• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I haven't sold to anyone on the lists but that's a personal choice. Whenever I sell I post that I reserve the right to sell my wares to anyone. For example, no matter what the issue was with Brent a few months ago with some boardies, I would not hesitate to do any transaction with him, even if he was on the probation list. There are others on and off the list that I will not sell to simply because of the risk that it poses due to their hostory.

The probation list and HOS is a guide for buyers and sellers but it doesn't restrict any transactions from happening. I don't think a boardie should be vilified if he wants to take a risk and sell to a proby - it's his/her choice and should be respected but at the same time they waive their rights to complain about a bad transaction.

I haven't sold to anyone on the lists but that's a personal choice. Whenever I sell I post that I reserve the right to sell my wares to anyone. For example, no matter what the issue was with Brent a few months ago with some boardies, I would not hesitate to do any transaction with him, even if he was on the probation list. There are others on and off the list that I will not sell to simply because of the risk that it poses due to their hostory.

The probation list and HOS is a guide for buyers and sellers but it doesn't restrict any transactions from happening. I don't think a boardie should be vilified if he wants to take a risk and sell to a proby - it's his/her choice and should be respected but at the same time they waive their rights to complain about a bad transaction.

I kinda do. They're ruining the efficacy of the PL, which hurts us all and makes this a less safe place to do business.

I kinda do. They're ruining the efficacy of the PL, which hurts us all and makes this a less safe place to do business.

I disagree. It does nothing to the efficacy of the PL. Because there are a pantsload of people doing transactions with PL people anyway, but they don't have the balls to come out and say it right up front. They just do it via PM or whatever.

I don't sell to anyone on the PL (if I catch it) or anyone that I think is a j-hole. But I am protective of my right to make that choice myself.

I disagree. It does nothing to the efficacy of the PL. Because there are a pantsload of people doing transactions with PL people anyway, but they don't have the balls to come out and say it right up front. They just do it via PM or whatever.

I don't sell to anyone on the PL (if I catch it) or anyone that I think is a j-hole. But I am protective of my right to make that choice myself.

I ain't stepping on no one's rights man!! :ohnoez:

But I disagree with your disagreement. Secret PM deals with PLers do not erode efficacy of the PL as a deterrent as much as those done in bright daylight.

I also disagree with the next guy to post on the subject, but I agree with post after that.

But I disagree with your disagreement. Secret PM deals with PLers do not erode efficacy of the PL as a deterrent as much as those done in bright daylight.

I also disagree with the next guy to post on the subject, but I agree with post after that.

Even though you are wrong, I respect your opinion.

Even though you are wrong, I respect your opinion.

My opinions are strongest when wrong.

One thing I think everyone should keep in mind...it's not easy to get on the probation list.As a matter of fact, someone really has to work at it.

So even if a popular person winds up there...

there is a reason.

I believe in mitigating circumstances, lots of chances...but some people are just sweet talkers and basically irresponsible.

One thing I think everyone should keep in mind...it's not easy to get on the probation list.As a matter of fact, someone really has to work at it.

So even if a popular person winds up there...

there is a reason.

I believe in mitigating circumstances, lots of chances...but some people are just sweet talkers and basically irresponsible.

When Spiderman-On-Tilt sold to BuckOne because he was not aware of the probation list after selling on here for years, he learned a lesson why the PL/HOS is in place.

I would never sell to either as then you are still making it easy for them to conduct transactions without ever making their previous transactions right. And that's what it comes down to in cutting them off as a forum until these situations are addressed.

Those that do sell to them - well - you know where their forum commitment rests.

bag_of_money.png

Exactly. The list is there as a guide and a warning to others but is not prohibitive in any way. Its usefulness is in the hands of the user and it is quite a useful tool.

The problem with this post is that I now have to incorporate pantsload into a future post - it must be perpetuated and not left to die into lonesome oblivion.

there are a pantsload of people doing transactions with PL people anyway, but they don't have the balls to come out and say it right up front. They just do it via PM or whatever.
Worth repeating.

I'm a little late to the party on the topic - but I was told via PM when I first started selling (and I had made a joke about PL and HOSers were people, too) and a Boardie told me that the downside to selling to a Lister is that they are essentially screwing over someone else from another deal with the money they are buying your book with.

I know that's not always the case, but it was enough to make me rethink it and come to the conclusion that it's not fair to sell to PL or HOSers because they have gone back on a deal with someone else, and in order for them to make more purchases - they should resolve it first.

Honestly, I don't cross-check my buyers to the PL and I wouldn't know if someone on the list bought stuff from my threads or not. (shrug)

I'm a little late to the party on the topic - but I was told via PM when I first started selling (and I had made a joke about PL and HOSers were people, too) and a Boardie told me that the downside to selling to a Lister is that they are essentially screwing over someone else from another deal with the money they are buying your book with.

I know that's not always the case, but it was enough to make me rethink it and come to the conclusion that it's not fair to sell to PL or HOSers because they have gone back on a deal with someone else, and in order for them to make more purchases - they should resolve it first.

Honestly, I don't cross-check my buyers to the PL and I wouldn't know if someone on the list bought stuff from my threads or not. (shrug)

The intent of the PL/HOS is exactly as you described. Not a hard stop, someone cannot buy, but a community decision with the hope of helping someone realize they need to resolve a transaction.

Work around that, and you could be leaving the other party hanging out in the wind while the offending party continues on their merry way.

If I didn't deal with the j-holes, I'd never sell anything. :facepalm:

Exactly. The list is there as a guide and a warning to others but is not prohibitive in any way. Its usefulness is in the hands of the user and it is quite a useful tool.

The problem with this post is that I now have to incorporate pantsload into a future post - it must be perpetuated and not left to die into lonesome oblivion.

Not just that -- that is, not just a warning to other sellers/buyers that they could get screwed. The lists are also meant as a way to get the offending party to make good on his screwing of an earlier party.

If A screws B and then C says "I realize A is on the PL, but no worries because I made sure I got full payment before I sent him the book." then C isn't helping B to get A to make B whole.