• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's try this... the Golden Age ORIGINAL ART Thread
4 4

276 posts in this topic

On March 29, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Ameri said:

Original art prices in the late 70's. Time machine wanted

ROGOFSKY%20ORIGINAL%20ART_zpsadztqdpt.jp

Of coarse at this time in 1977 you could just have easily walked around picking up copies of Hulk #181 in NM++ for a buck or less. X-Men #94 and GS X-Men #1 for little more. Tons of deals by today's standards. Maybe try and grab a HG Suspense comics #3 for $5.00?

Actually the Hulk and X Men could be had for well under a $1 in '77, the EC's listed were actually on the expensive side relative to everything else. The Russ Cochran reprints were driving up the prices somewhat artificially. I baught some Rich Buckler Avengers pages from Howard around that time including a nice double page splash for $35, also picked up a mint X Men 1 for $10. 

Yeah I don't think the new X-Men prices even started to take off until 1979 and even then it's cheap by anything today. Hulk #181 didn't get noticed until sometime in the 1980's. I remember going through stacks of original art at the San Diego Comic Cons in the 1980's and trying not to damage it afterwards as I made my way across the old dealers room floor. I think pages were as low as $5.00 in some cases. A couple of dealers even would throw in an extra page if you bought enough. Times have changed. 

1980...eighth grade....my first back issue purchase for more than a few bucks....$60 for a NM X-Men #94. It was my second copy. First one was off the racks and well-read already by then. I still have both. Ignore those silly GS#1's...they came later, during high school....had to do $25 or $30 each in trade to get those.

image_zpsgyroy8dr.jpeg

I know it's the GA OO thread, but since we are digressing a bit about late 70's/early 80's prices, there's no sense tells the story without the photo since it's handy. (There's a club over in Bronze.) someone will get us back on track eventually.

Thanks, there was a time I did the framing myself, but I have these great wholesale framers down here, who are actually cheaper than buying the materials. Great guys and they have a color laser printer which helps:)