• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's try this... the Golden Age ORIGINAL ART Thread
4 4

276 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thank you for this! That last paragraph corroborates what the art dealer (and my eyes and others') tell me, that Meskin and Jerry Robinson did finishes over Kirby but he worked on all the pages. I hate that the guide calls this into question, not that I plan on selling it, but other than the Stuntman pages and the couple Cap outliers you showed, the Boys Ranch pages are the earliest Kirby left out there in the collecting community.

Do you have a clearer photo of your Boy's Ranch? The blonde guy in the 4th panel looks very Kirby. 

Just now, Ameri said:

Do you have a clearer photo of your Boy's Ranch? The blonde guy in the 4th panel looks very Kirby. 

Just now, Ameri said:

Thank you, exactly! I will try to reshoot it.

Just now, Readcomix said:

I think all the faces on the page are very 50's Kirby, and the art is quite consistent thru all six issues of Boys' Ranch.

The faces sure look Kirby especially the kid in the first panel and the guys at the table. That blonde guy actually looks like Kirby.  It it was inked by someone else, it didn't obscure the original artist's style. When Ditko inked Kirby in Hulk 2, everything looked Ditko, but not in your case.  

2 minutes ago, Ameri said:

The faces sure look Kirby especially the kid in the first panel and the guys at the table. That blonde guy actually looks like Kirby.  It it was inked by someone else, it didn't obscure the original artist's style. When Ditko inked Kirby in Hulk 2, everything looked Ditko, but not in your case.  

Thank you! I'm pretty confident the guide is wrong in this case, and I've to find someone who disagrees after actually seeing this page. It looks very much like Kirby finished by Meskin and Robinson.

28 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thank you! I'm pretty confident the guide is wrong in this case, and I've to find someone who disagrees after actually seeing this page. It looks very much like Kirby finished by Meskin and Robinson.

In Joe Simon's bio, he said that he and Jack thought Boys Ranch was their best collaborative effort. Given that, Kirby was more invested in that series than many others. Given that, he mostly likely did all the art. There's this Boy Explorer art on Ebay that is clearly not Kirby:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Simon-Jack-Kirby-1946-Boy-Explorers-2-pg-43-Original-art-RARE-/391625620690?hash=item5b2eb4bcd2:g:jjcAAOSw-KFXccoS

7 hours ago, Ameri said:

In Joe Simon's bio, he said that he and Jack thought Boys Ranch was their best collaborative effort. Given that, Kirby was more invested in that series than many others. Given that, he mostly likely did all the art. There's this Boy Explorer art on Ebay that is clearly not Kirby:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Simon-Jack-Kirby-1946-Boy-Explorers-2-pg-43-Original-art-RARE-/391625620690?hash=item5b2eb4bcd2:g:jjcAAOSw-KFXccoS

Thank you! I have no idea what the notation in the guide derives from; all things including the BR piece itself point to it being Kirby.

In the GCD it says this is Lee Elias, but the dealer who sold it to me insisted it's Bob Lubbers.  I'm not good enough with artists to be able to tell the difference.  Does anyone have any opinions?

Mike

Firehair 2.jpg

Edited by Monkeyman

15 hours ago, Ameri said:

Used to have page 6 from the same Submariner story. No Subby on that page either 

20160611_151927_zpstnnlxm2h.jpg

Beautiful. Did you see that one of the Subby pages sold in the last Heritage auction?

1 hour ago, Monkeyman said:

In the GCD it says this is Lee Elias, but the dealer who sold it to me insisted it's Bob Lubbers.  I'm not good enough with artists to be able to tell the difference.  Does anyone have any opinions?

Mike

Firehair 2.jpg

Looks more like Elias than Lubbers to my non-professional eyes. Among multiple differences in styles (thickness of long ink lines, dotting in the branches, etc.), the one that stand out in my mind is the many ink lines in Firehair's hair which is much more Elias than Lubbers. Lubbers generally define the shape of the hair and will let color define folds while Elias inks in all hair meshes and threads.

6 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Beautiful. Did you see that one of the Subby pages sold in the last Heritage auction?

Yes, that was the one I posted which is page 6. I consigned it to them. When I originally purchased it, the dealer had most of the story but only one page with Subby, but it was very expensive so I opted for the cheapest one. Here were his other pages. He had the one that you own as well, which is page 2. These are pages 3,7,8. The Sub Mariner page was great but thousands more.

allselect2p3_zps736awu4i.jpg

allselect2pg7_zpsy7cwyfg2.jpg

allselect2pg8%20HERITAGE_zpsbjtkndbr.jpg