• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Is Suspense 3 a one-staple book?

It is but if you buy it can always add more.

32 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

It is but if you buy it can always add more.

...and for stability a little magic tape down the spine and at the four corners.... then she'll be able to handle many good readings :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

8 hours ago, Pickie said:
On 3/10/2017 at 8:26 AM, Robot Man said:

It was probably one of the earliest books Chuck sold. I asked him once about it and he remembers selling it very early on before he made up the original list so I was sure it existed.

Wonder what else Mr. Rozanski remembered. 

Did that aficionado with "eagle eyes" only pick up one book (before the list was made up)? 

Of course his possible further purchases may have re-entered the market already if one would assume the S3 had been "the last one to part with".

Either way :applause::applause::applause:

I assume the most likely scenario is that Burrell pulled the Suspense 3 out of the collection as part of his payment for loaning Chuck the $2K in order to purchase the entire Mile High collection from the Church family.  :gossip:

After all, I believe he was entitled to the first $10K worth of books to be pulled at his discretion based upon the top of guide price at the time.  Looks like he wasn't into the big super hero books back then since that would have chewed through his $10K pretty quickly.  Took the Planet run with the beautiful covers which gobbled up just over $2K of the total.  Since there was no Gerber Photo-Journal at the time and not much info on GA books, he probably stumbled across the Suspense 3 cover by accident, liked the cover,  and pulled it out of the run since there was nothing special about the book in the guide at the time.  Highly doubt he went searching specifically for this book, especially since it was simply lumped in with the Suspense 3 - 10 run at the time, at only $6 a pop and probably figured this wouldn't chew up too much of his $10K allotment.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

5 hours ago, rob_react said:
On 3/9/2017 at 2:59 PM, lou_fine said:

Any idea where this particular copy has been residing for the past few decades, especially since there have been long standing questions as to whether a Church copy of this book even existed in the first place?  hm

I'm writing this up right now. There's no copy in the catalog multiple people have stated categorically that there's no Church copy. This book didn't pick up steam until the Gerber Guide came up so it wouldn't have been kept out of the catalog as a "key." This is pretty crazy. 

Looks like even long-time people in the know was not even sure if this book existed or not.  When Magik's Photo-Journal copy finally surfaced for grading a few years ago, there were some initial thinking that it might possibly be the long lost Church copy.  After taking a closer look at the book, it looks like they made the right call in the end as it was clearly not the Church copy.  (thumbsu

Suspense 3 was definitely NOT kept out of the Mile High catalogue as it was an absolutely nothing book at the time of the collection's discovery.  For comparison purposes, since Jon Berk's Collection is now also out there, even though Fantastic 3 was lumped in as a group with issues 3 - 5 at $45 each in the price guide , this was still miles ahead of the Suspense 3 which was buried within the issues 3 - 10 grouping at only a measly $6 a shot.  :whatthe:

Being a new and younger collector at that time, key books to go after were hotties like Spidey 121, 122, the Neal Adams big Avengers 93 52 pager at $3 a pop in the guide, or even something like Conan 1 at a huge $30.  doh!  

Certainly interesting to see how collecting trends change over the decades, as a dead and buried book like Suspense 3 can rise out from nowhere to shoot up and become one of the most sought after books in the hobby.  hm  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I assume the most likely scenario is that Burrell pulled the Suspense 3 out of the collection as part of his payment for loaning Chuck the $2K in order to purchase the entire Mile High collection from the Church family.  :gossip:

After all, I believe he was entitled to the first $10K worth of books to be pulled at his discretion based upon the top of guide price at the time.  Looks like he wasn't into the big super hero books back then since that would have chewed through his $10K pretty quickly.  Took the Planet run with the beautiful covers which gobbled up just over $2K of the total.  Since there was no Gerber Photo-Journal at the time and not much info on GA books, he probably stumbled across the Suspense 3 cover by accident, liked the cover,  and pulled it out of the run since there was nothing special about the book in the guide at the time.  Highly doubt he went searching specifically for this book, especially since it was simply lumped in with the Suspense 3 - 10 run at the time, at only $6 a pop and probably figured this wouldn't chew up too much of his $10K allotment.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

This scenario sounds good ,but didn't Burrell store his books in a attic. I remember reading that somewhere. He liked the Fiction House Books. Some of the pages on books were burnt ,tanning. Wouldn't  the Suspense have damage also?? Again I don't know if this story is true or not. It's something I read or heard. It's all speculation until someone knows.

