yes, those carry a lot of weight. I suppose the crotch shots are more like icing on the cake.

• Administrator
On 5/19/2023 at 5:36 PM, Point Five said:

Rereading the IH #181/X-Men #1 scam, the scammer beginning the thread with "No House Of Shame or Probationary members or any others of ill repute" was really a *chef's-kiss* beautiful touch.

He earned this cool badge.

image.png

On 5/19/2023 at 4:36 PM, Point Five said:

Rereading the IH #181/X-Men #1 scam, the scammer beginning the thread with "No House Of Shame or Probationary members or any others of ill repute" was really a *chef's-kiss* beautiful touch.

Link please.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:22 PM, Number 6 said:

On 5/20/2023 at 8:08 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

You left out apparently trying to cheat other Board members. But yes, those carry a lot of weight. I suppose the crotch shots are more like icing on the cake.

@MR. Pontoon @Number 6 and everyone else who like the comments.

Why are you guys such haters / bullies ?  

I appreciate the fact that you are noticing my post, would be better if you purchased something though.  I'll try not to entertain to much of the hate, but you could have atleast tagged me if you had something to see.

I'm starting to understand how the board works and I can see it can be extremely cliquish, which is fine just good to know.

I have to take my kids to a lax tournament now, but please know I wish all of you guys/girls the bests and if secretly snickering in the corner about me makes you feel better then its cool.  

But again, if I'm on your mind so much please purchase something so I can purchase more books, list them here and give you more to talk about. 

On 5/21/2023 at 10:52 AM, BlackOut21 said:

I appreciate the fact that you are noticing my post, would be better if you purchased something though.  I'll try not to entertain to much of the hate, but you could have atleast tagged me if you had something to see.

I'm starting to understand how the board works and I can see it can be extremely cliquish, which is fine just good to know.

I have to take my kids to a lax tournament now, but please know I wish all of you guys/girls the bests and if secretly snickering in the corner about me makes you feel better then its cool.  

But again, if I'm on your mind so much please purchase something so I can purchase more books, list them here and give you more to talk about. 

You’re not being “hated” on or “bullied”  Give the victim terminology a rest. Nobody is stopping you from listing your stuff nor are they interfering with your ability to sell by krapping in your sales threads. 

You’re threads are being singled out because this marketplace is self-policing, that is, the community takes responsibility for watching out for each other and that things run smoothly. 

It has nothing to do with “cliques” or “picking on newbs”.   There are a posted set of clearly stated rules for selling in the Marketplace, as well as a discussion thread that goes into the reasoning behind the rules. If you insist on continuing to try and sell your wares here, as opposed to Instagram, Facebook or where ever you came from, then you need to slow down and take the time to actually READ the rules and then implement them in your sales thread. 

For example, one the things may want to look at is the fact that there is no such thing as a template of “normal rules”.  It’s the responsibility of the seller to come up his own set of clearly stated sales rules. 

I also suspect that another rule you need to pay attention to is that items offered here need to be exclusive to the Boards. If they’re offered for sale here you can’t be offering them at the same time on other venues.

That’s just a couple of examples, but there are plenty of other ways your sales threads would benefit by conforming to the Marketplace Rules. 

You seem to have no problem claiming books in other people’s sales threads. Why not stop and look at how those threads are put together and run as opposed to your near-dumpster fire threads. 

Myself and others would probably be willing to offer suggestions on how to improve your sales threads, but based on the discussion in the Probation Forum - and your post above is another sterling example - you’re more likely to continue to play the victim and insist on your wham-bam-take-the-money-run approach to selling stuff. 

I will NOT buy anything from you. As it stands, your sales threads have a bunch of red flags and come off like a train wreck waiting to happen and, no surprise, you’ve had one fender-bender already.  Personally, I’m not entirely convinced that you’re not trying to fleece someone. 

But I’m sure you’re just going to respond with more of your “hater” nonsense and how you’re too busy ‘hustling to make the phat stacks of scrilla to pay attention to the hate’ or whatever and then just continue to post the way you have been. 

But don’t be surprised if it get’s commented on here in the Sales discussion thread. 

The best way to make it stop is to make the effort to do better.

Edited by Number 6

On 5/21/2023 at 2:37 PM, Number 6 said:

You’re not being “hated” on or “bullied”  Give the victim terminology a rest. Nobody is stopping you from listing your stuff nor are they interfering with your ability to sell by krapping in your sales threads. 

You’re threads are being singled out because this marketplace is self-policing, that is, the community takes responsibility for watching out for each other and that things run smoothly. 

It has nothing to do with “cliques” or “picking on newbs”.   There are a posted set of clearly stated rules for selling in the Marketplace, as well as a discussion thread that goes into the reasoning behind the rules. If you insist on continuing to try and sell your wares here, as opposed to Instagram, Facebook or where ever you came from, then you need to slow down and take the time to actually READ the rules and then implement them in your sales thread. 

For example, one the things may want to look at is the fact that there is no such thing as a template of “normal rules”.  It’s the responsibility of the seller to come up his own set of clearly stated sales rules. 

I also suspect that another rule you need to pay attention to is that items offered here need to be exclusive to the Boards. If they’re offered for sale here you can’t be offering them at the same time on other venues.

That’s just a couple of examples, but there are plenty of other ways your sales threads would benefit by conforming to the Marketplace Rules. 

