• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Falling Sales
6 6

1,203 posts in this topic

The bottom line is $3.99 is a terrible price for a monthly comic book compared to Comixology Unlimited at $4.99 a month or Netflix for $9.99 a month. 

BTW, Comixology Unlimited now has Marvel, so this game is changing fast.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

21 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The bottom line is $3.99 is a terrible price for a monthly comic book compared to Comixology Unlimited at $4.99 a month or Netflix for $9.99 a month. 

BTW, Comixology Unlimited now has Marvel, so this game is changing fast.

It's absolutely true. Once I got Marvel Unlimited, I stopped buying Marvel books, because there's only about a 3 month delay between release and the time it is added to the app, and honestly I run 6 to 12 months behind on my reading anyway, so I don't care about reading it right away. It's a terrific bargain.

12 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

It's absolutely true. Once I got Marvel Unlimited, I stopped buying Marvel books, because there's only about a 3 month delay between release and the time it is added to the app, and honestly I run 6 to 12 months behind on my reading anyway, so I don't care about reading it right away. It's a terrific bargain.

Exactly. You get way more bang for your buck with Marvel Unlimited,Comixology Unlimited and Netflix for entertainment.

The other day in an LCS I bought 3 modern comics for about $12 and I felt ripped-off,as that would have been a whole month of Netflix or Marvel Unlimited!

5 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Exactly. You get way more bang for your buck with Marvel Unlimited,Comixology Unlimited and Netflix for entertainment.

The other day in an LCS I bought 3 modern comics for about $12 and I felt ripped-off,as that would have been a whole month of Netflix or Marvel Unlimited!

And it doesn't help anything that for $12, you probably got 3 books that were printed on recycled garbage paper, the crumple the instant you touch them. Marvel is using some really shoddy stuff these days.

5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

And it doesn't help anything that for $12, you probably got 3 books that were printed on recycled garbage paper, the crumple the instant you touch them. Marvel is using some really shoddy stuff these days.

Now we add this to the $3.99 comic book's competition.

Microsoft's Ambitious Netflix-Like Xbox Game Pass.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2017/05/24/you-can-try-microsofts-ambitious-netflix-like-xbox-game-pass-right-now/#4249ed214249

The game pass will cost $9.99 a month for access to more than 100 Xbox One and Xbox 360 games. There's a full list over on the Game Pass website, but the offerings run the gamut from blockbusters like the Bioshock and Gears of War series to mid-tier games and a wide selection of smaller titles. Titles will rotate monthly.

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

It's way to long - can you give me a summary of the conclusions?  I skimmed and think he blames constant reboots for Marvel's issues but I may have missed something in the body of the text.

Edited 8 hours ago by 1Cool

lol I read it in 5 minutes. Great article. Very insightful.

Edited by fastballspecial

17 hours ago, F For Fake said:

From what I recall of moderns from the books I was buying up until I quit in 2010, a lot of product arrives at the LCS already in a pre-crumpled state, with internal crushed or crumpled areas being quite common on the thin, crappy-quality paper used.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

From what I recall of moderns from the books I was buying up until I quit in 2010, a lot of product arrives at the LCS already in a pre-crumpled state, with internal crushed or crumpled areas being quite common on the thin, crappy-quality paper used.

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. Image, IDW and some of the other indie houses use nice, thicker stock, but Marvel is printing the stuff on tissue paper these days.

On 5/24/2017 at 2:15 PM, 1Cool said:

It's way to long - can you give me a summary of the conclusions?  I skimmed and think he blames constant reboots for Marvel's issues but I may have missed something in the body of the text.

Sure, here you go:

When artist Bill Sienkiewicz — whom Boone calls “one of the most amazing comic book artists ever”

:roflmao:

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:
5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. Image, IDW and some of the other indie houses use nice, thicker stock, but Marvel is printing the stuff on tissue paper these days.

I prefer Image for all my toilet paper needs.  I notice the high school across the street uses Marvel.

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I prefer Image for all my toilet paper needs.  I notice the high school across the street uses Marvel.

I use treasury editions. Get your jokes in now ?

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Yup.

Image = quilted, 3-ply, aloe vera, luxury quality

Marvel = cheapest, roughest, school / prison grade

IDW is pretty comfortable as well, I've found.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Sure, here you go:

When artist Bill Sienkiewicz — whom Boone calls “one of the most amazing comic book artists ever”

:roflmao:

48 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

(shrug)

Inside joke with 1Cool.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Inside joke with 1Cool.

I seriously hate Bill's art.  Didn't like it back then and it's only gotten worse over time.  

:bump:

Sales continue to plummet! Readers are not coming back for some reason?

25% Less Spent On Comics In August 2017 Than In August 2016 As Direct Market Sales Fall Off A Cliff.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/09/08/less-spent-comics-2016-market-sales/

Diamond has released their sales statistics for August 2017 for products sold in the North American direct market. And it makes a worrying read.

August was a five-Wednesday month. Five weeks of new product rather than four. Usually that means the dollars spent on comics and graphic novels for that month is around 20% higher than a four-week month. But August was only up 10% on July, which is not good. And from August 2016, also a five-week month? Down 25% — that’s a whole quarter less spent on comics in the direct market in a comparable timeframe.

This is a game-changing drop; sales have fallen over a cliff.

34 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Todays youth are too busy looking at their phones

what blows me away is how riveted they are.  Hey look I've done instant messaging on facebook-exactly the same as texting-but never had a conversation so riveting I ignored everything around me-ALL DAY LONG.  I don't gettit.