• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is GA so awesome?
4 4

62 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, skybolt said:

As others have mentioned, for me it all comes down to owning a book I like in a condition that very few people have in their collections. For instance, the idea of holding an Edgar Church book graded at 9.4 with the next copy in the census graded at 4.5, is very appealing to me. Sure, someone can spend thousands of dollars finding and purchasing the only 9.9 graded copy of an ASM book, but is the eye appeal of that book really that much better than a 9.8, 9.6 or even a 9.4 copy? We're talking about a minor invisible stress mark in most cases. Also, like others, I have owned semi-HG copies of most SA Marvel keys. However, if someone made me an offer of 10 to 20% more than the FMV for these books, I haven't hesitated in the slightest to sell them...........knowing I can get a similar copy later. With GA it's a different story. It's very difficult to part with a book (even at 2 or 3 times FMV) if you know you'll likely never find a similar copy in HG. Sometimes I've gotten offers via Heritage for GA books I've purchased through their website, but have responded that the book is already sold just so I don't see the next tempting offer to entice me to sell it. With SA and BA, I'd be wheeling and dealing right away. That being said, the only SA book I still have in my collection is an 8.0 CGC graded copy of ASM #1. The only reason I haven't sold it is because I know my wife will never let me spend $25k to get a similar copy back. :(

True enough, but heck sometimes you can even throw the concept of grade out the window. Some GA books you just aren't going to see again for a while regardless of grade if you let your current copy go. But certainly letting a nice copy go does give you that feeling of "I might see another copy in a year or three, but it is NOT going to be this nice."

On 2017-05-15 at 4:20 AM, exitmusicblue said:

Classy + classic?  Just something so pure about the era in comics.

It was too primitive to be pretentious like moderns are.

55 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It was too primitive to be pretentious like moderns are.

I think the GA is so awesome because:

it allows me to make new desktop backgrounds like this:

IMG_1823.thumb.JPG.884f001b6d38758abe2ecc92f0cba38f.JPG

The only problem is that it's really distracting me from getting my work done!

2 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I think the GA is so awesome because:

it allows me to make new desktop backgrounds like this:

IMG_1823.thumb.JPG.884f001b6d38758abe2ecc92f0cba38f.JPG

The only problem is that it's really distracting me from getting my work done!

You say that like it's a bad thing. :)

51 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

There's nothing primitive about clear, direct storytelling, Roy. Let's bust that tired old myth already (thumbsu

Hm.

I didn't mean to be derogatory.

I just meant that it was a simpler time. It was new to the scene and so did not have something to be pretentious about.

I don't disagree that there was lots of great story telling.

9 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Hm.

I didn't mean to be derogatory.

I just meant that it was a simpler time. It was new to the scene and so did not have something to be pretentious about.

I don't disagree that there was lots of great story telling.

I didn't think you did, sir (thumbsu I'm just suggesting that it's a common thing to refer to days gone by as simpler times, which is 1) quite possibly inaccurate and 2) something that can suggest the creators were somehow simpler, or more primitive.

I guess what I'm saying is one of the reasons I like the Golden Age is most of the great artists and writers of the era could mop the floor with today's top names, and I think we inadvertently demean their work with the broad brushstroke of simpler.

49 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I can't count how many times I've read my ECs and Barks ducks. Just timeless books. Both have the best of both stories and art. The newer stuff just doesn't even come close to these...

Not long ago I reread the Barks DD 10-page story "Omelette."  It's laugh-out-loud funny.  Barks turned out a ton of stuff, so naturally, it's not all great.  But at his best, he's tough to top. 

On 5/20/2017 at 11:49 AM, Robot Man said:

I can't count how many times I've read my ECs and Barks ducks. Just timeless books. Both have the best of both stories and art. The newer stuff just doesn't even come close to these...

23 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Not long ago I reread the Barks DD 10-page story "Omelette."  It's laugh-out-loud funny.  Barks turned out a ton of stuff, so naturally, it's not all great.  But at his best, he's tough to top. 

When my kids were young we would read the Barks stories together. Barks' longer stories were great fun, but the 10-pagers were masterpieces of tight storytelling. "Omelette" was a great favorite and had us all laughing out loud, each time it came up in rotation.

1 hour ago, eccomic said:

The covers of today are simply rivaled by the covers of the Golden Age era. Period. 

IMG_4967.JPG

Nice!!  Mine is graded by the enemy... can't post it here.

The Top 10 reasons GA is so awesome:

10. Ten cents

9. 64 pages

8. Newsstands

7. More realistic villains (Hitler)

6. Pulps of all variety

5. Saturday matinee serials

4. Sunday comics sections with pizazz.

3. Comic artists seemed to have a broader range of styles

2. Patriotism ...and being Presidential... meant something

...and the number one reason GA is so awesome (drum roll):

Spoiler

1. Because awesome people collect Golden Age! :headbang:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

Golden Age books are special for a multitude of reasons. As a DC/Timely collector, there's a lot of history and a lot of modern day connections that make the character's original incarnations incredibly desirable. It can be argued that, collectively, the modern day Marvel and DC Universes are two of the most successful outlets for creative fictional characters. Spanning from film to television to merchandise, they're as popular as ever and their popularity has remained strong throughout most of the decades since their introduction. If you download an Batman app on your iPhone, buy a Captain America t-shirt or toss up some money to watch a LEGO film about these characters, you can trace it all back to the 1930s and 1940s. Story-wise and artistically, the Golden Age has a lot to offer as well. Throw in the scarcity of some of the most desirable issues and you have the perfect combination for drifting towards this era for comic collecting.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

29 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

If you download an Batman app on your iPhone, buy a Captain America t-shirt or toss up some money to watch a LEGO film about these characters, you can trace it all back to the 1930s and 1940s.

Very good point!