• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Both of these points you have indicated above are absolutely bang on.  (thumbsu

I think its a special cover.    I do think it took fishler hoarding it, same as it took Gerber exposure on other books, for it to flourish, but its a really, really exceptional cover IMHO.

I apologize to anyone reading this thread if I derailed it to far from its purpose.

As another poster already commented I can't wait to see both books sales price at auction. 

I wonder if anyone out there is willing to try for both?

7 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
8 hours ago, N e r V said:

When comics start hitting six figures they lose out to more lucrative investments like stocks, real estate, or vintage autos

How so?

Now you're being obtuse.  Ever seen a comic beat a vintage auto in a race? :taptaptap:

14 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I have seen far more suspense 3 available in the market over the past 10 years then fantastic 3 

That's only because you are supposed to be 3 steps in front of Fishler, as opposed to being 3 steps behind him.  :baiting:  lol

25 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

The last great copy of Fantastic 3 I remember coming to market is the copy Mr Parker picked up.  :luhv:

I sold 2 copies of fantastic 3 at sdcc 2010 or 2011 ? And I believe I had emailed Fishler first and he passed on both

10 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

My 2 cents:  I've always felt that Fantastic 3 was one of many great Lou Fine Fox covers.  It never struck me as standing head and shoulders above the rest.  My impression has been that Fishler's hoarding created a mystique that significantly enhanced collectors' perceptions and the book's reputation. 

I believe this too.  If I were the collector hoarding them, it would not have nearly the impact.  The top collectors, many on this site, can affect the demand for books.

14 hours ago, Moondog said:

I believe this too.  If I were the collector hoarding them, it would not have nearly the impact.  The top collectors, many on this site, can affect the demand for books.

as to the extraneous factor affecting the fantastic 3's allure, I'd bet, tho' we could never prove it, that ernie's use of the suspense represents a march larger factor in the latter's prestige than does fishler's hoarding of the former.  also, similar to the post of rarehighgrade, in my view the suspense does not "stand head and shoulders" above the canon of schomburg's covers; i certainly prefer others, tho' i do recognize how striking the s3 is.

Edited by Straw-Man

31 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

as to the extraneous factor affecting the fantastic 3's allure, I'd bet, tho' we could never prove it, that ernie's use of the suspense represents a march larger factor in the latter's prestige than does fishler's hoarding of the former.  also, similar to the post of rarehighgrade, in my view the suspense does not "stand head and shoulders" above the canon of schomburg's covers; i certainly prefer others, tho' i do recognize how striking the s3 is.

This, my friends, is a classic "straw-man" argument.

This is an off the wall question but how many copies of a book would you need to "hoard" to actually increase its price in the market by a fair amount?

I know it's going to vary with a books already existing scarcity so how many copies for a book like Suspense or Fantastic #3?

A pre code book like Mister Mystery #5?

Superman #14?

Venus #19?

I was thinking about this with the mentioned Fantastic #3 "hoarding" and the Blue Bolt #105 "hoarder" I know. Are either really impacting prices that much?

Edited by N e r V

imo, not a lot, tho' obviously some of our fellow boardies disagree.  steve's hoarding is imagined to have a greater impact, because he is prominent.  but, frankly, our own g.a.tor is petty darned prominent, and his long box of copies of whiz 22 hasn't seemed to do much for the book.

52 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

imo, not a lot, tho' obviously some of our fellow boardies disagree.  steve's hoarding is imagined to have a greater impact, because he is prominent.  but, frankly, our own g.a.tor is petty darned prominent, and his long box of copies of whiz 22 hasn't seemed to do much for the book.

That's only because he chose poorly.

It's Whiz comics #50 that needs to be hoarded.

Classic captain in a barrel with stolen clothes, creepy guy and confused rabbit cover.