• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nickel City Con 2017 Report
1 1

51 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

How many people attend this show?

I note CGC is there.

I haven't the slightest, these pics are probably taken early on in the day I'm sure. CGC being there must require a "presence" of some sort....whether that be artist's or convention'ers, so I agree.... the mystery is in the details ha. The photo-op list bewilder's me a little O.o 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I haven't the slightest, these pics are probably taken early on in the day I'm sure. CGC being there must require a "presence" of some sort....whether that be artist's or convention'ers, so I agree.... the mystery is in the details ha. The photo-op list bewilder's me a little O.o 

I am wondering because CGC wont come to Calgary which is a show that has near 100,000 people attend but will go to the Nickle City show. (shrug)

11 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I am wondering because CGC wont come to Calgary which is a show that has near 100,000 people attend but will go to the Nickle City show. (shrug)

Believe it or not I hear you, even here in Dallas where there are many shows, some have other companies attending the smaller cons; and while they "say" CGC is here or there, it seems other companies are around more even at the smaller shows. O.o I would assume that CGC could spare some facilitator's to be at smaller con's to witness for who is there, or at the very least, a drop off point for future signing's. I don't quite feel comfortable sending stuff off in the mail yet! But will have to eventually for signings of Todd Mcfarlane and other's, which is what I'm assuming your referring to, is SS? Some feel uncomfortable or want to save on shipping by dropping off for blue label too.

36 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Get the other company in and they may attempt to show up.

Last year we had the other company at FanExpo Vancouver and not this year, CGC has listed that they will be attending up here in November. 

43 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Believe it or not I hear you, even here in Dallas where there are many shows, some have other companies attending the smaller cons; and while they "say" CGC is here or there, it seems other companies are around more even at the smaller shows. O.o I would assume that CGC could spare some facilitator's to be at smaller con's to witness for who is there, or at the very least, a drop off point for future signing's. I don't quite feel comfortable sending stuff off in the mail yet! But will have to eventually for signings of Todd Mcfarlane and other's, which is what I'm assuming your referring to, is SS? Some feel uncomfortable or want to save on shipping by dropping off for blue label too.

being able to submit and ss.  The line for McFarlane in Calgary was 5 hours long. CGC missed a huge opportunity in my opinion.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

being able to submit and ss.  The line for McFarlane in Calgary was 5 hours long. CGC missed a huge opportunity in my opinion.

CGC missed nothing with McFarlane, as you can only do SS with him at his two private signings per year.  

xoxo

greggy

5 minutes ago, greggy said:

Why would Bob Layton have a photo op?

I was thinking the same thing myself.  Went to Motor City yesterday with our own Iceman, and then Nickel City today.  I felt so sorry for Austin and Alex today at Reece Comics.  A million dollar inventory, and the place was a ghost town for anybody looking for collectors comics.

Jim

On 5/20/2017 at 6:44 PM, Guardian Comics said:

I was thinking the same thing myself.  Went to Motor City yesterday with our own Iceman, and then Nickel City today.  I felt so sorry for Austin and Alex today at Reece Comics.  A million dollar inventory, and the place was a ghost town for anybody looking for collectors comics.

Jim

They did look very bored when I passed by.

Edited by 1Cool

Bob McLeod had a sign up saying the first signature was free (except New Mutants) and CGC books were like $20.  He was sitting by himself sketching the two times I walked they the virtually empty artists and celebrity area.  I stopped in to get a quick sig on a early new mutant I had just picked up since I assumed he meant no free sigs on key new mutants.  Nope - no free sigs on all New Mutant books.  I asked him why that was and he kind of shrugged and went back to having no line and sketching.  The only thing more depressing was Jake the Snake and the Iron Sheik sitting with no line and nothing to do.  There was a line for Shatner but everyone else had no line at 4:00 on Saturday.

17 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Nowhere near that. Most of the booths were over priced as well, IMO.

Harrisons and Zapps were good to deal with. Dave & Adams always has good prices, but it didn't seem like they had restocked since I saw them a couple months back.

On 5/20/2017 at 6:44 PM, Guardian Comics said:

Jim

We definitely appreciate the support Jim! I know Dave and Adam's promoted the show well, and they did have some bodies through the door on Saturday (a lot of people were saying they had to wait in line as opposed to last year), but all in all it just wasn't much of a collecting crowd. It definitely happens as smaller shows are being built up, so whether or not they get more comic dealers in the room over the next 3-4 years is going to be telling for what direction the show is going to ultimately head. I could see it potentially becoming a good comic show, or another in a long line of pop culture shows. But we were definitely happy to meet some new customers and sell a couple of books, thanks to everyone who stopped in to hang out with us over the weekend!

Alex