1 hour ago, PUNYHUMAN said:

This scenario sounds good ,but didn't Burrell store his books in a attic. I remember reading that somewhere. He liked the Fiction House Books. Some of the pages on books were burnt ,tanning. Wouldn't  the Suspense have damage also?? Again I don't know if this story is true or not. It's something I read or heard. It's all speculation until someone knows.

well, take another look?  My first thought when I saw it was that it looked a little crispy.   Nothing to kick out of bed, but a little toasty.    You can see it in the logo, and there is even a noticeable color change change between the toastiness at the left edge of the logo, and the middle and right of the logo.

ccabd54e-03fe-4a0f-b0f7-36576b141829_zps

The logo on the crippen copy seems much whiter.

lf?set=path%5B9%2F8%2F3%2F983877%5D%2Csi

Edited by Bronty

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

well, take another look?  My first thought when I saw it was that it looked a little crispy.   Nothing to kick out of bed, but a little toasty.

ccabd54e-03fe-4a0f-b0f7-36576b141829_zps

It looks like there is some tanning on the top edge of the cover especially near the corners anyone else seeing it.

that's what I'm saying, yeah.   The colors aren't strong and there is some slight tanning.   Still a great book don't get me wrong.

Edited by Bronty

Burrel did not get the Suspense 3. I definitely would have remembered that one.

He also did not store his books in an attic. He had a garage apartment that was fully air-conditioned. Everything was perfectly fine out there until he got out of the hobby. Then the books that remained in his possession were stored out there and not climate controlled. But by that time he had sold most of the important stuff.

43 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

It's because Chuck never got that one himself as part of the Mile High Collection.  :gossip:

Edgar's wife was at least smart enough to pull that one out from the 20,000 pieces of junk that her senseless husband had amassed and was probably ecstatic that she could finally find some young foolish know nothing sucker willing to pay full brand spanking new cover prices to clean and haul that pile of used and smelly mess of books away from her house.  lol  doh!  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

19 hours ago, nearmint said:

That's a very 9.0ish looking 9.2. 

I spent yesterday in NYC checking out some of Burk's books as well other Church books that have been graded through the years (pre Borock leaving, through Haspel and to the present) in the Metro booth (who else would have a bunch of Church books on hand at any given time).

The grading on the Suspense #3 is typical of how Mile High books are graded. Every book I looked at ranging in grade from 9.0 - 9.6 made this 9.2 look like it would fall right into place.

And this book is MUCH nicer than the VF/NM copy that sold a few years ago.

Is it a CGC 9.2? I guess we won't know unless it gets subbed. Is it the nicest copy of this book on the planet. Very possible.

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

He also did not store his books in an attic. He had a garage apartment that was fully air-conditioned. Everything was perfectly fine out there until he got out of the hobby. Then the books that remained in his possession were stored out there and not climate controlled. But by that time he had sold most of the important stuff.

Richard;

Since you was right there in the middle of the action when everything was unfolding, can you share some of your memorable insights with us?  :wishluck:

Besides the Planet run, what were some of the other books that Burrell had pulled out for himself as part of his payment from Chuck?  Were they mostly runs or did he go through and pulled out some of the individual highlight cover books from within some of the runs?

Since you don't believe Burrell was the one who had pulled out the Suspense 3 from the collection, do you believe it went to Jim Payne or one of the other local Denver area dealers who most likely had very early access to the collection after Chuck brought them back home?  Especially interesting that somebody would have prior knowledge about this now classic cover since there was no Photo-Journal at the time, and being only a $6 non-descript book, would most probably have not yet been pictured in the Overstreet guide to that point in time.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Richard;

Since you was right there in the middle of the action when everything was unfolding, can you share some of your memorable insights with us?  :wishluck:

Besides the Planet run, what were some of the other books that Burrell had pulled out for himself as part of his payment from Chuck?  Were they mostly runs or did he go through and pulled out some of the individual highlight cover books from within some of the runs?

Since you don't believe Burrell was the one who had pulled out the Suspense 3 from the collection, do you believe it went to Jim Payne or one of the other local Denver area dealers who most likely had very early access to the collection after Chuck brought them back home?  Especially interesting that somebody would have prior knowledge about this now classic cover since there was no Photo-Journal at the time, and being only a $6 non-descript book, would most probably have not yet been pictured in the Overstreet guide to that point in time.  hm

Mostly runs. The books I remember - all of the Fiction House, all of the ECs including the early pre trend, many of the Fox (Mystery Men and Wonderworld for sure), many Fawcetts including Whiz 3-10, Captain Marvel Jr. 1, Special Edition 1 and the Mr. Mind serial in Capt. Marvel, some of the early Detectives (#33, 39 and 40 for sure).

34 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Mostly runs. The books I remember - all of the Fiction House, all of the ECs including the early pre trend, many of the Fox (Mystery Men and Wonderworld for sure), many Fawcetts including Whiz 3-10, Captain Marvel Jr. 1, Special Edition 1 and the Mr. Mind serial in Capt. Marvel, some of the early Detectives (#33, 39 and 40 for sure).

I seem to remember seeing that copy of Captain Marvel Junior in some tall Texan's collection back when he lived in Albuquerque.  It was a sight to behold.

4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Wonder where those Pre Trend ECs are today...