• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next ComicConnect Auction is putting up some interesting stuff
3 3

217 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

There's definitely going to be a lot of Action in this particular CC Event Auction here.  :gossip:

Yes, pretty hard to beat unrestored decent HTF copies of Action 2, Action 3, Action 7, Action 13, and even an unrestored copy of Action 10, all in the same one auction here.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Early Sup covers has been performing well and seems under rated to the pre-robbins. An Action 15 3.0 recently sold on CC for over 7600, and a Action 13 1.5 qualified on the CL for 12600.  I wonder if these early Sup will echo how well these pre-robbins have been performing lately. hm

2 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Early Sup covers has been performing well and seems under rated to the pre-robbins. An Action 15 3.0 recently sold on CC for over 7600, and a Action 13 1.5 qualified on the CL for 12600.  I wonder if these early Sup will echo how well these pre-robbins have been performing lately. hm

Most definitely 

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:
3 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Most definitely 

+1

In total agreement with both of you here.  (thumbsu

I believe there is quite a bit of pent up demand for some of these really early Supes Action covers as it's now been a couple of years since we saw a few of them come into the marketplace.  At that time, they took quite a significant jump in order to catch up with the pre-Robin 'Tec's, and I believe there will be another jump in prices as the pre-Robin's have gone up quite a bit in the interim.  Especially when there's not much showing up in term of the pre-Robin 'Tec's in this auction here, so most of early DC action will be with the early Action books on this go round.    hm

Action 13 seems to still have a lot of gas left in its tank as I still remember a raw Poor copy without a back cover selling for close to $15K in one of the Sunday Heritage Auctions last summer.  And one of the few books that seems to have no problems continuing to sell for a premium to guide even in restored (slight) condition which is a true rarity in this hyper anti-PLOD marketplace.  :blush:

Edited by lou_fine

9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
16 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

It would be interesting to see if the market can absorb all these prime selection of books this year.

No problem at all

Here's hoping you're wrong.  I could use a few cheap wins. :)

19 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

It would be interesting to see if the market can absorb all these prime selection of books this year.

Hopefully not.  It would be great to finally see a few bargains, for the first time in about 7 years.

I'd like to add a book or two as well but at these crazy prices for the top dog books and the super rare ones that pop up once in a lifetime for sale make it tough to shell out more $ beyond your limit to try and win.

The Superman #27 CGC 9.6  in the auction...

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=719659

Used to be a CGC 8.0 ?!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superman-27-dc-1944-cgc-vf-80-white-pages-a-cute-cover-image-showing-the-unlikely-situation-of-lois-lane-putting-supe/a/809-3144.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Now that is a big step up! 8.0 to 9.6... I don't think I have ever seen that big a step.

Edited by clarkkentdds

14 hours ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

But seriously: so many of these slab scans look terribly distorted. Why is that?

This Startling #49 is a great example, though there are others that look worse. In the scan of the front, the lower left corner looks miscut like the spine is angled and is jutting out to the left an extra half inch as it comes down. But in the scan of the back, the opposite corner is jutting off to the left and the spine looks perfectly square... thus implying the problem is scan distortion, not an actual miscut to the book.

If I were a consignor in the auction I'd be quite unhappy with this.

2 hours ago, clarkkentdds said:

What makes you think these 2 copies would both be the same copies?  (shrug)  ??? 

1 hour ago, comicjack said:

I have seen a 5.5 go to 8.0 go figure 

I believe Jeff (nearmint) was also able to get one of his GA books to go from 6.5 all the way up to a 9.0 simply by pressing out the light subscription crease, if my memory serves me correctly.  :gossip:

They are the same... See the brown fleck near Lois Lanes left elbow and white flecks on Supes chest. Fingerprint matches. I've known  this for several years as I researched that copy  when it sold few years ago on Clink (for around $4k). It was on EBay for few years at BIN of $10k with no takers. 

Pressed resubs like these never get by me... I'm the Sherlock Holmes of this stuff.

Edited by clarkkentdds

36 minutes ago, clarkkentdds said:

They are the same... See the brown fleck near Lois Lanes left elbow and white flecks on Supes chest. Fingerprint matches. I've known  this for several years as I researched that copy  when it sold few years ago on Clink (for around $4k). It was on EBay for few years at BIN of $10k with no takers. 

Pressed resubs like these never get by me... I'm the Sherlock Holmes of this stuff.

Is it just me or was the book dry cleaned as well?

43 minutes ago, clarkkentdds said:

Poor sucker who doesn't know about it all for the mighty buck 

3 hours ago, comicjack said:
4 hours ago, clarkkentdds said:

Poor sucker who doesn't know about it all for the mighty buck 

I imagine with the new grading team in place at CGC and headed up by Matt Nelson, I imagine there would many potential 9-ish books sitting in 8-ish or possibly even 7-ish slabs if the customers did not provide CGC with the "courtesy" of using some of their additional paid services prior to grading.  Especially when compared to the previous grading teams that were in place prior to this current incarnation. 

Any bets that if we look hard enough at some of the books in this current auction, there'll be several examples of this.  Especially when it comes to what would otherwise be HG books except for tiny and barely perceptible non-color breaking creases or ticks which are probably not even visible from detailed scans.  hm

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I imagine with the new grading team in place at CGC and headed up by Matt Nelson, I imagine there would many potential 9-ish books sitting in 8-ish or possibly even 7-ish slabs if the customers did not provide CGC with the "courtesy" of using some of their additional paid services prior to grading.  Especially when compared to the previous grading teams that were in place prior to this current incarnation. 

Any bets that if we look hard enough at some of the books in this current auction, there'll be several examples of this.  Especially when it comes to what would otherwise be HG books except for tiny and barely perceptible non-color breaking creases or ticks which are probably not even visible from detailed scans.  hm

Examples of what?  Are you saying that CGC is intentionally giving lower grades to books that don't use the CCS pressing service?