• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May comiclink auction
2 2

99 posts in this topic

I dunno, no one steps up to defend Rob when people trash his work. The McFarlane topic will go back and forth and back and forth and before you know it, the (fill in the blank) thread becomes a McFarlane argument.

On May 5, 2017 at 11:05 PM, Overthetopinc said:

When did Spawn get good...Issue#1-150+  Did you ever hear about the HBO show that won an Emmy? That was right from the comics. Obviously some one liked it. 

Come on now just because a comic has 150 issues doesn't mean it has great writing start to finish. Spawn is a big enough of a brand to carry itself. It is the Image flagship title so for better or worse we will continue to see it for some time. 

Now obviously you are a fan but you should try and be a little more objective. When you say 1-150 are when it got good that tells us that if you didn't care for the first 10 issues that the rest won't be any better. This is a book I wanted to like but didn't.  Is there one solid storyline that rises above the rest? 

Not to be sarcastic but no I had no idea that there was a tv show. This is a live action tv show? I had no idea. 

Hard for me to beleive that you read 150 issues of Spawn and had no idea there was the HBO show that aired every week before the Sopronoes. I think you are the one misinformed. Spawn was great from the beginning to 150+. When Todd and Greg did those books it was amazing. There are no story lines like in other comics which makes me think you never even read a Spawn comic. It one continuous battle of Spawn trying to put his life together while fighting Heaven and hell at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Overthetopinc said:

Hard for me to beleive that you read 150 issues of Spawn and had no idea there was the HBO show that aired every week before the Sopronoes. I think you are the one misinformed. Spawn was great from the beginning to 150+. When Todd and Greg did those books it was amazing. There are no story lines like in other comics which makes me think you never even read a Spawn comic. It one continuous battle of Spawn trying to put his life together while fighting Heaven and hell at the same time. 

Please stop playing this show up like it was huge. I remember when this HBO cartoon first aired and I was in 8th grade so that was 97, and sure enough IMDB confirms this.

Further more only 6 episodes would have premiered before the Sopranos season one epsidoes as that show started in 99. By the time those last 6 Spawn episodes aired in 99 those Sopranos season 1 episodes were already reruns from the first season.

The Spawn show had 18 episodes over 3 seasons. No one really cares that it won 2 Emmy awards especially for the final ridiculous categoery no on really cares about.

Primetime Emmy [Winner] (1999)
Outstanding Animated Program (For Programming More Than One Hour). How much competition is really not hat category?

The year it won it won the second Emmy it was its last season. There is even an epsidoe of the Sopranos where a guy tries to pawn an Emmy and the shop owner offers next to nothing since it's just an Emmy.

I don't recall any of my friends talking about this show other then when it was just premiering. 

On 5/3/2017 at 10:10 PM, buyatari said:

When did Spawn get good? Read the first issues until around the time that he had guest writters like Neil Gaiman w Angela fill in. Didn't care much for it but like many of us back then in the early 90s I just kept buying them anyway. 

I stayed with it until Cy-Gor, the cyborg gorilla. Could not go on after that.

The world is crazy for McFarlane's Spider-Man but, in my eyes, he should never have been allowed to write the comic. He didn't have the chops.

He improved as Spawn went along. Not masterful, but good enough and much better than when he started. Got to give the man his props.

Also, I liked Cy-Gor. I've always been a sucker for gorillas in the comics.

44 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Please stop playing this show up like it was huge. I remember when this HBO cartoon first aired and I was in 8th grade so that was 97, and sure enough IMDB confirms this.

Further more only 6 episodes would have premiered before the Sopranos season one epsidoes as that show started in 99. By the time those last 6 Spawn episodes aired in 99 those Sopranos season 1 episodes were already reruns from the first season.

The Spawn show had 18 episodes over 3 seasons. No one really cares that it won 2 Emmy awards especially for the final ridiculous categoery no on really cares about.

Primetime Emmy [Winner] (1999)
Outstanding Animated Program (For Programming More Than One Hour). How much competition is really not hat category?

The year it won it won the second Emmy it was its last season. There is even an epsidoe of the Sopranos where a guy tries to pawn an Emmy and the shop owner offers next to nothing since it's just an Emmy.

I don't recall any of my friends talking about this show other then when it was just premiering. 

