• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, tth2 said:

Fantastic 3 is notoriously difficult to find in anything above low grade because of its spine issues.  Suspense 3 can be found in low grade, mid grade and VF.  This Suspense 3 is one increment higher than Magik's copy.  The Church Fantastic 3 is so far ahead of any other copy known that it is truly one of a kind.  It's either go big in this auction or accept that a 5.0 or 5.5 is the best copy one will probably ever own of this book.

+1

Exactly my thoughts also and the reason why I think the Church Fantastic 3 will have a good shot at finishing ahead of the Church Suspense 3 by the time it's all said and done.  (thumbsu

Can't wait for the bidding action to start in May.  :taptaptap:

If Stephen Fishler ends up with the Fantastic #3 I'd be curious what the next closest bid is. 

I think the underbidders bids might be as interesting as the winning one.

How much frenzy exists to own this book now?

Edited by N e r V

2 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Fantastic 3 is not "common," but it is likely no more uncommon than the surrounding issues.  It's just that nobody has made a point of trying to corner the market on the surrounding issues.

Genuine question. Can somebody explain to me the attraction of this book? I think the cover is great but there are better ones out there IMO. Is it the Lou Fine factor? Are the stories sensational? I'm not being facetious, I mean what is it? o.O

3 hours ago, N e r V said:

If Stephen Fishler ends up with the Fantastic #3 I'd be curious what the next closest bid is. 

Wouldn't it be whatever is the next increment below?

37 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Wouldn't it be whatever is the next increment below?

Don't know what comic connect increments are at the multiple 100k range. 1k? 5k? 10k? 25k?

At classic auto auctions I've attended  there can be some big gaps between winner and runner ups.

Also my interest was in how many serious bidders on that book.

Just two serious bidders can run up a auction to record levels which can lead to a misleading market value. The more serious bidders it has usually reflects a stronger long term market value.

I want to see how many collectors are going to throw their money at both books in earnst.

4 hours ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Genuine question. Can somebody explain to me the attraction of this book? I think the cover is great but there are better ones out there IMO. Is it the Lou Fine factor? Are the stories sensational? I'm not being facetious, I mean what is it? o.O

The art for one and Lou Fine for another screams Goldenage and pretty rare in that kind of shape.I can give you many more if you would like :banana:

58 minutes ago, comicjack said:

The art for one and Lou Fine for another screams Goldenage and pretty rare in that kind of shape.I can give you many more if you would like :banana:

Because....

Giant Robots :cloud9:

Because.....

City in ruins......

Because.....

eye popping manic detail.....

Because....

Every colour in the rainbow :cloud9:

....GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

9 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

This is exactly my impression of the illusion of scarcity in the marketplace.  So many more books sell outside of the major auction houses than through them including highly desirable books like Punch 12 or Suspense 3.  Even with the number of books sold through Heritage (many of which are the same book relisted), if you were to only look at their archive, you would have a very narrow perspective of actual availability.  But it's easy to believe otherwise when there are so few sources of information about the comic market that are accessible on the internet (strange to say, I know, but true).  

I feel like the Heritage archive is a worthwhile source for determining relative scarcity...not so much absolute scarcity. There are tons of desirable books buried in collections, but over Heritage's lifespan it's reasonable to conclude that have seen a roughly equal percentage of remaining copies of most issues. That might be 1% or 5% or 10%, but in any case it helps me determine which books are harder to find than others. It's not gospel, but it's a pretty good data point. 

2 hours ago, comicjack said:

If you are referring to the Cover art, I agree it is a great cover, but clearly it has its faults, particularly on the human figure. The interior art is extremely basic stuff and not really worthy of mention. What else you got?

11 minutes ago, october said:

I feel like the Heritage archive is a worthwhile source for determining relative scarcity...not so much absolute scarcity. There are tons of desirable books buried in collections, but over Heritage's lifespan it's reasonable to conclude that have seen a roughly equal percentage of remaining copies of most issues. That might be 1% or 5% or 10%, but in any case it helps me determine which books are harder to find than others. It's not gospel, but it's a pretty good data point. 

The Heritage market is a Significant Aspect.... especially if one still has interest in raw books. GOD BLESS...

2 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

If you are referring to the Cover art, I agree it is a great cover, but clearly it has its faults, particularly on the human figure. The interior art is extremely basic stuff and not really worthy of mention. What else you got?

Jimbo covered most of it,your head is in Schomburg war covers which are amazing but the detail on FC3 shows Fine was way before his time in clean lines. 

3 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

It's art, G.G....... no one knows it, but they know what they like..... and a LOT of people like that one. I, for example, really dig Dali'.....but there are those who can't stand him.... go figure (shrug) GOD BLESS....

2 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Jimbo covered most of it,your head is in Schomburg war covers which are amazing but the detail on FC3 shows Fine was way before his time in clean lines. 

Ok. I'm not dissing the book and I have to admit it is growing on me the more I see it. I will be honest and tell you that I had never paid this book any attention and had seldom seen it in all my many years of comic book involvement before this thread. This book has earned a place in the GRR and I will post the complete book there very soon. It is all about the cover though, and personally I place great stock in interiors as well, that's probably why I can't quite grasp all the hubbub.

15 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Wait a minute, comic books have interiors?

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Wait a minute, comic books have interiors?

For anyone interested, I've finished posting the complete book over in the GRR. (thumbsu

@jimjum12  @comicjack  @batman_fan

There's no doubt it's a cool cover for many.

Art is always a subjective thing though with no rights or wrongs to it so like anything else it's worth what you're willing to pay for it.

It might get stones thrown at me but I'm old school I still would rather have Hit comics #5 in my collection first. When comics start hitting six figures they lose out to more lucrative investments like stocks, real estate, or vintage autos. 

1 minute ago, N e r V said:

When comics start hitting six figures they lose out to more lucrative investments like stocks, real estate, or vintage autos. 

How so?