You seem to have no problem claiming books in other people’s sales threads. Why not stop and look at how those threads are put together and run as opposed to your near-dumpster fire threads. 

Myself and others would probably be willing to offer suggestions on how to improve your sales threads, but based on the discussion in the Probation Forum - and your post above is another sterling example - you’re more likely to continue to play the victim and insist on your wham-bam-take-the-money-run approach to selling stuff. 

I will NOT buy anything from you. As it stands, your sales threads have a bunch of red flags and come off like a train wreck waiting to happen and, no surprise, you’ve had one fender-bender already.  Personally, I’m not entirely convinced that you’re not trying to fleece someone. 

But I’m sure you’re just going to respond with more of your “hater” nonsense and how you’re too busy ‘hustling to make the phat stacks of scrilla to pay attention to the hate’ or whatever and then just continue to post the way you have been. 

But don’t be surprised if it get’s commented on here in the Sales discussion thread. 

The best way to make it stop is to make the effort to do better.

Your post feels a lot like bullying to me. Talking behind my back, calling me names, yea it feels like bullying. Second, I’m not playing victim. I’m not playing anything. That’s just how I feel. I’m not mad at you, you have the right to say exactly how you feel under that whole ‘self-policing’ idea. 

I checked out your page, you’ve been on here since 2012. You’re an ‘OG’ of the boards. You should be on here helping people. Promoting positivity. Not coming on here calling people tools or throwing accusations based on assumptions. “Wham bam take your money”? Really?.

I’ll take some of your comments as constructive criticism and try to utilize them. But fall back a bit…I’m not your enemy, I’m on your team. 

On 5/21/2023 at 1:52 PM, BlackOut21 said:

Seriously?

You made a name for yourself in this thread:

I think I'm in agreement with everything Number 6 just said. Besides the self-policing, you may find that folks here have *long* memories. And in terms of cliques, in all my years here I don't believe I've ever exchanged as much as a PM with Number 6. In fact, sometimes he may even post things I disagree with!

I don't have much more to say. I have better things to do with my time than engage in silly internet squabbles.

Real quick, and then I’m dropping out as I’m not going to waste anymore time with this:

On 5/21/2023 at 12:31 PM, BlackOut21 said:

Your post feels a lot like bullying to me. Talking behind my back, calling me names, yea it feels like bullying.

My posts were made in a PUBLIC forum for anyone -including you - to see.  If I were “talking behind your back” this conversation would have been happening in PMs.  And no, not tagging you doesn’t qualify as “behind your back”. It just means that I’m not actively seeking engagement with you. 

Second, I’m not playing victim. I’m not playing anything. That’s just how I feel.

If you continue to claim that THIS is bullying then you ARE playing the victim. The sooner you drop that tactic the better this will go.

I’m not mad at you, you have the right to say exactly how you feel under that whole ‘self-policing’ idea. 

I have the right?  Except when I critique your sales threads?  Then that’s “bullying”?  If I have the right why are you throwing a fit about DP and I said?

I checked out your page, you’ve been on here since 2012. You’re an ‘OG’ of the boards. You should be on here helping people. Promoting positivity.

I’m absolutely willing to help members who genuinely want and are seeking help.  As of yet, I haven’t seen any indication that you’re actively seeking my or anyone else’s help. 

And just a hint: THIS whole thing is not how you ask for help.  

And I’m hardly OG. There’s a bunch of people here that still consider me a newb. Heck, I can’t even figure out how to break up a quote properly. 

Not coming on here calling people tools or throwing accusations based on assumptions. “Wham bam take your money”? Really?.

Lol, yeah REALLY, because, IMHO that’s how your sales threads come off.  You can jump on your victim soapbox and accuse me of being a big ol’ meanie…or stop and ask yourself why that is.  Because clearly I’m not the only one who sees a potential problem. 

I’ll take some of your comments as constructive criticism and try to utilize them. But fall back a bit…I’m not your enemy, I’m on your team. 

I don’t know you. This has nothing to do with “enemies” or “friends”. Again, this is about the community watching out for itself.  And it’s not going to stop doing that because you claim you got your feelings hurt. 

Hey all, looking for some advice on selling, both in general and here on the boards! 

I recently purchased a largeish collection including some decent Silver Age books, some nice bronze and copper stuff, and a couple hundred 90s-2000s era books, plus a metric ton of omnibuses, masterworks and other hardcover volumes, plus a couple statues. My hope is to cherry pick the stuff I want for my own collection and then make the rest pay for the whole purchase over time. 

My question to the experienced sellers here is this: how do you go about assessing what to keep, what to sell here and what to blow out elsewhere for pennies on the dollar just to not have to store it? I have a decent idea of what is desirable, and how to assess current trends in pricing, but also have never had this much stuff to work through. I'm wary of keeping too much for myself, since I do want to make my money back over time. 

Any and all advice is appreciated! 

On 6/2/2023 at 2:21 AM, jimjum12 said:

It's easy to want something that is right in front of your face, to convince yourself to keep it. My advice ? Sell it ALL, or at least, make it available. If it's something you really like, price it aggressively and see what happens. After you're finished, you can spend your profit on what you REALLY want, rather than the "kid in a candy store" dynamic. You'll likely end up with either better books or more cash flow that way. 2c GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... on the other hand, I have a very good friend who has been a full time convention dealer since 1972, who once told me if you want a decent retirement, keep a few books from EVERY collection for your "last hurrah". 

Great advice, thanks!