• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BATGIRL starring Leslie Grace (2022?)
5 5

471 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2022 at 4:11 PM, Bosco685 said:

See above. A real industry reporter with real insider information.

It really is interesting that you prefer to cling to what is so obviously nothing more than studio spin, rather than simply accepting that the duck is a duck.

Oh well, no feathers off my back.  

-J.

I know this is already stated in this thread.  But for anybody who doesn't want to read through pages and pages of posts...the answer to why Batgirl was canceled all summed up in a nice little video...

***Hint...it wasn't because of "woke" culture

On 8/3/2022 at 7:10 PM, Bosco685 said:

The Hollywood Reporter on what went down.

They are much more plugged in than any of us.

This was the part that really stuck out for me and makes it clear it was far more at play than just dumping a bad movie which would damage a brand.

When a very early version of the [Batgirl] film test screened, with temp VFX and score, it landed a score in the low 60s and is believed to have only tested once. Film producers and executives have long noted that test screenings are best used to determine whether audiences are engaged or disengaged during certain parts of the film, not as a final judgment call on a movie. For example, horror films that end up doing well have been known to test in the 60s. Batgirl’s test score, which was for a director’s cut, is comparable to scores for the first It (2017), which wound up grossing $700.3 million globally, as well as an early score for the upcoming Shazam! Fury of the Gods. Both of those films tested in the 60s.

Is anyone really going to lose sleep over not seeing the Batgirl movie?

Did anyone expect excellence from a woman who's career totals 1 film role and 8 MTV dancing roles?

Or 2 directors with 3 films between them (and a load of........MTV video clips) - the biggest question is how on earth JK Simmons, Brendon Fraser and Michael Keaton were dragged into this?

Out of all the peeps getting their panties in a wad - why?

Y'all subscribe to HBO or something just to see it?

If you DO want to see it - apparently a French dubbed version was released in Canada on a tiny run (according to IMDB) - so it must be out there somewhere. (shrug)

On 8/3/2022 at 11:00 AM, rexinnih said:

Dang, wasn't even aware of this one. Guess that was also part of the problem. 

You and me both.  Pretty sure I was aware of it at some point, but it had completely fallen off my radar until they announced the cancellation.

I see the posts about the tax write off, but what are the chances this all some weird ploy to build a following on social media to #FreeBatgirl or some such?  It worked for the Snyder Cut.  Would it be past WB to try some guerrilla marketing that costs them nothing to take back to the execs to show there's demand for the product?

Like I said, I know nothing about the film, but reading the last few pages of this thread, it sounds like it might have been better as a big budget series on a streaming service.

To the commenters discussing the budget, I agree that street level characters should be approached with a more modest budget.  I think having big budgets hampers creativity because it's almost like a cheat.  "Oh, we'll add that in post production."  The external fight in Shang Chi where he fights on the scaffolding relied on CG too much.  20 years ago, Jackie Chan would have done the same stunts using practical effects.  There's no need for Batgirl to have a huge CG budget.  Just simple, visceral, hand to hand, foot to face combat sequences.  Giving films $250M budgets and then asking them to all make over $800M seems like an unreasonable measure of success.

Also, how is this person feeling right about now?

image.thumb.png.a8c1cd4238236cd39f720b1d05e104d2.png

On 8/4/2022 at 12:46 PM, WolverineX said:

Time to pick up a Tec359!!!  @Comics4All

Yeah. The prices on Detective comics 359, the first appearance of Batgirl should decrease significantly. I saw so many YouTuber comic speculator videos which included picking up a copy of it

On 8/4/2022 at 5:42 AM, Beige said:

IDid anyone expect excellence from a woman who's career totals 1 film role and 8 MTV dancing roles?

Was In the Heights even out when they cast Leslie Grace?

On 8/4/2022 at 7:02 AM, ExNihilo said:

To the commenters discussing the budget, I agree that street level characters should be approached with a more modest budget.  I think having big budgets hampers creativity because it's almost like a cheat.  "Oh, we'll add that in post production."  The external fight in Shang Chi where he fights on the scaffolding relied on CG too much.  20 years ago, Jackie Chan would have done the same stunts using practical effects.  There's no need for Batgirl to have a huge CG budget.  Just simple, visceral, hand to hand, foot to face combat sequences.  Giving films $250M budgets and then asking them to all make over $800M seems like an unreasonable measure of success.

Well even if you're lead is martial arts master who has balls of Johnny Knoxville the studio will say NO to that risk of lead actor to get injured which delays the production of X months.

On 8/4/2022 at 5:31 AM, godzilla43 said:

I think it is more realistic if they are asked to remove Batgirl from their IMDb profiles.

Probably. As otherwise their performances and contributions are relegated to individuals proclaiming it was definitely bad - it got cancelled. They know better.

On 8/4/2022 at 6:33 AM, Bosco685 said:

Probably. As otherwise their performances and contributions are relegated to individuals proclaiming it was definitely bad - it got cancelled. They know better.

Occam's Razor. You don't invest $70 million - then an additional $20 million - in a project only to suddenly shelve it for the tax write-off.

They knew it was bad so they canned it.

And yet you blindly persist in pushing the studio line - which (as you know) is simply propaganda - spin meant to appease shareholders and not spook Wall Street.

I know it's futile to disagree with someone who singlehandedly posts 20%+ of the posts in the thread, but just because you keep repeating the studio wildly_fanciful_statement doesn't make it true.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:36 PM, Jaydogrules said:

It really is interesting that you prefer to cling to what is so obviously nothing more than studio spin, rather than simply accepting that the duck is a duck.

I agree with you on almost nothing, but you're correct here.

On 8/4/2022 at 7:04 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Occam's Razor. You don't invest $70 million - then an additional $20 million - in a project only to suddenly shelve it for the tax write-off.

They knew it was bad so they canned it.

And yet you blindly persist in pushing the studio line - which (as you know) is simply propaganda - spin meant to appease shareholders and not spook Wall Street.

I know it's futile to disagree with someone who singlehandedly posts 20%+ of the posts in the thread, but just because you keep repeating the studio wildly_fanciful_statement doesn't make it true.

Sounds like you are making this a personal topic. @CGC Mike had asked that it not go there.

But let's be honest, Mr. Occam's Razor. Those repeating over and over it must have been bad also are attempting to make their beliefs true too, no matter what articles and experts state. Or did you miss that reverse situation?