I suggest trying to watch the show if you haven't. Let me know if you are able to make it through more than two episodes without driving an ice pick through your eyes. I was a younger adult when it came out and was really excited to see it. Let's just say I didn't make it through two episodes before getting the ice pick. 

Just now, batman_fan said:

I suggest trying to watch the show if you haven't. Let me know if you are able to make it through more than two episodes without driving an ice pick through your eyes. I was a younger adult when it came out and was really excited to see it. Let's just say I didn't make it through two episodes before getting the ice pick. 

The Maxx show was much better.

My friend's father won an Emmy for the Olympics at Lake Placid. It was a piece of junk made of loosely joined pieces. I was really surprised when I picked it up and it almost fell apart.

No one cares about the Emmys,lol. Maybe YOU dont care. You know I have had enough with these boards. The only reason people tune into these boards is to see the next fight.  Made up of trolls and tire kickers and a couple real collectors who just like having their d**k pulled. Fine Spawn was mess. Mcfarlane is mess. Every comic outside of whatever you like is mess! See that I finally made two people agree on these boards.  There is hope yet!

9 minutes ago, Overthetopinc said:

No one cares about the Emmys,lol. Maybe YOU dont care. You know I have had enough with these boards. The only reason people tune into these boards is to see the next fight.  Made up of trolls and tire kickers and a couple real collectors who just like having their d**k pulled. Fine Spawn was mess. Mcfarlane is mess. Every comic outside of whatever you like is mess! See that I finally made two people agree on these boards.  There is hope yet!

Or the other perspective, "people don't agree with me and I am brilliant and always right so I am leaving"

No, I came on this thread mentioning how good I thought Spawn was and immeaditley was attacked by people like you who only come on here to feel important in this hobby and get attention by slamming something that was positive. Has nothing to do with being right. That is my whole point. I came to talk about Spawn and how cool I think it is that there is another movie in the works and people like you cant help themselves from starting a fight. Look at you with your 10,000 posts. My gosh is this all you do?

13 minutes ago, Overthetopinc said:

Lighten up Francis. You are the one who is constantly trying to pick fights and also you are noticeably taking things out of context. At no point did I say no one cares about Emmys. 

Just like Oscars there are caterogories that garner much more attention and cateogories only people in the entertainment business give two about.

I said no one cares about a category for Animated Program over 1 hour. How many Animated TV shows even exist at that length. Since you got on your pedestal to pump the show as being the lead into the Sopranos I thought it was ironic there was an episode of that show dissing the Emmys.

In fact your rantings have been proven to be not backed by facts. 

"Hard for me to beleive that you read 150 issues of Spawn and had no idea there was the HBO show that aired every week before the Sopronoes. I think you are the one misinformed."

The cold hard facts prove this to be untrue. "Aired Every Week Before the Sopranos."

A show that didn't even exist during the Spawn shows first 2 seasons 2/3s of its original run.

Someone mentioned the Spawn art at auction and I said I should have not sold all of mine. At one time I had like 50 pieces. And I said I thought it was cool that a movie was coming out and was just lamenting the previous comment. I have noticed that when it goes Hollywood and is well done prices seem to go up. Should have bought that Iron Fist#14 when I had the chance..AGHHHH

Did you know those facts or had to research them for your post? I did not have HBO in the early years. I just remembered I would catch it sometimes before the sopronoes. I did however buy the Spawn collection and have watched it three times. You are saying spawn sucks and I am trying to explain why me and so many others liked it and you bust out your imdb and emmy facts. Dude you are funny!

On 5/6/2017 at 0:32 AM, J.Sid said:

I can't think of another artist who has the capacity to hijack any thread as well as Todd McFarlane can. 

If you ever needed proof of that, read everything that happened after you wrote that LOL.

I guess its my fault for the hijack. All I meant for was a discussion about do people think movies create more demand for the art that inspired them. I apologize to everyone involved. I will not write a post defending how much I like Mcfarlane. I was just wondering because nobody here has talked about how bad the Punisher was in DD and Iron Fist on netflix. Dont worry no more Hijacking. Clink has a nice auction put together like HA's. Lots of goodies to be had!

Seriously guys I dont want a back in forth. Lets just say Todd Mcfarlane has a lot of fans and a few haters =)