• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BATGIRL starring Leslie Grace (2022?)
5 5

471 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2022 at 1:07 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Not for nothing, but Warner Bros. Discovery stock is up nearly 14% over the last 5 days.

The S&P 500 is up just 1.20% over the same time period.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems every time I see reports of layoffs, Wall Street always takes that as a good sign.  Either it's just coincidence that I happen to check only the companies in which there is a positive bump, or Wall Street likes to sees it as the first step towards returning to profitability.

On 8/4/2022 at 4:07 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Not for nothing, but Warner Bros. Discovery stock is up nearly 14% over the last 5 days.

The S&P 500 is up just 1.20% over the same time period.

The investors love Zaslov.  They see him as restructuring,  trimming the fat, and concentrating on a return to long term profitability.   They would rather see short term loses with the aim of shoring up long term gains.  To them, all these moves are needed.

Didn't realize that they also pulled Seth Rogan's American Pickle. 

Seems that they are pulling other direct to HBO Max movies... 

I had enjoyed it when I saw it.  It had its moments.  :( 

On 8/4/2022 at 7:06 PM, Bosco685 said:

Zaslov made it clear today he watched the movie, and he wants bigger theatrical focus. A victim of changing strategy.

Interesting change in strategy. Streaming is not the endless cash cow everyone said it was. Makes me wonder if streaming shows and content are proving to be very expensive (which we know), and are either not reliably driving profits on streaming services or are outright losing money.  Verses movie are still much more of a proven profit makers. Big specitcal movies are were the money is.  We have big name characters we are not using well.  He wants that fixed first.

This also explains all the superhero show cancellations.  They are expensive to make and on TV or streaming do not drive profits.

On 8/4/2022 at 5:30 PM, drotto said:

Interesting change in strategy. Streaming is not the endless cash cow everyone said it was. Makes me wonder if streaming shows and content are proving to be very expensive (which we know), and are either not reliably driving profits on streaming services or are outright losing money.  Verses movie are still much more of a proven profit makers. Big specitcal movies are were the money is.  We have big name characters we are not using well.  He wants that fixed first.

This also explains all the superhero show cancellations.  They are expensive to make and on TV or streaming do not drive profits.

Well, this is what I tried to explain to people about Disney+ a few years ago on an investing site I visit.  Under the "old" model, all these production companies/studios would license out their content to other providers like TBS or TNT or HBO or what-have-you.  So they had another revenue stream for all their content in addition to theater release, home video.  Now they've sacrificed part of that on-going revenue to make their content exclusive to their own streaming service and it's an open question whether this will work financially in the long term.  The good thing about streaming is that it's monthly, regular revenue, but may not replace the licensing revenue previously received. 

I recently received two surveys from Disney asking me how I felt about advertisements streaming on Disney+ and how much of a discount I was willing to take to put up with them.

When I signed up for Disney+ prior to launch I remember there was an opt in email to be included on future surveys.  I figured it would be interesting just to see what they would consider in the future. 

From what I am seeing, I do not think that given the saturation of premium streaming platforms that these streaming platforms are as lucrative as they thought they would be. 

I see more companies absorbing or merging with other platforms.  It's all about content and where the subscriptions go to. 

On 8/4/2022 at 9:06 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Well, this is what I tried to explain to people about Disney+ a few years ago on an investing site I visit.  Under the "old" model, all these production companies/studios would license out their content to other providers like TBS or TNT or HBO or what-have-you.  So they had another revenue stream for all their content in addition to theater release, home video.  Now they've sacrificed part of that on-going revenue to make their content exclusive to their own streaming service and it's an open question whether this will work financially in the long term.  The good thing about streaming is that it's monthly, regular revenue, but may not replace the licensing revenue previously received. 

Seen some more breakdown of what Zaslov said at this point.  Seems he wants to go to a more conservative broad based revenue model, instead of making all content being fast tracked into the streaming system. So instead of concentrating on just streaming, they can not neglect that there are multiple sources of revenue including, Cable, broadcast TV, Theaters, Hard Media (DVD), VOD, etc.  By concentrating too much on just releasing in theaters for whatever the release window is and then going immediately to a proprietary streaming service, they have been neglecting other viable revenue streams.  Sounds like he wants to delay content getting onto streaming to allow these properties to make money through those other areas before becoming available at no additional charge. 

Also confirmed HBO Max is merging with Discovery +.

