• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the Boards Mean to You
3 3

69 posts in this topic

I did a lot of researching on slabbed books from other sites before making my first graded purchase, then a few months later I found the forum and signed up.

This place can be quite informative. I've learned a LOT about the hobby. From the physical aspects of grading to the history of the hobby. The information is great

I love the boards :luhv:  I've had trouble since Saturday signing on and @Architecht finally got me back on :foryou: I have not been happy with the switch over but after not being able to get on here I see how much I really miss it. I guess I'm officially old and don't like change lol I love the community of these boards and how most here come together to help others out and I feel like I've met some really nice people here. From @skypinkblu to @oakman29 to @walclark to @Senormac  just to name a few that I have talked to over the years, and all the fun contests and Christmas things we do that make this place so much fun I look forward to them so much :x SO I would like to say a big thanks to all those I've talked and met in person and hope to meet someday and hangout and talk comics so a big :applause:to Walter, Sharon, Dave, Mike, Andy, Tim, Jeff, Wayne, Rick, Robb, Adam, Joey, Dale, Steve, Paul, Justin, Andrew, Joe, Leroy, Chris, Tom, Richard, Greg, Royce, Sean, Ron, Lee, Ernie, Guy, Christopher, Nick, Ed, Amit, Neil, Shin, Josh, David, Dan, Larry, Jason, Trey, Vern, Craig, Alex, Mark, Collin, Michael, Robert, John, Hector, Kelly, Don, Lawrence, Arex, Randy, Eric, Joanna, Forrest, Alex, Winston. That's the thing I've met and talked to so many cool people here I'm sure I'm leaving a few out :shy:  

Edited by Azkaban

6 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

I love the boards :luhv:  I've had trouble since Saturday signing on and Arch finally got me back on :foryou: I have not been happy with the switch over but after not being able to get on here I see how much I really miss it. I guess I'm officially old and don't like change lol I love the community of these boards and how most here come together to help others out and I feel like I've met some really nice people here. From "skypinkblu  to "oakman29" to "walclark" to "senormac" just to name a few that I have talked to over the years, and all the fun contests and Christmas things we do that make this place so much fun I look forward to them so much :x SO I would like to say a big thanks to all those I've talked and met in person and hope to meet someday and hangout and talk comics so a big :applause:to Walter, Sharon, Dave, Mike, Andy, Tim, Jeff, Wayne, Rick, Robb, Adam, Joey, Dale, Steve, Paul, Justin, Andrew, Joe, Leroy, Chris, Tom, Richard, Greg, Royce, Sean, Ron, Lee, Ernie, Guy, Christopher, Nick, Ed, Amit, Neil, Shin, Josh, David, Dan, Larry, Jason, Trey, Vern, Craig, Alex, Mark, Collin, Michael, Robert, John, Hector, Kelly, Don, Lawrence, Arex, Randy, Eric, Joanna, Forrest, Alex, Winston. That's the thing I've met and talked to so many cool people here I'm sure I'm leaving a few out :shy:  

:cloud9:

On 3/11/2017 at 2:29 AM, thehumantorch said:

I First came here to learn about CGC books.  Had none and had never seen one except in pictures.  I didn't know any other collectors, rarely spent more than $200 on a book, hell rarely spent more than $50 on a book.  I didn't know  about pedigree books aside from the Mile Highs, pressing, grading standards, auction sites outside ebay, or restoration.

Looking back it's startling to realize just how important this place has been to me and how much it's changed the hobby for me.

I've talked to a lot of great people, met quite a few in person, bought some wonderful books, expanded my budget, learned so so much and overall found the hobby more rewarding.  Thanks CGC.

Excellent post.  This has been a great place to learn a lot more about the comic book medium, their creators, and all aspects of the hobby of collecting.  It's also been a great place to meet people and make new friendships, and be part of a diverse community.  Finally, this has been a great place to buy, sell, and trade.

