• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2021 at 9:56 PM, gadzukes said:

(I'd try to get some of those if I were you........ or are they squirrelled away in collections never to come out again?)

I guess when we were kids we just swapped them and read them to death lol I have loads of later issues in better condition as I started to look after them a bit more as I got older, the early stuff not so much.

I have been a collector for 50 years and never seen anything but a handful of the big guns in all those years.

I was set up at a show back in the day and someone offered a ASM 1 & and AF 15 for 1k each, that was a high price then, they both looked NM+  I tried but couldn't raise the cash at that moment and had to pass, he hawked them around the dealers all day but no takers, I never saw him again.

I guess those books never made it into a slab as your AF15 is still the highest I believe (worship)

I know that these are not UKPVs, but the fact that I was able to obtain them as long ago as 1967, before any large-scale transatlantic trade was possible, suggests to me that these were trickling through somehow, in spite of the assumption that they were ND.

Bought from JM Heal, mentioned previously. How he got hold of them, I have no idea, but I saw Suspense 9 in second hand shops  often enough to make me believe that some copies at least made it to the regular outlets, newsagents etc, although presumably always as cents copies. Ditto Astonish 9, but that was, in my experience at least, more elusive.

I never saw or heard of Suspense 11 or Astonish 12 or 13 or Strange Tales 78 until I was able to pick them up in New York in 1974.

I suspect, though, that the background to this is lost in the mists of time.

comicsuspense9.jpg

comicsuspense12a.jpg

On 9/1/2021 at 4:15 PM, gadzukes said:

I was just looking at Census data and thought I'd post current UK totals.

For added fun, have a look at some non(but still desirable)keys.

Sgt Fury 2 = 1

Sgt Fury Annual 1 = 0

Amazing Spider-Man Annual 2 = 3

Fantastic Four 2 = 12

Hulk 2 = 11

Hulk 3 = 14

Hulk 4 = 12

Hulk 5 = 9

Hulk 6 = 16

Strange Tales 101 = 3

Tales of Suspense 40 = 9

Journey into Mystery 84 = 6

Rawhide Kid 17 = 0

The scarcity of books like these is a big part of what keeps me searching...:banana:

An AF 15 Pence 7.0 (tied for highest on the census) is at auction on Heritage.

This must be a newly slabbed copy because for years my 7.0 was the "single highest graded copy".

I've always wanted to know the value of mine.  Guess I'm going to find out.  It's only at $48000 (with buyers premium) with 5 days left.  Fingers crossed that it goes way up.

Any predictions on the hammer price?  The last US 7.0 sold for $162,000, and that was fairly recent.  Will this one crack the $100k barrier?  It will definitely be a "record price" for a pence copy.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-uk-edition-marvel-1962-cgc-fn-vf-70-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7246-91032.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515#7246-21004

On 9/3/2021 at 2:17 PM, gadzukes said:

An AF 15 Pence 7.0 (tied for highest on the census) is at auction on Heritage.

This must be a newly slabbed copy because for years my 7.0 was the "single highest graded copy".

I've always wanted to know the value of mine.  Guess I'm going to find out.  It's only at $48000 (with buyers premium) with 5 days left.  Fingers crossed that it goes way up.

Any predictions on the hammer price?  The last US 7.0 sold for $162,000, and that was fairly recent.  Will this one crack the $100k barrier?  It will definitely be a "record price" for a pence copy.

But it is only a 'UK edition' according to HA.

The battle with CGC has been won, now we must educate HA.

On 9/3/2021 at 8:39 PM, gadzukes said:

Yikes, it even says UK Price Variant  right on the label and Heritage still called it an "edition"

I have emailed HA as follows:

Lot 91032 - AF 15.

You have this described as a 'UK Edition'.

It is in fact a UK Price Variant, as stated on the CGC label.

There is a significant distinction between these terms.

'UK Edition' may be read by some as a reprint.

The item you are offering is a first printing, with a variant price.

Whether it will register with them remains to be seen.

On 9/4/2021 at 5:04 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Lot 91032 - AF 15.

And the fight goes on.:popcorn:

On 9/1/2021 at 9:52 PM, Pantodude said:

Could be UK folks were less inclined to slab with CGC across the Atlantic, but the census numbers are telling.   Practically all of the SA keys, early but also late SA, top off at a much lower “highest” grade than the corresponding cents version.  If higher UKPVs existed, you would expect that at least some owners would have opted to take advantage of whatever benefit there is to slabbing, particularly in connection with a planned sale, but also storage/display.  But after all these years, there are still ZERO submissions to CGC in the highest grades of practically all the SA keys!  Not even one.  (shrug)

Comes back to the numbers involved: US print run numbers and the unsold returns that survived, in the hundreds of thousands with a good proportion surviving in warehouses to re-emerge years later on the collector market, many in high grade. 

UK part of the print run, maybe tens of thousands? Had to survive being transported in boats. (Ballast theory applied or discounted.) No unsold returns process that I am aware of in the UK and the fact that SA comics passed through many hands, including book exchanges where they were resold at half price with a big ink stamp on the front cover. Much slimmer chance of any surviving in truly high grade. IMO.

Odds were just stacked against them. Treasure the ones we have! They are true survivors. 

On 9/4/2021 at 8:06 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

No unsold returns process that I am aware of in the UK

T & P supplied the trade with full SOR.

There are many examples of returns having out again, with a triangular 6d (original price 9d or 10d) stamp on the front cover.

Also many issues rebound and put back on the market with a new cover, as Double Double Comics.

But a lot of them probably ended up as waste paper.

It would be fascinating to know the full story, but we probably never will.

On 9/4/2021 at 12:04 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Lot 91032 - AF 15.

The seller should be looking at the auction and be upset about the description.  They've got a lot riding on this.

On 9/4/2021 at 12:04 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Lot 91032 - AF 15.

Dang, I just looked at mine.  It says says "UK Edition"

1.jpeg

On 9/5/2021 at 6:03 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

This must go back a bit, then, before CGC saw the error of their ways.

Yeah, it was probably slabbed 8 years ago.  

The thought of sending it back for a reholder doesn't really appeal to me because of it's value compared to possible shipping snafus, but I have to admit I would like to have the "UK Price Variant" designation on the label

On 9/5/2021 at 3:12 PM, gadzukes said:

Yeah, it was probably slabbed 8 years ago.  

The thought of sending it back for a reholder doesn't really appeal to me because of it's value compared to possible shipping snafus, but I have to admit I would like to have the "UK Price Variant" designation on the label

A lot more people are coming around to the truth of Pence copies, you have the highest graded of the coolest one, I honestly wouldn't worry about it unless you ever come to sell it and then make a big noise on whatever venue that is.

Supercool, especially with the bonus Stan sig, I love it (worship)(worship)(worship)

CGC is still a little inconsistent.  My Iron Man #100 has a grade date of 17 MAR 2021 and was still labelled as 'U.K. Edition'.  I was pulled in by the power of the pence a few years ago.  I love finding them.  In a nutshell, I have a list of books I'm looking for and mark which (if any) has a corresponding pence copy.  I always look for the pence copy just for kicks.  If I find a nice one, then I buy it.  I've yet to get a 9.8 on any I have submitted, but I have had a 9.6 and a few more in the 9's.  

IM100_label.jpg