• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, october said:

I feel like the Heritage archive is a worthwhile source for determining relative scarcity...not so much absolute scarcity. There are tons of desirable books buried in collections, but over Heritage's lifespan it's reasonable to conclude that have seen a roughly equal percentage of remaining copies of most issues. That might be 1% or 5% or 10%, but in any case it helps me determine which books are harder to find than others. It's not gospel, but it's a pretty good data point. 

(thumbsu 400,000 sales is a pretty good sampling size. I know it's the CGC forum way to discount something that's merely good or useful because it's not the platonic ideal, but the Heritage archive is super useful. 

2 hours ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Ok. I'm not dissing the book and I have to admit it is growing on me the more I see it. I will be honest and tell you that I had never paid this book any attention and had seldom seen it in all my many years of comic book involvement before this thread. This book has earned a place in the GRR and I will post the complete book there very soon. It is all about the cover though, and personally I place great stock in interiors as well, that's probably why I can't quite grasp all the hubbub.

My 2 cents:  I've always felt that Fantastic 3 was one of many great Lou Fine Fox covers.  It never struck me as standing head and shoulders above the rest.  My impression has been that Fishler's hoarding created a mystique that significantly enhanced collectors' perceptions and the book's reputation. 

Mr. Bedrock, For someone like yourself or Gator or Metro (which would no doubt promote the hell out of any big sales he has) which are actually in the comic book business the investment aspect is a bit more secure. You guys follow not only the market better (I hope) but should have a lot better feel on what to buy and when with actually being involved with the sales. Unless a collector is doing both he is at somewhat of a disadvantage with market conditions. I noticed the "ask Gator" thread gets a lot of mileage here with some of those types of questions. 

So why other investments if I have a choice? 

I live in the San Diego area. I bought a condo in 1999 for $165,000.00. I lived in it and rented in out a bit the last 5 years I owned it until I sold it in 2014 for over $600,000.00. Aside from the long term profit I factor in the tax breaks I got, money saved by living in it (no rent),  money made by renting it out and the quality of life from living near the beach (my ideal at least). Right now I'm back in a house which will rise and fall over time but will continue its march forward since it's near the ocean as a investment.

With stocks if the novice spends a little time with research you can compete. I purchased I believe around $1000.00 of Qualcomm stock in 1993. After many splits I had over a million dollars in it by 2000ish which I divided and gave to a couple of my younger sisters as a gift. I set up a portfolio for one of my cousins for $15,000.00 and had it up to $93,000.00 in 2 years before turning it over to them.

Classic cars although an interest for me is mostly with other family members. One is a Ferrari collector and they own a 1963 GTO which they paid something like 3 million dollars for it in the 1990's. The last one sold was at 55 million. My cousin purchased a Toyota GT 2000 in that same time frame for $35,000.00. It has a value of over one million dollars now. The advantage with cars is you can actually drive them. They flip muscle cars, etc. to acquire better vintage stuff and they always have a nice car to drive in. This market has its down periods too but if you use those to buy it can be a nice way to make a living.

I'm not old yet but I am thinking of what kind of retirement I want to see. My cash income is modest at best right now because I put most of it into retirement investments for the future. My comic collection probably does have a high value as a whole but I kind of set the bar at around 5k for a single book with any purchases. Im not buying comics as a investment I'm buying them because I like them. 

If I was going to pursue them as a investment again I would go seriously back into the business as a dealer.

2 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Mr. Bedrock, For someone like yourself or Gator or Metro (which would no doubt promote the hell out of any big sales he has) which are actually in the comic book business the investment aspect is a bit more secure. You guys follow not only the market better (I hope) but should have a lot better feel on what to buy and when with actually being involved with the sales. Unless a collector is doing both he is at somewhat of a disadvantage with market conditions. I noticed the "ask Gator" thread gets a lot of mileage here with some of those types of questions. 

I live in the San Diego area. I bought a condo in 1999 for $165,000.00. I lived in it and rented in out a bit the last 5 years I owned it until I sold it in 2014 for over $600,000.00. Aside from the long term profit I factor in the tax breaks I got, money saved by living in it (no rent),  money made by renting it out and the quality of life from living near the beach (my ideal at least). Right now I'm back in a house which will rise and fall over time but will continue its march forward since it's near the ocean as a investment.

With stocks if the novice spends a little time with research you can compete. I purchased I believe around $1000.00 of Qualcomm stock in 1993. After many splits I had over a million dollars in it by 2000ish which I divided and gave to a couple of my younger sisters as a gift. I set up a portfolio for one of my cousins for $15,000.00 and had it up to $93,000.00 in 2 years before turning it over to them.

Classic cars although an interest for me is mostly with other family members. One is a Ferrari collector and they own a 1963 GTO which they paid something like 3 million dollars for it in the 1990's. The last one sold was at 55 million. My cousin purchased a Toyota GT 2000 in that same time frame for $35,000.00. It has a value of over one million dollars now. The advantage with cars is you can actually drive them. They flip muscle cars, etc. to acquire better vintage stuff and they always have a nice car to drive in. This market has its down periods too but if you use those to buy it can be a nice way to make a living.

I'm not old yet but I am thinking of what kind of retirement I want to see. My cash income is modest at best right now because I put most of it into retirement investments for the future. My comic collection probably does have a high value as a whole but I kind of set the bar at around 5k for a single book with any purchases. Im not buying comics as a investment I'm buying them because I like them. 

If I was going to pursue them as a investment again I would go seriously back into the business as a dealer.

Couldn't someone who doesn't know the San Diego real estate market, the stock market or the vintage auto market just as easily make a bad investment? Couldn't someone make a better investment in the comic market if given good advice? There are certainly specific comic books which have appreciated at a far higher rate than any of the specific investments you mention.

