• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BATGIRL starring Leslie Grace (2022?)
5 5

471 posts in this topic

I don't think that any solo Batfamily films would work in a movie universe that doesn't even have a solo Batman film. Perhaps new management thinks the same.

If Batfamily members showed up to Bruce Wayne's funeral after he sacrifices his life to save Lois Lane, I'd be compelled to follow their stories. Following them as estranged children after his most heroic sacrifice would be interesting.

On 8/3/2022 at 12:40 PM, AndyFish said:

Is it better to release it, lose money, get swamped with bad PR and destroy the Batgirl name?   There's a reason there has never been a 2nd Howard the Duck movie despite it being a good character.

This.

They can say whatever they want...but you don't scrap a $90 million film that's already had re-shoots unless it's *truly* bad.

I don't buy the "big budget blockbuster" only excuse.

Sure...spending $75 million on a Wonder Twins movie is dumb.

But even Birds of Prey was comparably budgeted to Batgirl - and got a theatrical release during the pandemic, despite being...(ahem!) not good.

I'd rather live in a world with all sorts of superhero films - big, small, truly weird, etc.

This was also my gripe with the Star Wars films -- Solo was a good movie, just not an epic one.

To have made these one-off Star Wars films work, however, required that Disney be okay with occasional $400 million grosses rather than purely $900 million+ ones - and to budget accordingly ($75-$90 million vs. $175-$250 million).

I guess it worked out in the end, because instead of Kenobi and Boba Fett films, we got expanded treatments on streaming.

I don't see why we can't see occasional $75 million superhero films. If anything, it will force the writing to be tighter - and better. See Deadpool.

Reading even further between the lines of the lines, I would guess that the specific reference to "big theatrical event films" is their way of trying to get out in front of the criticism they anticipated receiving re: the Flash movie.  

On 8/3/2022 at 1:57 PM, Axelrod said:

Reading even further between the lines of the lines, I would guess that the specific reference to "big theatrical event films" is their way of trying to get out in front of the criticism they anticipated receiving re: the Flash movie.  

Do not think there is much to read between here.  The new CEO is on a cost cutting frenzy.  He has cut shows, movies, staff, etc. Remember HBO Max is also going away and is getting folded into Discovery +.  The Arrow verse has essentially been axed, with Flash being cancelled, along with several other shows recently. He is about returning to profit and the business of making money.  If anything looks like a loser, or has little upside, he has been getting rid of it. This just takes it to the next level, and I think it is a warning shot to creators to do better, and keep their mouths shut. This means nothing is safe, not even a product deep into production. 

Yes, they do not say this (fine reading between the lines), but it clearly sends that message.

Edited by drotto

On 8/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, darkstar said:

It is pretty easy to recognize a statement that was filtered through a PR department. And yes they do have to give reasons for things like this because they are publicly traded. You got bad news? You soften the blow. Movie was terrible? No, it just doesn't align with our vision moving forward. It is nonsense to avoid throwing anyone under the bus. Yeah they'll be working with the Batgirl again creators in the future, right. :eyeroll:

Unfortunately, no matter what is published, some will take the stance of knowing what the secret tea leaves are conveying. And it is usually those that feel DC is not mirroring the MCU - so it must be bad.

:eyeroll:

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/3/2022 at 1:50 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Sure...spending $75 million on a Wonder Twins movie is dumb.

It was being made as a comedy production. So naturally they pulled some of the goofiest characters out to rag on the superhero genre.

Whether it was going to be good or not, they never even got to finalizing a -script.

On 8/3/2022 at 9:36 AM, Bosco685 said:

This image of the comments be posted on Leslie Grace's Instagram account are extremely cruel. Not sure how many puppies she kicked to deserve this.

Batgirl_Leslie_Instagram.thumb.jpg.48fda93ae1dffcffaea9987a5bca5bf8.jpg

Unfortunately, social media platforms do not require a maturity and age validation before active sign-up.

People are crap.

On 8/3/2022 at 2:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

It was being made as a comedy production. So naturally they pulled some of the goofiest characters out to rag on the superhero genre.

Whether it was going to be good or not, they never even got to finalizing a --script.

