• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BATGIRL starring Leslie Grace (2022?)
5 5

471 posts in this topic

• Administrator

I am not sure how talking about movies can cause such a ruckus.  1 person has been ejected.  If I have to keep coming to this thread, I may have to lock it.  I have already lost track as to how many times i have been here.  

On 8/4/2022 at 2:26 PM, ExNihilo said:

Can they just cut Flash already.  Does ANYONE want to see that film given the massive legal woes surrounding the lead actor?

There have been on again off again rumors if Flash will every see the light of day also. Discovery is not showing any fear in cutting things that were expensive.  Batgirl was around $90 million  but the big one was CNN streaming that reportedly had cost of at least $350 million (now a massive loss).  Based on the CNN loss, I could still see them shelving a movie they have spent between $150 and $200 million on.

Edited by drotto

On 8/4/2022 at 4:08 AM, Bosco685 said:

Sounds like you are making this a personal topic. @CGC Mike had asked that it not go there.

But let's be honest, Mr. Occam's Razor. Those repeating over and over it must have been bad also are attempting to make their beliefs true too, no matter what articles and experts state. Or did you miss that reverse situation?

There have been far more egregious discussions elsewhere on these boards.  This seems like a minor quibble to go get the attention of a mod for.  Especially since the comments are more an interpretation of your comments and less a personal attack.

On 8/4/2022 at 3:08 PM, ExNihilo said:

There have been far more egregious discussions elsewhere on these boards.  This seems like a minor quibble to go get the attention of a mod for.  Especially since the comments are more an interpretation of your comments and less a personal attack.

Were you the one that got a personal message from the moderator to ignore some of these folks so as not to make it personal?

If not, think again. You are not clear what took place since yesterday. But thanks for your input. :cheers:

On 8/4/2022 at 3:09 PM, seanfingh said:

But some vigorous button humping got the job done.

Yup. On me. So what is good for the goose is good for gaggle. I'm just being up front about it.

:preach:

On 8/4/2022 at 12:11 PM, Bosco685 said:

Were you the one that got a personal message from the moderator to ignore some of these folks so as not to make it personal?

If not, think again. You are not clear what took place since yesterday. But thanks for your input. :cheers:

I feel like you're attacking my character.  Mike!  :baiting:

Anyone out there able to give an idea of just how much they would actually save from taxes?  I just struggle to wrap my head around the idea that cutting $90M in losses to recoup a fraction of that in the form of a tax reduction.  Any tax benefit would surely be a percentage of the $90M and obviously not the full $90M.

On 8/4/2022 at 3:17 PM, ExNihilo said:

Anyone out there able to give an idea of just how much they would actually save from taxes?  I just struggle to wrap my head around the idea that cutting $90M in losses to recoup a fraction of that in the form of a tax reduction.  Any tax benefit would surely be a percentage of the $90M and obviously not the full $90M.

But if just dropped to streaming (which was the plan), would it make them any money?  Who is signing up for HBO Max for Batgirl?  The tax write off is garenteed, and likely higher then provable streaming income.

Edited by drotto

On 8/4/2022 at 12:27 PM, drotto said:

But if just dropped to streaming (which was the plan), would it make them any money?  You is signing up for HBO Max for Batgirl.  The tax write off is garenteed, and likely higher then provable streaming income.

I know it's been stated before in this thread, but man, that's gotta be such a kick in the pants to have some executive in a suit completely can your project and publicly state that your work serves a greater benefit to the company as a tax write off than as the originally intended art.  (Emphasis on publicly to differentiate it from any untold truths that may have occurred behind the scenes as it relates to film quality and what not.)

On 8/4/2022 at 12:17 PM, ExNihilo said:

Well, the US corporate tax rate is 21 percent, so a $90 million loss on Batgirl's production should net them a tax savings of about $19 million.  The loss reduces taxable income (assuming they generate any).  I don't know if current tax provisions allow them to "carry over" some of the loss if they don't have net taxable income against which they can offset it.

On 8/4/2022 at 3:41 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Well, the US corporate tax rate is 21 percent, so a $90 million loss on Batgirl's production should net them a tax savings of about $19 million.  The loss reduces taxable income (assuming they generate any).  I don't know if current tax provisions allow them to "carry over" some of the loss if they don't have net taxable income against which they can offset it.

The tax code does allow for carry over for losses as far as I remeber.

On 8/4/2022 at 2:48 PM, Point Five said:

Yes.

"What’s risky about a $90 million Batgirl movie? Not every superhero movie needs to be a world-ending epic. According to accounts from the test screening, Batgirl was a low-stakes superhero origin story with style and strong performances, not unlike Batgirl screenwriter Christina Hodson’s Birds of Prey (2020).

If a Batgirl movie with Keaton was considered too big a risk for Warner Bros. Discovery, that doesn’t bode well for the previously announced “in development” projects like Black CanaryStaticHourmanPlastic Man and Zatanna. With Wonder Twins already canceled after the casting process, it seems that Zaslav has a lack of imagination when it comes to the variety of characters, tones and genres at his disposal.

Warner Bros. wants so badly to be where Marvel Studios is, but it lacks the patience and understanding of its characters to ever get there. It wants billion-dollar hits without making $300 million hits first. It wants all the marquee characters assembled without building up a world of supporting B- and C-level characters that audiences care about. It wants the easy money, which, should that thinking continue, will prove to be the death of the DCEU."

On 8/5/2022 at 5:48 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Yes.

"What’s risky about a $90 million Batgirl movie? Not every superhero movie needs to be a world-ending epic. According to accounts from the test screening, Batgirl was a low-stakes superhero origin story with style and strong performances, not unlike Batgirl screenwriter Christina Hodson’s Birds of Prey (2020).

If a Batgirl movie with Keaton was considered too big a risk for Warner Bros. Discovery, that doesn’t bode well for the previously announced “in development” projects like Black CanaryStaticHourmanPlastic Man and Zatanna. With Wonder Twins already canceled after the casting process, it seems that Zaslav has a lack of imagination when it comes to the variety of characters, tones and genres at his disposal.

Warner Bros. wants so badly to be where Marvel Studios is, but it lacks the patience and understanding of its characters to ever get there. It wants billion-dollar hits without making $300 million hits first. It wants all the marquee characters assembled without building up a world of supporting B- and C-level characters that audiences care about. It wants the easy money, which, should that thinking continue, will prove to be the death of the DCEU."

Don't you effin' touch Hourman. 

Edited by Cat

On 8/4/2022 at 3:48 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Yes.

I think Zaslav and Discovery want a complete reboot of the DCMU.  Any project started by the previous owners is going to be scrapped, and the new management is starting from scratch.  Aquaman, Shazam, and Black Adam are going forward because they are wither proven properties and/or attached to current A list talent. So they have a high likelyhood of making money.  They will be the last films with any conections with what came before (ok maybe WW3, but I think Flash may be a goner).

This is all about money, and he wants the studio to prove they are profitable and can make hits, before he allows them to be more creative and take more risks. You have to remember the original MCU films were more modest budget, and rather "safe". That is what he wants for now from DC.

On 8/4/2022 at 3:48 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Yes.

Most of that content was noise to distract from the earlier roadmap. Including the fake movie announcement Jason Momoa was going to star in a Frosty The Snowman live movie to distract from Ray Fischer posting about Walter Hamada. The good thing is not everyone has forgotten.

:roflmao: