• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March Madness Grading Tournament - Final
2 2

115 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, DeadOne said:

Thanks to BlowUpTheMoon for putting this on and for showing us some pretty cool books.

Thank you.  I tried to include some interesting books (no cover JIM #83, that WBN #1, lots of double covers, Dell, etc.) instead of just Marvel /DC.

Congrats to Betty!  ^^

Thank you Blowie and Shin! Great contest as always!

And even though I lost to LordRahl in the challenge, I do enjoy the fact that all of us in this round beat that greenham and eggs guy!  :insane:  Just kidding, great tournament Andy.

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Contrats Betty and thirdgreen, what a great battle.

So Betty, what's your secret?  Low post count, first time contestent.  Where did you learn to grade so well?

No secret :) just been grading books for a long time and have invested a lot of time in trying to know what something would grade at (through CGC anyway... still havent nailed down voldy's style completely.) While I am not very active on the boards as far as chatting is concerned, I do watch you guys a lot and am pretty active on other forums (I am under "Love, Anna" on other things ♡ switched it up here when I made the acct. ... no idea why.)  I love books, esp GA, and have a decent sized collection. I learned early on that you have to be better at knowing what you are looking at ( ie condition/resto/etc) than the person you are buying from to get the best deal. Plus, all my friends are nerds, mostly guys, and being pretty good at this is a fun party trick ;)

Edited by Betty-Bates

Congrats BB and 3GH!  Thanks again to BlowUpThemoon and Sckao.  You guys rock, and I know with all this work this is a labor of love.  What do you guys collect?   I need to donate a prize to both of you sooner or later......

I just dropped by.  I thought the results would be by Wednesday.  I guess everyone couldn't wait.  Some incredible precision grading.  Incredible final.  Cinderella story - Congrats Betty-Bates.  You really showed the guys that this is not just an all-male hobby.

Great tourney everyone! Congrats to Betty and runner up Andy. Much thanks to Blowupthemoon, Torch, and everyone else who always make these things possible. I tell ya, I don't know how you guys get so close on those grades. They are tough! 

Just catching up to the thread...CONGRATS to Betty-Bates! ^^ :headbang:  And of course to the other finalists who did really well...amazing final round.   And a THANKS to BUTM...Sckao and Human Torch of course for putting this on...an incredible and devoted effort that I can assure you is greatly appreciated! :applause:

Playing on the sidelines I had my best round of the tourney in the final with 3 bulls and a .5 off...just can't ever get out of the 2nd round here...and then I usually do much better on the grades after I've been bounced.  Still great fun...and THX AGAIN!!