• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2022 at 3:37 PM, gadzukes said:

Imagine..... defacing the beauty of a UK variant.   Appalling.

Indeed.

And then imagine being the leading grading company that falls for it!

Probably...

400360940_Hiddenpencecopy.thumb.jpg.9e6cc0bc8cf885e0f9d2a47d793a2719.jpg.3cf332cf086c1936aa92e27b9a3732a7.jpg

On 5/30/2022 at 4:26 PM, gadzukes said:

I guess they didn't look at the indicia? (shrug)

They say they did, on second inspection. They just neglected to take pictures to prove it, leaving the owner none the wiser and wondering why anyone would do that to a cents copy. It's a long story, buried somewhere in this thread. 

I honestly can't understand the historical stigma associated with "pence" price variants. I know that collectors are finally reevaluating these books but for the longest time, most collectors wouldn't touch them. Even if they did, it was at a very steep discount to the "cents" FMV values. This is mind boggling to me, considering the premiums that collectors have always paid for other price variants (i.e. Canadian, Australian). On top of that, if you factor in the scarcity of pence books in the market (4,450 U.S. copies vs. 85 Pence copies of ASM 1 in CGC census), collectors really should be prioritizing these variants over the normal cents copies. An investment no-brainer I.M.H.O.

On 5/30/2022 at 6:30 PM, Nilo2 said:

I honestly can't understand the historical stigma associated with "pence" price variants. I know that collectors are finally reevaluating these books but for the longest time, most collectors wouldn't touch them. Even if they did, it was at a very steep discount to the "cents" FMV values. This is mind boggling to me, considering the premiums that collectors have always paid for other price variants (i.e. Canadian, Australian). On top of that, if you factor in the scarcity of pence books in the market (4,450 U.S. copies vs. 85 Pence copies of ASM 1 in CGC census), collectors really should be prioritizing these variants over the normal cents copies. An investment no-brainer I.M.H.O.

Yes. Many times have I speculated on this point....

Tide's a turning though, isn't it Nilo. 

On 5/30/2022 at 6:55 PM, Nilo2 said:

It is indeed! @Get Marwood & I It's frankly about time.

Every dog has its day Nilo. And coincidentally, dogs describes the condition of most of my remaining copies :)

On 5/30/2022 at 3:19 PM, gadzukes said:

I saw this one on ebay and it made me wonder..... how many UK variants have been marked up to look like US copies?

This one is a particularly bad job.

I have shown this one before, its still the best example of a conversion I have found anyway, it would be tough to know if you didnt know :) 

The scanner shows it up more but it hand you would struggle.

10.thumb.jpg.4359c881c580b057fe58d48334bdb6cb.jpg

Screenshot_2.png.b8a5cbafc11774fa3400a5f5a8de2648.png

Edited by Kevin.J

On 5/31/2022 at 11:27 AM, Kevin.J said:

I have shown this one before, its still the best example of a conversion I have found anyway, it would be tough to know if you didnt know :) 

What did they do with the indicia, Kev - remind me. 

On 5/31/2022 at 6:27 AM, Kevin.J said:

Screenshot_2.png.b8a5cbafc11774fa3400a5f5a8de2648.png

Whoever did this has skills

On 5/31/2022 at 7:27 PM, gadzukes said:

Whoever did this has skills

I will look for you.  I will find you.  And I will doctor your pence copy.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:28 PM, Every Day A Story said:

Ouch with that staining - this one feels way overpaid.

A candidate for the old clean and press, no doubt. Get that stain off and you could do well.