What I said:

Spending $75 million on a Wonder Twins movie is dumb. And I says that despite liking the two principal actors cast.

Ditto $75 million on say...a Damage Control movie. Don't care if you get Will Ferrell to headline - still dumb.

On 8/3/2022 at 2:44 PM, Gatsby77 said:

What I said:

Spending $75 million on a Wonder Twins movie is dumb. And I says that despite liking the two principal actors cast.

Ditto $75 million on say...a Damage Control movie. Don't care if you get Will Ferrell to headline - still dumb.

Hard to say. No -script, so therefore no idea if it was going to be funny or not.

Was the MCU making Damage Control into a comedy as well??

On 8/3/2022 at 1:30 PM, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately, no matter what is published, some will take the stance of knowing what the secret tea leaves are conveying. And it is usually those that feel DC is not mirroring the MCU - so it must be bad.

:eyeroll:

The MCU has been awful for awhile. The statement that was released regarding the Batgirl movie is PC corporate nonsense, nothing secretive about it. No different than when you get turned down for a promotion or your proposal doesn't pass review - it's "we're moving in a different direction" and not "you suck, this sucks, gtfo". How is it that someone who spends so much time following this stuff fails to realize how carefully words are chosen when they are meant for public consumption? If the studio projected Batgirl to be profitable they would have released it, it's that simple. Whether they released it in theaters or not, whether it went straight to streaming or not, has zero impact on their ability to only release theater-worthy tentpole spectacle films going forward. Getting fired while at your wedding is a pretty clear indication that your employer isn't satisfied with your work product. :roflmao:   

On 8/3/2022 at 3:10 PM, darkstar said:

Getting fired while at your wedding is a pretty clear indication that your employer isn't satisfied with your work product. :roflmao:   

Do you realize how callous a statement (with :roflmao: as icing on the cake) this comes across?

These are comic book productions. Not war crimes. Why is it funny someone's work gets cancelled like that?

Basically what this cancellation drives home is as far as studios are concerned mid-budget movies, especially true for ones with VFX heavy superheroes, are dead. They're too cheap to put in theaters and invest the needed costs for proper marketing, and too expensive to put on streaming.  

It's just a go-big-or-go-home mentality now, which is a shame because so many superhero movies (arguably especially DC ones like Batgirl) would benefit from just aiming for this budget range and sticking with it (though I imagine much of the push back would also be from fans, as if you release one that looks 'worse' than another everyone is just all over it socially on its 'cheap' look before it can even get off the ground and tell a decent story). 

On 8/3/2022 at 12:10 PM, darkstar said:

The MCU has been awful for awhile. The statement that was released regarding the Batgirl movie is PC corporate nonsense, nothing secretive about it. No different than when you get turned down for a promotion or your proposal doesn't pass review - it's "we're moving in a different direction" and not "you suck, this sucks, gtfo". How is it that someone who spends so much time following this stuff fails to realize how carefully words are chosen when they are meant for public consumption? If the studio projected Batgirl to be profitable they would have released it, it's that simple. Whether they released it in theaters or not, whether it went straight to streaming or not, has zero impact on their ability to only release theater-worthy tentpole spectacle films going forward. Getting fired while at your wedding is a pretty clear indication that your employer isn't satisfied with your work product. :roflmao:   

I'm now reading that the movie was in fact test screened and was judged to be so awful that it was "irredeemable" and thus, the decision made to not continue throwing good money after "irredeemably" bad money.  

@Bosco685 Everybody involved with this unmitigated disaster has already been paid, the only.one losing any money here is the big bad studio, so never fear.

-J.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:23 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I'm now reading that the movie was in fact test screened and was judged to be so awful that it was "irredeemable" and thus, the decision made to not continue throwing good money after "irredeemably" bad money.  

@Bosco685 Everybody involved with this unmitigated disaster has already been paid, the only.one losing any money here is the big bad studio, so never fear.

-J.

An actual insider that engages on test screenings with the studios.

On 8/3/2022 at 2:53 PM, Bosco685 said:

Was the MCU making Damage Control into a comedy as well??

I don't recall.

But it'd pretty much have to be, given that the original comic was comedic - total satire.