Edited by namisgr

2 hours ago, HighStakesComics said:

I joined these boards while I was undergoing chemo for part of my cancer treatment. I may have been a bit obnioxous at first and I apologize if I offended anyone. Between the knowledge, camaraderie, grading contests, spirited debate, and sales forums where one can find great books at reasonable prices this place is the premier chat board in my humble opinion.

Since I joined my cancer has been declared in remission and I have been back to work for over 2 years now. My family and I are truly blessed. I look forward to many more years of sharing thoughts and ideas here and I will always be grateful for the entertainment here during an otherwise tough time in my life.

Here's to many more years to come:martini:

So glad you're cancer is in remission.  Isn't it strange how important an online chat board can be and how it can mean different things for different people?

What the boards mean to me? If I were only allowed one word, that would be "education". I have learned quite a bit from the people here (I almost said members here, but there are some that like to take things out of context lol).

I originally joined, just about 8 years ago, after someone on another website linked to Bangzoom's GA post. After reading that amazing post I poked around here and thought that maybe this will be a good place to add to my daily reading. Although I do not post a whole lot, I still like to visit and read up on things.

To me : education, community, endless rabbit holes of books & genres to explore, sales threads, event notices and more education. This place is like the LinkedIn for panelologists.

Got started here just like others - was going to buy a book on eBay and saw a slabbed copy and had to learn more. Got hooked on PunyHuman's Pre-Hero Marvel thread in the Silver Age section, watching BronzeAgeFan complete his 20 30 year run of Marvel comics and seeing all the amazing pedigree books. And yes, there have been some very interesting characters and some great entertainment value along the way!

Its been part of my daily internet habit for years. Hope it continues!

-bc

The way I started here was by mentioning to another collector at a British comic mart that I'd just bought a couple of slabbed CGC books via eBay, and he suggested I have a look at the CGC site and Collectors Society.  I lurked for about a year and then decided to join and participate.  I've always liked having a very broad-based, bit-of-this-and-that knowledge about comics across all periods, as with my equally-unfocused collecting approach, but I'm always willing to listen to and learn from collectors who have far greater experience in certain Ages or genres, or whatever their specialty here might be.  It's been interesting to read and learn a great deal over near a decade now.  I've always enjoyed participating in some of the competitions here to learn more about my strengths and weaknesses; a strong visual aptitude for 'Guess the Cover' contests but absolutely, pitifully OCD and inept when it's down to grading.

Alternatively, when it's a quiet day there's always the option of goofing off with Jimmers and the rest of the 'Water Cooler nutjobs', as we've been referred to here in Comics General.

I've certainly met a number of like-minded individuals who I have a lot in common with in terms of taste in comics and sense of humour but, due to my bluntness, probably alienated some as well.  

Because of health issues I've cut back a lot on my active, physical involvement with comics; not attending marts or conventions, not going to the LCS, buying neither new material nor old back issues.   The only involvement I have now is reading digital comics and the boards and so, if anything, checking in here to see what's going on is more important than ever.
Edited by Ken Aldred

I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth. And indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory. This most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why, it appeareth nothing to me but a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculties! How like an angel in apprehension. How like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me, no, nor woman neither. Nor woman neither. I quite like comics though, and this is quite a good place to talk about them.

8 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth. And indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory. This most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why, it appeareth nothing to me but a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculties! How like an angel in apprehension. How like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me, no, nor woman neither. Nor woman neither. I quite like comics though, and this is quite a good place to talk about them.

whatever happened to,all the Shakespearos?

3 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

whatever happened to,all the Shakespearos?

I get that he's a comics fan, Jimmers, but the only part I can guess at from amongst all the preceding archaic stuff is that 'quintessence of dust' might mean that he likes the odour of old newsprint comics.  And there's nothing wrong with that.

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

You just made me VERY happy!:cloud9:

I preferred Duchess though. Great song, great cover. Might turn up on Morlars thread....