• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

Didn't realise this was finishing otherwise I would have watched. 

Pretty incredible price for a 9d comic my dad bought new 🙄

Hope it does bring other copies into view, even though I'm resigned to never replacing dad's copy that he sold back in 1980.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:27 AM, gadzukes said:

This Pence sale may do a few things....

1) Remove the "Stigma" from Pence copies.

2) Encourage more copies to come to auction because of the strong sale.

3) Encourage more raw copies to come out of collections and get slabbed.

4)   Focus the coffin dodgers' attention, and prod them to act now before it is too late. It would be a pity to see the Chancellor scoop these up.

On 9/8/2021 at 5:46 PM, gadzukes said:

$132,000 for the AF15 Pence

Hammer price 110k, buyer's premium 20% = 22k, commission on hammer price 6% = 6.6k.

Bottom line, 103.4k for vendor, 28.6k for HA.

Percentagewise, vendor gets approx 78%, HA 22%.

Suppose that is pretty reasonable, most auction houses, at least in UK, would slice off 40% or more.

On 9/9/2021 at 1:46 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Hammer price 110k, buyer's premium 20% = 22k, commission on hammer price 6% = 6.6k.

Bottom line, 103.4k for vendor, 28.6k for HA.

Percentagewise, vendor gets approx 78%, HA 22%.

Suppose that is pretty reasonable, most auction houses, at least in UK, would slice off 40% or more.

I guess the question is always...... would CC or CL had a similar result? If so, the seller would have made $1000s more.

On 9/9/2021 at 6:52 PM, gadzukes said:

would CC or CL had a similar result

Heritage cast their net wider than just comic books, so they pull in the speculators as well as the collectors.

I suspect that many of these high end books are being held as a hedge against the inflation that is surely on its way.

Works of art, vintage wine, classic cars, prestige watches, and now comic books, they are all just a commodity.

Record collectors will not play their vinyl in case it scratches, comic book investors will not read their mags, they are just going to sit there until the next of kin dispose of them.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:27 AM, gadzukes said:

This Pence sale may do a few things....

1) Remove the "Stigma" from Pence copies.

2) Encourage more copies to come to auction because of the strong sale.

3) Encourage more raw copies to come out of collections and get slabbed.

I would say 3.

My only issue being this side of the old pond is the postage (shipping) costs.

On 10/3/2021 at 4:46 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I picked up a lovely clean copy of Gunsmoke Western #58 at the fair today - my seventh copy of this issue, and by far the nicest:

1324738603_No.1GunsmokeWestern58(May1960).thumb.jpg.af223801048405555a4a3b26ba2c989d.jpg

Though it's a Miller indicia book, it doesn't have a cover stamp so it will become my new '1st 20 Marvel UKPV' set copy.

Very nice :)

That’s a really nice copy I very rarely see the cowboy comics and when I do there very rough 

On 10/3/2021 at 8:31 PM, Kevin.J said:

:roflmao:I wondered how long it would take you to bite lol 

:grin: you've probably got ten of them filed away and have forgotten Kev

On 10/3/2021 at 8:36 PM, Kevin.J said:

I dont think I have it, you got them all! lol 

Yes, all 63d's worth :)

Good day at the fair today Kev. A Charlton riot - got some real crackers - and managed to get 100 Golden Age Comic Concept bags at a full £91.00 under Darryl's current retail price :banana:

On 10/3/2021 at 8:39 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, all 63d's worth :)

Good day at the fair today Kev. A Charlton riot - got some real crackers - and managed to get 100 Golden Age Comic Concept bags at a full £91.00 under Darryl's current retail price :banana:

Which fair ? London?

On 10/3/2021 at 8:43 PM, Kevin.J said:

Yeah maybe I will make it down there again at some point, havent been in maybe 10 years

It's not what it was. Very rare you get a day like today. Not enough new sellers, or stock. 

On 10/3/2021 at 8:50 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's not what it was. Very rare you get a day like today. Not enough new sellers, or stock. 

I think it was like that for me a long time ago, I would go to a mart and come back with maybe 1 or 2 books, back in the day I would come home with a car full lol 

Last time I went to London I bought nothing and couldnt even find anything decent in the shops, I was after a Hulk #1 and no one had one for sale.

Thats why I havent been in so long :(