• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BATGIRL starring Leslie Grace (2022?)
5 5

471 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2022 at 4:58 AM, Bosco685 said:

Yup. If you check the Warner Streaming thread, some of the concept slides are posted.

But I am so confused how they assume HBO Max is male-skewed and Discovery Plus is female-skewed. And so if they merge them together, they capture it all.

It felt like someone was trying to build assumed logic to just admit all these separate streaming platforms is enough to drive you nuts as a consumer.

:canofworms:

The merge is purely cost cutting.   In theory, running one service instead of two requires half the people. The other stuff is just cover.

I do see some of the logic in the demographic skew however.  HBO has hero shows, movies, etc.  Discover streams all the stuff from TLC, the various home channels, Licooking channels, etc which are more female oriented.

Edited by drotto

On 8/5/2022 at 9:33 AM, drotto said:

The merge is purely cost cutting.   In theory, running one service instead of two requires half the people. The other stuff is just cover.

I do see some of the logic in the demographic skew however.  HBO has hero shows, movies, etc.  Discover streams all the stuff from TLC, the various home channels, Licooking channels, etc which are more female oriented.

Do you watch HBO Max?

I wouldn't confuse chatting on a comic book forum which then focuses more on the superhero content to be the defacto content on a streaming service. Even the Flight Attendant thread covers a story not superhero based.

I love HBO Max as it sits right now, content-wise.  Part of that is that I get it free through AT&T wireless.  Also, the app is crap. 

All this talk of tentpole movie and delays through other channels before streaming, I came up with an idea. Maybe a popular movie can be released just in theaters at first?  Then, after people stop going to theaters to see it, it could be made available in a physical medium (IDK, maybe a digital, optically read disc of some kind) for short term rentals that enthusiasts could view in their own homes with a small machine.  Perhaps even make that medium available for purchase to people who want to watch it more than once or don't want to be constrained with a time limitation.  

We could call it 

Spoiler

15 Fast-Forward Facts About Blockbuster Video | Mental Floss

One last opportunity might be to have a service available via a subscription, that after a movie has been in the theaters and following a time only available via rental/purchase, these movies could be broadcast to subscriber.  We could call it

Spoiler

Original HBO logo | Hbo logo, Retro tv, Old logos

Batgirl is getting some support and sympathy from heavy-hitting Hollywood talents.

Co-director Adil El Arbi revealed on Instagram that Marvel chief Kevin Feige, Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn and Baby Driver director Edgar Wright are among those who have reached out about the $90 million project, which was shockingly shelved by Warner Bros. as a tax write-off after being filmed.

El Arbi quoted Feige’s email to himself and co-director Bilall Fallah: “My friends, I had to reach and let you know we are all thinking about you both. Because of the wonderful news about the wedding (congrats!) and the disappointing news about Batgirl. Very proud of you guys and all the amazing work you do and particularly Ms. Marvel of course! Can’t wait to see what is next for you. Hope to see you soon.”

Arbi added: “Thanks for all the messages of support all over the world. Shout out directors Edgar Wright and James Gunn, your kind words and experience mean a lot and help us through this difficult period #batgirlforlife.”

This was really a move that is only going to further damage the studio brand.

On 8/5/2022 at 1:27 PM, kimik said:

Why is Hamada still there until October? WTF. If he is gonzo, then do it now instead of dragging it out.

Probably terms in his contract concerning any golden parachute clause and if he leaves on his own early he gets a reduced (or nothing) payout.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:34 AM, Bosco685 said:

Probably terms in his contract concerning any golden parachute clause and if he leaves on his own early he gets a reduced (or nothing) payout.

Agreed, but if they have neutered him already then they have his replacement already lined up. They would be better served showing that they have a leader for the 10 year plan in place now after the Q2 report.

I can't help but wonder now if the long term outcome will be for Zaslav to repackage HBO/WB for someone else to buy and clear any DISC debt off the books along with WB/HBO properties and debt. The new entity does not appear to have the financial means to cover content generation going forward, and the debt load is a long term issue.

Edited by kimik

On 8/5/2022 at 3:33 AM, drotto said:

They're merging HBO and Discover because they are realize they are losing the streaming war. HBO went all out in putting original content, but they have no idea how to create an overarching narrative, much less a long term plan. Disney knew this, mapped it out from the start and had the right guy in place to execute it. In a way, they have that in their Star Wars universe as well, as it seems like Favreau/ Filoni have that role. 

There's probably more consolidation to come. Consumers won't subscribe to more than a few streaming services. I myself have Netflix, Disney, Hulu and Prime. I had HBO for one month to watch Swamp Thing, so really didn't even pay for that, since it was the free introductory month. If you can't get a die hard comics fan to subscribe to HBO Max, how do you expect everyday joe blow to pay up? 

I predict they'll blow up their 10 year plan in year 6 or 7. They'll probably try to tweak it along the way, but they'll have to concede and blow it up and start all over again. Ad infititum. I hope DC/ Warner/ Discover proves me wrong. But I woudn't bet on it. 

On 8/5/2022 at 10:57 PM, Lpgk said:

I predict they'll blow up their 10 year plan in year 6 or 7. They'll probably try to tweak it along the way, but they'll have to concede and blow it up and start all over again. Ad infititum. I hope DC/ Warner/ Discover proves me wrong. But I woudn't bet on it. 

