• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Falling Sales
6 6

1,203 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

So, Moore hasn't benefitted from having good artists work with him? ;)

No, I have never seen one of his scripts.

You should look at one of his scripts. He scripts out everything but also encourages the artist to take different perspectives as the artist sees fit. There is a reason he is the best comic writer and part of that is he is a collaborator first and foremost.

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

You should look at one of his scripts. He scripts out everything but also encourages the artist to take different perspectives as the artist sees fit. There is a reason he is the best comic writer and part of that is he is a collaborator first and foremost.

:sick: no thank you.

I'll agree to disagree on the "best comic writer" part.

20 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

:sick: no thank you.

I'll agree to disagree on the "best comic writer" part.

Did you ever read any of his superhero stuff? Besides, Killing Joke, which I'm not particularly a fan of myself, but his "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" in Superman Annual #11 is a wonderful story, and you can tell he pulls from his love of the classic character.

I certainly wouldn't call him the best superhero writer in comics... not even sure who THAT would be... Mark Waid?... but that single issue of that Superman Annual is a great story.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

... I certainly wouldn't call him the best superhero writer in comics... not even sure who THAT would be... Mark Waid?...

Mark Waid's one of the best. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Did you ever read any of his superhero stuff? Besides, Killing Joke, which I'm not particularly a fan of myself, but his "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" in Superman Annual #11 is a wonderful story, and you can tell he pulls from his love of the classic character.

I certainly wouldn't call him the best superhero writer in comics... not even sure who THAT would be... Mark Waid?... but that single issue of that Superman Annual is a great story.

Writing nostalgia without being nostalgic is a way I've heard Moore described. I find it very appropriate.

Edited by Logan510

2 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Mark Waid's Captain America run before Heroes Reborn is among my favorite runs. The Flash with Wally and Linda Park is incredible as well.

Alan Moore can do some amazing things. Tomorrow Stories has a Greyshirt story, 8 pager, that reads front to back, back to front, top to bottom, or bottom to top. Masterful. Jack B quick in there was tremendous as well. His Tom Strong was also an homage to classic Superman but not different than his stuff for Rob Liefeld's Supreme, which was also basically Superman. Very well done (the Supreme dog does what you always wanted Krypto to do, protect his master like a furious beast.)

4 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Writing nostalgia without being nostalgiac is a way I've heard Moore described. I find it very appropriate.

I'd agree with that in the sense that he makes it seem fresh. He certainly seems to have an affinity for comics and their past. Maybe I like that stuff, James Robinson's Starman was new and old at the same time as well and that is my favorite super hero comic ever I think.

many of Alan Moore's comics, not all of them, make you feel at home while reading them. Opening it is visiting an old friend, even if you have never met him before.

Edited by Bird
added 2nd part

7 minutes ago, Bird said:

Mark Waid's Captain America run before Heroes Reborn is among my favorite runs. The Flash with Wally and Linda Park is incredible as well.

I concur. Also, his Daredevil run with Chris Samnee is excellent. I also enjoyed his FF work.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I don't think so in this instance. It's the one superhero story of his I can honestly say I love.

I'm not really surprised by that.

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

I'd agree with that in the sense that he makes it seem fresh. He certainly seems to have an affinity for comics and their past. Maybe I like that stuff, James Robinson's Starman was new and old at the same time as well and that is my favorite super hero comic ever I think.

many of Alan Moore's comics, not all of them, make you feel at home while reading them. Opening it is visiting an old friend, even if you have never met him before.

I don't think it was meant as a compliment, as a matter of fact I'm 100% sure it was not.

I don't like his work in general and I find his superhero work to be awful.

This is why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors :foryou:

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

i concur. Also, his Daredevil run with Chris Samnee is excellent.

I think Mark Waid is the Cal Ripken Jr. of comics... not flashy, not a showoff, not necessarily spectacular, but solid, steady and there for every game over a long period of time.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I think Mark Waid is the Cal Ripken Jr. of comics... not flashy, not a showoff, not necessarily spectacular, but solid, steady and there for every game over a long period of time.

hm

Being British and a nerd with little interest in sports, I would guess that's an American Football or Baseball reference?

Edited by Ken Aldred

Aside from Watchmen, Miracleman and Top ten I find Alan Moore's stuff to be annoying.  It's 'look how clever I am' stuff.

Even Watchmen he should have discarded all that pirate nonsense.  He was trying to be clever.

Edited by kav

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I don't think it was meant as a compliment, as a matter of fact I'm 100% sure it was not.

I don't like his work in general and I find his superhero work to be awful.

This is why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors :foryou:

I wasn't a big fan of his Wildcats run... his Supreme was critically received, but I just never got into it... REALLY liked his couple of issues of YOUNGBLOOD before Extreme Studios went belly up... and his Tom Strong America's Best Comics line was AWESOME.

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

I wasn't a big fan of his Wildcats run... his Supreme was critically received, but I just never got into it... REALLY liked his couple of issues of YOUNGBLOOD before Extreme Studios went belly up... and his Tom Strong America's Best Comics line was AWESOME.

Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but i'd never know ;)

I've read enough of his superhero work to know it is not my cup of tea.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Aside from Watchmen, Miracleman and Top ten I find Alan Moore's stuff to be annoying.  It's 'look how clever I am' stuff.

Even Watchmen he should have discarded all that pirate nonsense.  He was trying to be clever.

Out of those 3 I've only read Watchmen..and I bet you can guess what I thought of it lol

9 minutes ago, kav said:

It was supposed to have some symbolism, as in Moby ,  I believe?   I found it boring and forgettable.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

hm

Being British and a nerd with little interest in sports, I would guess that's an American Football or Baseball reference?

LOL, yes... I actually googled to see if I could find out who the English football (soccer to us) equivalent of that would be, but to no luck....

Ripken set the record for most consecutive games played at 2632 games, beating the old record by almost 500 games. The next in line to catch him would be... well there really isn't anyone, and it would take them 16+ years if they started right now....