Edited by drotto

On 8/4/2022 at 8:07 PM, drotto said:

Seen some more breakdown of what Zaslov said at this point.  Seems he wants to go to a more conservative broad based revenue model, instead of making all content being fast tracked into the streaming system. So instead of concentrating on just streaming, they can not neglect that there are multiple sources of revenue including, Cable, broadcast TV, Theaters, Hard Media (DVD), VOD, etc.  By concentrating too much on just releasing in theaters for whatever the release window is and then going immediately to a proprietary streaming service, they have been neglecting other viable revenue streams.  Sounds like he wants to delay content getting onto streaming to allow these properties to make money through those other areas before becoming available at no additional charge. 

And that kills the "exclusivity" argument for his streaming service.  I can see all this stuff as many times as I like on all these other services, some of which I get for "free" or at least at no easily identifiable incremental cost.  Heck, if it's on cable I can DVR it and have it permanently!  I don't need to pay for his streamer.  

It's a fine line they're all walking.  I do wonder when Netflix is going to license the first season of "Stranger Things" to cable :)

On 8/4/2022 at 11:15 PM, MattTheDuck said:

And that kills the "exclusivity" argument for his streaming service.  I can see all this stuff as many times as I like on all these other services, some of which I get for "free" or at least at no easily identifiable incremental cost.  Heck, if it's on cable I can DVR it and have it permanently!  I don't need to pay for his streamer.  

It's a fine line they're all walking.  I do wonder when Netflix is going to license the first season of "Stranger Things" to cable :)

Sounds like he is hoping people will be willing to pay multiple times for stuff (this is an old model), and you watching on those other services makes WB more money that you watching on their proprietary streaming service. Once it finally hits the streaming service, it may be exclusive there.  He also stated that this model was more for big tent pole type properties.  Other properties (I am assuming with a lower price tag) will be made exclusively as WB content.  Many of these were more the type of content Discovery is known for, cheap to make, but has a fanbase. For the big stuff, he was stressing quality over quantity. Clearly stating he would rather see less content that may cost more to make, but making sure those properties get all the money they need to succeed. He also seems to be casting doubt on the current model that content will drive people to streaming services to be long term steady subscribers. He does not seem to think these high cost streaming shows are driving revenue. 

I can see merit to his final argument.  Netflix has been producing quantity over quality (with some noted exceptions) for the past few years.  Their subscription base is shrinking rapidly, they are losing money, their stock is down, and they are now trying to course correct.

Edited by drotto

On 8/4/2022 at 8:29 PM, drotto said:

Sounds like he is hoping people will be willing to pay multiple times for stuff (this is an old model), and you watching on those other services makes WB more money that you watching on their proprietary streaming service. Once it finally hits the streaming service, it may be exclusive there.  He also stated that this model was more for big tent pole type properties.  Other properties (I am assuming with a lower price tag) will be made exclusively as WB content.  Many of these were more the type of content Discovery is known for, cheap to make, but has a fanbase. For the big stuff, he was stressing quality over quantity. Clearly stating he would rather see less content that may cost more to make, but making sure those properties get all the money they need to succeed. He also seems to be casting doubt on the current model that content will drive people to streaming services to be long term steady subscribers. He does not seem to think these high cost streaming shows are driving revenue. 

I can see merit to his final argument.  Netflix has been producing quantity over quality (with some noted exceptions) for the past few years.  Their subscription base is shrinking rapidly, they are losing money, their stock is down, and they are now trying to course correct.

utter nonsense, they lost <1mm subscribers in q2 off a base of 220+ million

image.thumb.png.20555676963b4a26d5a6d79715b76ec7.png

Edited by paperheart

On 8/4/2022 at 11:07 PM, drotto said:

Yup. If you check the Warner Streaming thread, some of the concept slides are posted.

But I am so confused how they assume HBO Max is male-skewed and Discovery Plus is female-skewed. And so if they merge them together, they capture it all.

It felt like someone was trying to build assumed logic to just admit all these separate streaming platforms is enough to drive you nuts as a consumer.

:canofworms:

On 8/5/2022 at 3:46 AM, Larryw7 said:

I got this from Toro's thread in CG. No more Gal? Black Adam is the start of a new DC universe?

FZWM7iLWQAEcLoo.jpeg

Not mentioned here, but the Green Lantern Corps show would also be dead, yes?

If he's willing to kill an expensive direct-to-streaming Batgirl film, logically there's zero chance he "wastes" Green Lantern (any of them) on the small screen.