• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Falling Sales
6 6

1,203 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Politics. Reported. 

SJW button humping-reported.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:59 PM, batman_fan said:

I know my reasons for stopping purchasing new comics are:

1.  Too many re-boots, just can't keep up with it anymore.  Maybe that would be different if some of my other reasons didn't exist.

2.  Don't care for the artwork.  I find most of the modern books to have unappealing artwork versus my personal taste.

3.  Stories aren't interesting to me

4.  Cost,  I would rather buy an older book versus 4 to 5 new books

And if it is a good story you want to read but not collect, digital FTW.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

They should have just called her Iron Woman or Iron Girl. Why they call her Iron Man I don't know?

So the Marvel Implosion! Good job that Editor in Chief  Alex Alonso did. I am pretty sure his days as editor in chief of Marvel are numbered.

Here is a question... How much of this is purely Marvel and how much of this is the parent corporation of Disney affecting some of these choices in diversifying the characters as a business strategem.   Clearly, Marvel and/or Disney see it as a way to expand readership outside of the traditional white male readership category.

This thread is at 47 pages and I just hopped on so sorry if this point has been made already regarding falling sales - new Marvel books (for the most part) cost $1.00 more than DC books -$3.99 vs $2.99. I'm mostly a Marvel guy but I have dropped a few Marvels recently because of this. Anyone know why Marvel books are so much more? I would think pricing books on par with DC would potentially increase sales.

7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

At least Joe Q treated the Fantastic Four and X-Men quite decent, under Alonso's watch they got buried. 

X-Men have a huge new roll out of titles going on right now, X-Men Blue, X-Men Gold, etc....

And to be fair, I don't think he had much choice in the FF situation...

Edited by Chuck Gower

4 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

Here is a question... How much of this is purely Marvel and how much of this is the parent corporation of Disney affecting some of these choices in diversifying the characters as a business strategem.   Clearly, Marvel and/or Disney see it as a way to expand readership outside of the traditional white male readership category.

It's very possible. When talking about future film projects in particular, having something to market to the world would be right up Disney's alley.

4 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

This thread is at 47 pages and I just hopped on so sorry if this point has been made already regarding falling sales - new Marvel books (for the most part) cost $1.00 more than DC books -$3.99 vs $2.99. I'm mostly a Marvel guy but I have dropped a few Marvels recently because of this. Anyone know why Marvel books are so much more? I would think pricing books on par with DC would potentially increase sales.

Plays a big part. DC's Rebirth was mostly priced at $2.99 and as they slowly raise to $3.99 on certain titles, people are complaining and dropping some.

Marvel has definitely felt the pinch.

7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

At least Joe Q treated the Fantastic Four and X-Men quite decent, under Alonso's watch they got buried. 

"Decent" is a very big word as far as the Fantastic Four. The X-Men had been already ruined for years.

10 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

It's very possible. When talking about future film projects in particular, having something to market to the world would be right up Disney's alley.

On the bright side, the films have pretty much been enjoyable.... especially compared to the pile of dung that is the DC films.   Even Fox finally got a Wolverine movie right (although Age of Apocalypse was just awful).   

28 minutes ago, vaillant said:

"Decent" is a very big word as far as the Fantastic Four. The X-Men had been already ruined for years.

The Waid / Wieringo  FF run during the 2000's was very enjoyable. 

8 hours ago, drotto said:

I will give you a few of these but, I would not call any of them (except maybe Dr. Strange) top tier characters.  Some of the ones you listed are not the original like Hawkeye and Wasp, both are replacements.  Most of the others are C and D list characters that have multiple failed solo titles already to their credit, for instance Black Panther, Spidey 2099, Electra, Rocket, Power Man, Star Lord, etc.  I am not sure how Marvel is picking the people to try in solo books, but it seems that there are more worthy candidates.  Plus Marvel has always done better with team books.  About half the characters on that list however are less then 5 years old and many were gimmick characters that had momentary success and have quickly worn out their welcome.

Power Man & Iron Fist was a fun read, sorry to see that go.  As for the cancellations- no surprises.   Silver Surfer never seems to hold on to a solo title since his 1990's run.   Whoever thought Great Lakes Avengers and US Avengers would have lasted a year were delusional.   E List Characters in those books. 

8 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

I'm not sure this would actually be a good example.

You're basically saying that more words = better comics. There's actually MORE going on in the story in the example you're using as 'bad'.

Based upon what you're trying to say here, that would mean, this:

Liefeld.thumb.jpg.98840a664f652fe3ecca5f63ad373926.jpg

Is better than THIS:

Moebius.jpg.3b276b40a937d6707a0454d389d10d85.jpg

And it's just NOT.

Joe Rosen is my favourite letterer from the era before computer lettering such as Comicraft’s.

I really like the style's small, precise neatness and it also works well with old-school, verbose, expository dialogue such as on the page you’ve shown.

A bit unfair to compare the storytelling skills there with the genius of Jean Giraud.  No chance of winning. lol:smile:

Edited by Ken Aldred

22 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Joe Rosen is my favourite letterer from the era before computer lettering such as Comicraft’s.

I really like the style's small, precise neatness and it also works well with old-school, verbose, expository dialogue such as on the page you’ve shown.

A bit unfair to compare the storytelling skills there with the genius of Jean Giraud.  No chance of winning. lol:smile:

Well yeah... LOL.

I guess the point I was making is that, Marvel's books always took a long time to read because of the over wordiness of it. To me it sometimes felt like someone was holding my hand and helping me through the story.

Good art, can tell the story without any words. Which... should be the way it is in comics.

I think a lot of "silent" comics feel ponderous, and pretentious. There's also an irony in certain books having their writers billed bigger than the artist and containing page after page with not a single word.

23 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Prolly because of the digital code insert

On 5/9/2017 at 5:17 PM, Chuck Gower said:

Well yeah... LOL.

I guess the point I was making is that, Marvel's books always took a long time to read because of the over wordiness of it. To me it sometimes felt like someone was holding my hand and helping me through the story.

Good art, can tell the story without any words. Which... should be the way it is in comics.

Why are you such a fan of Alan Moore then? :D

9 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Partly because I just like good writing but, also because Alan Moore writes his stories like a comic book artist should think

What does that part mean?

If you're for less words to let the artist tell the story, it doesn't make sense because Moore is one of the most verbose comic book writers in history.

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

What does that part mean?

Have you ever seen any of Moore's scripts?

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

If you're for less words to let the artist tell the story, it doesn't make sense because Moore is one of the most verbose comic book writers in history.

He didn't say he's for fewer words, just for good art that doesn't require extra words to explain what's going on.

41 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Have you ever seen any of Moore's scripts?

He didn't say he's for fewer words, just for good art that doesn't require extra words to explain what's going on.

So, Moore hasn't benefitted from having good artists work with him? ;)

No, I have never seen one of his scripts.