• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why has AF15 exploded in value?
9 9

286 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2017 at 9:10 PM, Dark Knight said:

I dunno anything about MTG, but am aware that some of the rarer cards are worth a lot of $$$.  I don't get all the popularity and hype of it at all.

It is pretty awesome. It is getting more popular. Also there is going to be a Magic The Gathering movie in a few years that might create more interest with mainstream.

On 5/21/2017 at 11:13 AM, showcase22gr1959 said:

Since there are more new MTG sets produced, the audience continues to support it with new and old crowds. I'm one of the folks who enjoys the earlier stuff, but don't know enough of the new stuff. Comics was always my first choice and bought my first Silver Age Book when I was about ten in the mid 1980's. You have some mighty nice GA books, since you gravitate more towards that era.:wink:

I say the three best hobbies are comics, cards(sports and non-sports) and video-games.

New and vintage characters,new and classic stories and they keep updating them every year.

12 minutes ago, namisgr said:

This epitomizes the mania that drives bubbles.

Yes, it does.  There will be a correction at some point but does anyone honestly think the book is going to depreciate 50%?  I think it's more likely that we see a small drop off and people hold on to their copies because they are unwilling to sell them at a loss (e.g. Hulk 1).  

3 hours ago, piper said:

Yes, it does.  There will be a correction at some point but does anyone honestly think the book is going to depreciate 50%?  I think it's more likely that we see a small drop off and people hold on to their copies because they are unwilling to sell them at a loss (e.g. Hulk 1).  

With two big Disney Spider-Man movies on the way the odds are slim and none. The odds are better it will go up, and the correction will be higher prices. :smile:

16 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Soo, how much of a discount does chipped copies command vs. unchipped copies?  20% off sound right? I guess it also depends on the varying degrees of chipping.

there is no set in stone formula...every book, every grade seems different....too many variables (pq, buyer desire, visual appeal, other defects, etc, etc)...

anyone on this board for a few years know I have always touted non mc copies over mc copies...paid more for them if I had too, specifically and discriminatorily sought them out and asked more for them when I resold...but the prices weren't as "exaggerated" in years past as they are now, so the differential, while it may or may not have been there, was not as perceptible as it appears to be now...

but what do I know

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

there is no set in stone formula...every book, every grade seems different....too many variables (pq, buyer desire, visual appeal, other defects, etc, etc)...

anyone on this board for a few years know I have always touted non mc copies over mc copies...paid more for them if I had too, specifically and discriminatorily sought them out and asked more for them when I resold...but the prices weren't as "exaggerated" in years past as they are now, so the differential, while it may or may not have been there, was not as perceptible as it appears to be now...

but what do I know

Many of us remember Danny Dupcak from Fantasia. As shady and crooked as his past is/was, he said some things decades ago that kinda made sense.

1) There will be a $X,XXX,XXX book before the new millennium.

2) The spread between MC and non-MC books will increase dramatically in prospective years

3) The value/price point disparity between low grade and high grade books will be astronomical (in the old days books were priced by Overstreet...remember this pub...and VG would normally go for 30 to 40% of a VF/NM price, FINE 50 to 60%, etc..).

Edited by peewee22

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

but what do I know

I agree with what you're saying.  I have also stressed about buying non-chipped copies in the past.  Most of my copies had no MC, I had a few that I did but that time I really didn't take MC into account.  Prices are astronomically high and tough to gauge the market fro chipped copies.  Only way to find out is to put one up for auction, which I may do.

On May 21, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Spiderturtle said:

Af15 is the only book that gets me excited but we it comes to reliving my childhood.  I spend money on these things(knowing that they probably wont go up in value)

1. Garbage pail kids

2.  Afa graded 1980s transformers, gi joe, he-man

3. Vga graded sega master system and sega genesis games

I was gonna relive my glory high school days and snipe this graded golden axe at the last minute.  Guess i was wrong, $1025.  Coudn't even snipe it, my bid was too low  lol

http://m.ebay.com/itm/262998892270

On 5/29/2017 at 10:49 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

+1,000,000

Better bet than an oz of gold or people who stack their silver.

"What are things you hear during a market bubble?  I'll take Manias, Panics and Crashes for $800, Alex."

It probably doesn't help either that wrong information is being sent to GPA in regards to sales figures.

i just learned today without a shadow of a doubt that a recent sale of an AF #15 is now reflected on GPA at a sale price, higher than what was actually paid.  I'm not sure what the end game is, but there is at least one example of it.  Hopefully just an isolated incident.

Jim

28 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Also, it appears many sales of CC books arent appearing on GPA, namely some of the AF15's. Anyone else notice this?

Are you seeing some sales from one auction being reported while others are not?

From what I can see none of the record sales have made it to GPA yet.

CC doesn't report immediately like Heritage. They submit will after the auctions have ended.