• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel comics 1 entry price?

234 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

No kidding - the problem here is that a modern myopic viewpoint just doesn't translate well to a printing process done 8 decades ago.

Nearly 80 years later, and all the Timely veterans have been fooled into thinking the Nov copies were still legit first print runs. Even Olshevsky is disappointed I'm sure. Fire all those OSPG advisors too ? ... The next Oct copy that comes to market will explode lol   

Edited by Primetime

2 hours ago, Ameri said:

whew, just got back. Here it is. Note da key words: "Intro" "1st Timely" = No Reprint, No 2nd printing, NO NUTTIN. Sorry Jay

20160827_104208.jpg

That's a really special book, sir!  Owning it places you in a very, very small club.  99.9% of comic collectors/enthusiasts will never own one.  And not for lack of desire! (thumbsu

6 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

That's a really special book, sir!  Owning it places you in a very, very small club.  99.9% of comic collectors/enthusiasts will never own one.  And not for lack of desire! (thumbsu

Thank you!  

My Marvel Grail was a Cap 1  If it was a MC 1 I assume I would want the October copy regardless of what the CGC label or other respected enthusiasts say about the Nov copy.  I'm just glad Cap 1's initial print run was all at once and they were more available.  It was hard enough to get a universal copy when I entered the market looking for one

These days, On hobby changing books such as marvel 1, batman 1, superman 1, etc, I personally don't care which version I'm able to obtain. There's no longer a real difference in which I desire to have. That wasn't always the case  

Once upon a time I had both marvel 1s, both batman 1s and 2 of the 3 superman 1s (didn't know there were 3 at the time)

Because I was aware of the differences I did consciously seek out each version (One can label them whatever they want,  the fact remains there are differences)

But as I sold each book I realized nobody else seem to care but me ,  just the notion of obtaining "a" copy was enough 

And with the prices these books obtain today I believe that to be more relevant than ever 

I was thinking of the of the other "variants" we have in GA books. Besides a number of books I've had that have a gloss vs matte finish to their covers that is from printing or the Supes #1 these 3 came to mind.

Batman #1 dot and no dot:

image.jpeg.f19d304c5b41b4f85af6997b2c69ea3a.jpegimage.jpeg.2551b3d8b60b19d734ce489ea89cab36.jpeg

Tomb of Terror #13 logo variant:

image.jpeg.49ede72fcb4012442e4faa1e4b6a1fde.jpegimage.jpeg.8df07ce07d85f6b1820d6e08b705aebe.jpeg

Crime Suspenstories #1 some copies marked #15 inside:

image.jpeg.5e58b0d3c897dcf0c6a1bfecd2e28f4c.jpegimage.jpeg.996d07f5ea7d46caf4d3482aed64281f.jpeg

The above all seem to be variants done in the comics initial printings. In the case of Crime Suspenstories we know the copies marked #15 were done first like we know the October dated Marvel #1's were first but the others ? I've not heard any information on many of these books if you were trying to determine which came first the chicken or the egg. So if you must call them first or second printings (which is fine by me if that's your opinion of things) you are simply not going to be able to determine which is which in many cases. 

Also you have to accept that for now at least far and away most collectors don't view Marvel comics #1 as first or second prints (or worse, a reprint for November copies) just like no one is saying Crime Suspenstories #1 is a second printing or reprint. In both cases the variant does carry a slight premium though.

I've always held the opinion if you love a book that much and can afford it buy both. I know of several people that own both Marvels or Batmans in their collections because they view that as being complete. Otherwise if you are in the market for a copy buy the one that you like best and makes you happy.

After all this I want to start a thread on GA variants myself....:wink:

Edited by N e r V

Don't know what would happen with the Superman 1s or the Batman 1s but I would say that if you put an identically graded and PQ October and November Marvel 1 together, the October Marvel 1 would command a premium.

12 hours ago, Ameri said:

whew, just got back. Here it is. Note da key words: "Intro" "1st Timely" = No Reprint, No 2nd printing, NO NUTTIN. Sorry Jay

20160827_104208.jpg

I dont eve know how they can come up with that statement as history seems to suggest otherwise? October is a different month than November and the October copies are super rare so Fishler's account of the 80,000 copies of an initial press seems very logical to me. Give me an October copy and I wouldn't have to own another book again. 

4 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Don't know what would happen with the Superman 1s or the Batman 1s but I would say that if you put an identically graded and PQ October and November Marvel 1 together, the October Marvel 1 would command a premium.

When I was going to pick one up the seller was asking about 5% over the regular November copies price. The last two collectors I know got theirs at probably a 10% premium. I'm sure someone like Gator or Bedrock could give a better answer what the current difference is. 

I know it's supposed to be scarcer but for whatever reason I know a fair amount of people with them now and in the past. They probably due tend to get locked up in collections longer due to their novelty factor too. 

If October copies truly are scarcer than Nov copies, that alone would command a premium. We see this in the hobby frequently. A midrun comic with no special characteristics or content will routinely sell for multiples of surrounding issues due to a perception of scarcity. Many collectors seem sensitive about the question of multiple printings of key GA books, a result I imagine of the conventional assumption that not-first printings are going to be worth less than first printings, but even this is not always true. In the modern comic collecting world, after printings can be far more valuable than firsts if they are considered rare in comparison. Of course, the metrics are different in such a case, as the first printings are generally quite common, but it is still an example of scarcity being as much a factor as printing status in terms of desirability. 

That zebra strip drop shadow on some versions of ToT 13 is so strange. As far as I know Harvey never did anything similar with another book, and it looks incomplete. The first time I saw a copy, I assumed it was the result of someone doodling on the comic. 

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

That zebra strip drop shadow on some versions of ToT 13 is so strange. As far as I know Harvey never did anything similar with another book, and it looks incomplete. The first time I saw a copy, I assumed it was the result of someone doodling on the comic. 

This was my exact impression as well.  I thought for sure someone thought they were cool, coloring on a comic book.  Very shocked to find out it's a printing difference.