• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why has AF15 exploded in value?
9 9

286 posts in this topic

This thread cracks me up.  What goes up must come down.  But I have been waiting for several years for AF15 to cycle back down, and I have been wrong.  The grade I really want, but can't afford is 8.0 or higher.  Time machine please. One of the few keys I had and sold, and should have kept.  So many graded copies for a supposedly hard to find KEY issue (yes, it is a SA key, I know ), I thought the supply would keep the price at a normal price range.  I was wrong again.  Still pending the max limit for some of these grades, it has to peak eventually.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:25 PM, DKP said:

Why has AF15 exploded in value?

why the dynamic price increase  for Amazing Fantasy 15 in the last 2 or 3 months?

because it's the best thing in the whole medium.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, Agent 007 said:

This thread cracks me up.  What goes up must come down.  But I have been waiting for several years for AF15 to cycle back down, and I have been wrong.  The grade I really want, but can't afford is 8.0 or higher.  Time machine please. One of the few keys I had and sold, and should have kept.  So many graded copies for a supposedly hard to find KEY issue (yes, it is a SA key, I know ), I thought the supply would keep the price at a normal price range.  I was wrong again.  Still pending the max limit for some of these grades, it has to peak eventually.

8.0 and above is definitely the cutoff mark for limited supply

33 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

8.0 and above is definitely the cutoff mark for limited supply

Erm...it just depends on how much money you're willing to spend.  As it is, anything higher than even a 6.0 already puts you in the top 10% of all graded, unrestored copies, which certainly qualifies as "limited" as well. Sure, 8.0 and up is "more limited", just like 9.0 and up is "even more limited than that".  Like I said, it just depends on how much you're willing to spend. 

-J.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Erm...it just depends on how much money you're willing to spend.  As it is, anything higher than even a 6.0 already puts you in the top 10% of all graded, unrestored copies, which certainly qualifies as "limited" as well. Sure, 8.0 and up is "more limited", just like 9.0 and up is "even more limited than that".  Like I said, it just depends on how much you're willing to spend. 

-J.

I agree but here's the breakdown, and yes the numbersare skewed based or resub

2692 total graded

45 universal graded in 8.0 above

240 universal graded in 6.0 above

1 hour ago, Spiderturtle said:

2692 total graded

Depends on how you define "Limited". To me, top 10% is "Limited". You have a print run of 9 normal covers and one variant, thats pretty limited. Just perspective I guess.

2 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

2692 total graded

And THAT is where I believe the proof is in the pudding.  <250 blues in 6.0 and above.  Of course, collectors/comic junkies/Spiderman lovers/speculators/etc. will pay what their wallets will allow.  That is not a very large number of "investment grade" copies when you take it all into perspective.          

There is definitely no shortage of copies available of this book, but I do agree finding higher grades will be costly. I think there are just way too many fans of Spidey and thus prices will remain high. One of the couple of issues I don't own along with a #1. Maybe one day if I ever hit some nice lottery. I keep praying.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:37 PM, Hudson said:

On 5/2/2017 at 9:21 PM, Gotham Kid said:

AF15 is the most important work ever published second only to the Bible. It's value is priceless. Also, its champion will be along shortly to corroborate ...

Peter,

I am glad you put the Bible first, however, I am concerned about you listing AF15 as the second most important work ever published.  Let's be honest, without Action 1, it is hard to believe there ever would have been an AF15 (or any other man in tights).

This is NOT to say that AF15 should not hold a very high place on the "Most important published works list" (if such a list exists).  I am just not clear how you can put it in at #2, my friend.

fluent-sarcasm-humor-funny-joke-friend-s

Only part I meant was about the Bible. My post was a :baiting: at SC22 :kidaround:.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Spider-Man is the king of silver age heroes.

BTW, The print run argument has nothing to do with AF#15. It is all about demand and #AF's demand is thru the roof!

Spider-Man will always be an iconic character,especially with the Disney machine behind him.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

19 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

fluent-sarcasm-humor-funny-joke-friend-s

Only part I meant was about the Bible. My post was a :baiting: at SC22 :kidaround:.

:roflmao: OK.  That makes a lot more sense.  I may not have blinked an eye  if you had said TEC27 (with some bias), however, AF15 was just too far a stretch.  Glad to know you were not serious.

All grades of AF15 will keep inching up until our sun explodes.  Unless we have another world war (a distinct possibility).

Ever-growing population, ever-growing world economy, limited number of books.  There is no artificial "ceiling" that prophets occasionally like to reference for it.   ;)

Spider-Man is one of those few characters that is timeless. From his look to his personality it just stands the test of time. I would love to think that AF 15 will have a substantial decrease in value at some point in the distant future. I would love to own this book. Unfortunately in reality it would take an economic catastrophie to really effect its value. At that point comics will be the least of anyone's concern.

On 10/05/2017 at 9:13 AM, exitmusicblue said:

Unless we have another world war (a distinct possibility).

If that happens (and I agree it is not inconceivable now by any means), then your 'valueless' AF15 will be the least of your problems.

11 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Wars been coming for 30 years...until it finally hits im buying comics!

^^

I could not agree more.

Bring on the books!!!

Edited by grayzr

I first came to these boards around 2008 when I was eBay swindled on an AF15 that had an undisclosed repro cover. I think I paid $600 for it. After much hassle (and help from boardies) I was able to reverse the purchase, but now I wish I had hung onto it. I imagine $600 would be a pretty good deal for coverless these days.

Edited by Mackenzie999