• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's try this... the Golden Age ORIGINAL ART Thread
4 4

276 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

From Speed 20. I was told the artist is Louis Cazeneuve. I believe that to be true.

Speed 20 pg 6.jpg

Speed 20 pg 7.jpg

Speed 20 pg 8.jpg

3 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

I bought this from Heritage over a dozen years ago. The auction listed it as Al Avison art. It's a half page from Speed 43.

AL AVISON SPEED 43 PG (2).jpg

Dang man that is Awesome with a capital A!!!!

On 3/23/2017 at 0:55 AM, Scrooge said:

I have two Fiction House Firehair pages by Lubbers. Here's one with the printed version below -

Firehair11OAPage2.gif

Firehair11-Rangers21-Pages.jpg

Looks like they spiced up Firehair's outfit for the printed version...

1Firehair.jpg.6020a53f8ecfca56a8c28c22a460745d.jpg

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Love that Feldstein art!

agree, except the sailor in the background has an odd look.   Took me a while to figure out it was a dude :o

Edited by Bronty

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

A lot of nice Friction House art being posted. Wonder why so much of it survived from this company?

That's an interesting question.  I've got at least three full stories of 6 to 8 pages and a few other individual pages.  Based on what others are posting, it looks like a lot of FH material was saved. ???

16 hours ago, BOOT said:

Actually they toned it down for whatever post-code issue the story was reprinted in. I would bet if the page were cleaned and the editing removed the art underneath would have the more threadbare costume.

16 hours ago, BOOT said:

Looks like they spiced up Firehair's outfit for the printed version...

1Firehair.jpg.6020a53f8ecfca56a8c28c22a460745d.jpg

Almost. It's the opposite in fact. I should have been more carefully in my post. Though the pages are listed as Firehair, this is a reused story from an earlier Rangers issue (# 20 something IIRC). The printed page are before the art has been reworked. The retouch not only lengthened her outfit but also some text was edited. The reprint occurred closer to Wertham's era and the editors were playing it safer. Good eye, sir :hi:

47 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Actually they toned it down for whatever post-code issue the story was reprinted in. I would bet if the page were cleaned and the editing removed the art underneath would have the more threadbare costume.

Whatever the Master said. That's exactly the case. However, this was not a post-code issue, still pre-code (unless it appeared in some random IW publication and I didn't check on that ... though didn't IW mostly reprint from Avon, no?)