• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BATGIRL starring Leslie Grace (2022?)
5 5

472 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2022 at 7:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

My understanding is that they could never release it, ever, because if they did it's tax fraud.

The studio can never release it.  Things are stolen all the time.  I have a few albums of material on my computer that were scrapped and never to be released but were leaked to the public for free anyway. 

On 8/23/2022 at 7:23 AM, Buzzetta said:

The studio can never release it.  Things are stolen all the time.  I have a few albums of material on my computer that were scrapped and never to be released but were leaked to the public for free anyway. 

RTSC was always a campaign to get the movie officially released, since we (most of us) knew it wasn't 100% finished. I'm not sure who people would petition - if not the studio - for Batgirl to be released.

Maybe Deadpool is a better comp? IDK if the movie was 'scrapped' before the test footage was 'leaked'.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

RTSC was always a campaign to get the movie officially released, since we (most of us) knew it wasn't 100% finished. I'm not sure who people would petition - if not the studio - for Batgirl to be released.

Maybe Deadpool is a better comp? IDK if the movie was 'scrapped' before the test footage was 'leaked'.

Probably but you get the idea. 

I was thinking of the Lillywhite sessions from the Dave Matthews Band.  Steve Lillywhite produced the album which is scrapped as it was not “pop” enough.  The sessions were chalked up to a loss by the record company and they were never to be released.  Someone sent the album to a guy that was head of a cover band or a fan club.  The fan club guy released them on the internet. 

Record company forces Dave Matthews Band to record an album anyway under Glenn Ballard.  They re-record many of the tracks with a more upbeat sound and add new ones.  The album is titled, Busted Stuff. 

Fans want an official release of the original Lillywhite produced album but the studio declined citing that the material is essentially stolen.  

So a fan in the recording industry mastered the raw tracks himself and released them back into the public under a variant name. 

Yeah, more like the Deadpool footage as I think of it. Good call. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I mean, they could change their minds down the road, even after using it as a tax write off.  They'd just have to pay back whatever amount they wrote it off for. 

I think that's legal?  Not that it's likely.  

Someone is claiming that the director's words were in French, and some things were lost in translation. It's alleged that the director did not mean that Batgirl was "deleted", rather that he and his team's access to the data was blocked. I would say that makes more sense.

On 8/23/2022 at 6:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

20220819_010841.jpg.700aed1875c264a7b6684fdbbc14f4f1.jpg

I find it nauseating that a studio would actually destroy a film in this day and age. Lots of great movies were damaged or destroyed by greedy movie studios. It's really disturbing. Put it on a shelf in a vault, and lock it if they must. But destruction is going too far.

On 8/25/2022 at 7:40 AM, Larryw7 said:

I find it nauseating that a studio would actually destroy a film in this day and age.

It's possible that the film's destruction is required in order to receive the tax credits, as this is the case with many tech industries receiving tax credits for scrapped projects.

One thing that has not been spoken about is the "Moichendizing".

From concept to retail you are looking at about a year lead in.  Now certain movies are not going to have as much merchandising as others.  But, let's see here...

With Batgirl, you would have had a returning Keaton as Batman.  Toy companies such as McFarlane and Lego would have loved the opportunity to produce Batgirl products in the hopes to expand their demographic.  You might have had everything else from posters, mugs, t-shirts to new "Batgirl" capes at Great Adventure. 

I guarantee you that if the film was ready to enter post production, that all of these companies that licensed the property to produce merchandise were already in varying degrees of completion for their products.  For instance, there were Star Wars "Kenobi" figures revealed and available for order as episodes were being released.  Hasbro was given access to the series as it was in production to produce their figures.  I am wondering how this impacts the meanufacturers.

As an aside, when this HAS happened before and some things were able to be reworked.  With Lego, the impact is really minimal unless they reach the production stage and things are boxed up and ready to go.  When it comes to something like Transformers, when that was delayed, many figures were reworked into different assortment waves and under a different campaign branding in an effort to get product to shelves.

Certain companies though like Sideshow or Hot Toys strive for accuracy and rely on the property to reach the public.  I wonder where those types of companies are left hanging as I envision a Sideshow Batman from Batgirl was already licensed, conceptualized, drafted and in preproduction. 

All of this costs money.

Do they get reimbursed for their loss as well? Surely they are experiencing damages.  

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/25/2022 at 5:26 AM, Bosco685 said:

What a brand mess this has become. All because Emmerich kept changing his mind, Hamada was brought in to change things mid-way, and now Zaslov is trying to do a cleanup of it all. Years of a mess to untangle.

tumblr_164bf761b248568a335aae2ef3125a44_bbf8ee63_540.gif

On 8/25/2022 at 6:40 AM, Larryw7 said:

I find it nauseating that a studio would actually destroy a film in this day and age. Lots of great movies were damaged or destroyed by greedy movie studios. It's really disturbing. Put it on a shelf in a vault, and lock it if they must. But destruction is going too far.

lar, if an artist had paid this aquino woman a fee to model for him, and decided after paying her that he was dissatisfied with the painting, would it be ok in your opinion for him to destroy that which he owned?   and should the compensated model's feelings be relevant?