14 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

There are certainly specific comic books which have appreciated at a far higher rate than any of the specific investments you mention.

His Qualcomm stock appreciation example was pretty sweet. hm

Yes sir. Those are highlights I listed. Don't think for a minute I haven't made bad choices too. The real estate market here is harder to lose on if you make the right choice to begin with. Yeah it'll go up and down but you're never going to lose unless you must sell during the wrong time. Plus all the other advantages I've listed.

Like I said it's easier to figure out a good stock pick or solid home buy than what comic has a good upside. Smaller learning curve. Also when I sell it someone (auction house) is going to get a good cut of it in profits and maybe they don't market it as good as they could. Capital gains on a comic doesn't have the tax shelters real estate has either.

Again with a storefront, a name in the business, and better knowledge of your market you do have the advantage as a investor over me.

I'd have to either return as a dealer to get a pulse back on the market or hire you as my comic advisor. lol

Bedrocks top comic picks in the market today? You could be on CNN Money.

11 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I once invested £1 in the British lottery back when tickets were £1. I won £10. I was ecstatic. Seriously though I am in awe of these heavy hitters who drop more on collectibles than I have on nearly 60 years of living. :flipbait:

Edited by Grantley Goddard

41 minutes ago, N e r V said:

You must have invested more than $1000 in Qualcomm to end up with $1,000,000 in 2000

6 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

My parents had friends that were early Microsoft investors/employees. Not sure what their income was when they worked but it wasn't phenomenal. They retired in 1998 in their early 30's with over 30 million in stock options. 

For some it really is being in the right place/time.

I had a friend who worked at Qualcomm that suggested the purchase. I think it was $6.00 a share back then. I was nervous about putting that much into a no name company but they talked me into it.

He retired young too and travels mostly. 

I'm still working.:facepalm:

29 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Couldn't someone who doesn't know the San Diego real estate market, the stock market or the vintage auto market just as easily make a bad investment? Couldn't someone make a better investment in the comic market if given good advice? There are certainly specific comic books which have appreciated at a far higher rate than any of the specific investments you mention.

One point (I can't take credit for) that's been said is that you can't leverage comic investments.      Most people don't have the cash.   So real estate is nice in that the bank will lend you the money to make an enormous bet which you couldn't otherwise finance. 

For somebody with a million sitting around what you say is true.    For somebody with 50 grand they are better off using that as a downpayment so they can invest 500k, even if it was a lower rate of return (as long as still positive)

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

You must have invested more than $1000 in Qualcomm to end up with $1,000,000 in 2000

I'd have to back and look at exact dates but I think it was around 1993 for the public offering which was $9.00 a share. I got it on a drop later around $6.00.

I think it was around $1000.00 but not 100% sure without looking. It could have been more. 

The stock did a 2 for 1 split the next year then another 2 for 1 split in 1999 and by the time it did a 4 for 1 split in late 1999 I was sitting on over a million dollars of stock in it by 2000. 

I remember that because I partied in La Jolla at the time and took my sisters out to lunch afterwards and split the stock up among them as gifts. 

48 minutes ago, N e r V said:

:eek: I'll leave that to Vincent at Metropolis. He has a much more photogenic hairdo.

40 minutes ago, Bronty said:

One point (I can't take credit for) that's been said is that you can't leverage comic investments.  

This is true.

14 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
1 hour ago, N e r V said:

:eek: I'll leave that to Vincent at Metropolis. He has a much more photogenic hairdo.

Well, if you are worry about how your hair looks on TV, then maybe we should get Mike Carbo onto the show.  lol

11 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
55 minutes ago, Bronty said:

One point (I can't take credit for) that's been said is that you can't leverage comic investments.  

This is true.

+1

That plus the unfortunate fact that they are not considered to be registered investment vehicles that can placed into tax free investment shelters.  :frown: 

Yep, all of those things.   You get the strong rate of return on good books, but its all cash, all up front, non divisible, not leverageable, tax disadvantaged, hard to insure, easy for thieves to target, etc etc etc.

So, you take the good with the bad.

Edited by Bronty

7 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Yep, all of those things.   You get the strong rate of return on good books, but its all cash, all up front, non divisible, not leverageable, tax disadvantaged, hard to insure, easy for thieves to target, etc etc etc.

So, you take the good with the bad.

Very true. 

...but I don't enjoy buying stocks, real estate or cars, which means I am going to be at a severe information disadvantage to a person who does. I will never be as good at picking winners as someone who truly loves those markets. For me, dropping money on a comic is a safer (and easier) bet because I happen to be sort of obsessed with the hobby, and therefore in a much better position to make a good decision. 

Edited by october

2 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:
5 hours ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Ok. I'm not dissing the book and I have to admit it is growing on me the more I see it. I will be honest and tell you that I had never paid this book any attention and had seldom seen it in all my many years of comic book involvement before this thread. This book has earned a place in the GRR and I will post the complete book there very soon. It is all about the cover though, and personally I place great stock in interiors as well, that's probably why I can't quite grasp all the hubbub.

My 2 cents:  I've always felt that Fantastic 3 was one of many great Lou Fine Fox covers.  It never struck me as standing head and shoulders above the rest.  My impression has been that Fishler's hoarding created a mystique that significantly enhanced collectors' perceptions and the book's reputation. 

+1

Both of these points you have indicated above are absolutely bang on.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, october said:

Very true. 

...but I don't enjoy buying stocks, real estate or cars, which means I am going to be at a severe information disadvantage to a person who does. I will never be as good at picking winners as someone who truly loves those markets. For me, dropping money on a comic is a safer (and easier) bet because I happen to be sort of obsessed with the hobby, and therefore in a much better position to make a good decision. 

I agree