Let's see. With Zaslov:

1. Bringing in Alan Horn as a seasoned and very successful franchise advisor.
  2. Establishing DC Studios as a standalone division separate from WB Studios.
  3. Designating a yet TBD DC President leading it all instead of a mixed studio + comic book guy arrangement (Geoff Johns + WB exec).

This would be a drastic shift not done previously. Even Walter Hamada as DC President still reports to WB Studios. Not a direct report to Kilar previously. So these would be vastly different changes.

Time will tell.

Umberto Gonzalez (The Wrap editor) and Erik Davis (Fandango & Rotten Tomatoes) reviewed reality of all the details they know directly from sources in WB Studios.

DC Films: What Happened And What's Happening Next

1. There was only one (1) test screening of Batgirl - which was a 2.5 hours rough cut for studio execs to review with no touch-ups or VFX. It had only been given 10 weeks to piece this together, which was not common or fair.
  2. Many people are posting they attended the test screening and it was trash so as to encourage WB-D to go in a different direction. But they definitely did not attend.
  3. Zaslov was turned off to begin with because it was based on Kilar's straight-to-streaming plan so going in he was expecting to cancel the film.
  4. It's true that Walter Hamada was at this test screening, and was informed it was going to be a tax write-off so not released. Which was a surprise this early in production.
  5. The constant changing of hands at the top exec level has been the cancer killing any strategy leading to second-guessing plans.
  6. This has never been done previously. Which is why so many are shocked in the industry. And it had nothing to do with quality.
  7. To avoid any IP leaks, they are moving fast to cut off any leaks 
  8. Blue Beetle just wrapped. But it cost much more than Batgirl to make it theatrical out of the gate. Which is what Zaslov is more sensitive to. And even the leaked suit was extremely positive for the film.
  9. With the industry backlog for VFX, it would be extreme for Shazam 2, Black Adam and Aquaman 2 to move. And especially with Black Adam, Dwayne Johnson would have to agree which WB-D is sensitive about.
  10. The Flash has tested very positive. But most probably with no Ezra Miller involvement. Zaslov is excited about this one too.

On 8/6/2022 at 7:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

Umberto Gonzalez (The Wrap editor) and Erik Davis (Fandango & Rotten Tomatoes) reviewed reality of all the details they know directly from sources in WB Studios.

DC Films: What Happened And What's Happening Next

1. There was only one (1) test screening of Batgirl - which was a 2.5 hours rough cut for studio execs to review with no touch-ups or VFX. It had only been given 10 weeks to piece this together, which was not common or fair.
  2. Many people are posting they attended the test screening and it was trash so as to encourage WB-D to go in a different direction. But they definitely did not attend.
  3. Zaslov was turned off to begin with because it was based on Kilar's straight-to-streaming plan so going in he was expecting to cancel the film.
  4. It's true that Walter Hamada was at this test screening, and was informed it was going to be a tax write-off so not released. Which was a surprise this early in production.
  5. The constant changing of hands at the top exec level has been the cancer killing any strategy leading to second-guessing plans.
  6. This has never been done previously. Which is why so many are shocked in the industry. And it had nothing to do with quality.
  7. To avoid any IP leaks, they are moving fast to cut off any leaks 
  8. Blue Beetle just wrapped. But it cost much more than Batgirl to make it theatrical out of the gate. Which is what Zaslov is more sensitive to. And even the leaked suit was extremely positive for the film.
  9. With the industry backlog for VFX, it would be extreme for Shazam 2, Black Adam and Aquaman 2 to move. And especially with Black Adam, Dwayne Johnson would have to agree which WB-D is sensitive about.
  10. The Flash has tested very positive. But most probably with no Ezra Miller involvement. Zaslov is excited about this one too.

For those wondering why they might focus in on Black Adam as an antagonist to center a new JLA around it really is quite simple.

Dwayne Johnson.

People can say what they want.  Say you are sick of him.  Say whatever you want.

His movies have been money.

On 8/6/2022 at 7:48 PM, Buzzetta said:

For those wondering why they might focus in on Black Adam as an antagonist to center a new JLA around it really is quite simple.

Dwayne Johnson.

People can say what they want.  Say you are sick of him.  Say whatever you want.

His movies have been money.

He is a bankable star. Black Adam is s decent villain to center the reboot around, and it is already rumored Black Adam 2 will serve as the launching point for the new Superman.  Black Adam and Shazam also benefit from the fact that in feel, and marketing, they do not have a strong connection to the past DCEU (especially the Snyderverse).  They can easily be seen as their own thing.

On 8/8/2022 at 3:49 PM, Bosco685 said:

That looks like a down in the streets fight like a DC version of Daredevil or Luke Cage. Why the heck would they not release this??

I don't know.

On 8/8/2022 at 4:49 PM, Bosco685 said:

Why the heck would they not release this??

Simple: This Batgirl movie doesn't fit their plan going forward.

If it didn't have Keaton and/or other 'multiverse' characters, I could understand releasing it as a standalone, much like The Batman. That isn't the case, though.