• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA books still flying under the radar
1 1

304 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Yorick said:

I think there is a major portion of collectors who only go for cool covers, and that's not exactly the best cover.  If Gaines had just blown up one of those Squeeze Play panels from the interior....

I used to feel that way, but over the years that cover has grown on me. When I was younger I felt that if the cover wasn't Wood or Davis , it was somehow inferior.... but my tastes evolved... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

38 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I used to feel that way, but over the years that cover has grown on me. When I was younger I felt that if the cover wasn't Wood or Davis , it was somehow inferior.... but my tastes evolved... GOD BLESS...

That's what happens when you become a Seasoned Veteran. :)

33 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

That's what happens when you become a Seasoned Veteran. :)

That's what happens when you like your books with a nice chianti and some fava beans, shu-chu-chu-chu...:kidaround: 

3 hours ago, Hoarder said:

I have posted these before, but I think the Green Hornet Cover Run from #13-24 has some amazing covers.  I think the Schomburg covers are generally hard to find and a couple (#18 and #19) are truly classics.

Green Hornet Comics 18 Front.jpg

Green Hornet Comics 19.jpg

Love these covers! :luhv:

I think                         will get hot once people  realize that                               does the interior art and covers (even though they arent GGA) and his                           covers get prohibitively expensive. 

Another title that flies under the radar are the Star Spangled Comics with the Guardian. Some great Simon and Kirby covers. I have been observing the huge number of books once available have been slowly decreasing.  I don't know if there is anything that will make the title suddenly become hot, heck it may even get colder  

IMG_2473.JPG

Edited by batman_fan

Well, how about if I go off the board here and say something like Ace Comics 11 which features the first comic book appearance of the Phantom or the Ghost Who Walks.  Interesting to note that he is supposedly the first "costumed superhero" since Ace 11came out quite a few months before Action 1.

Supposedly, the daily newspaper comic strip and the color Sunday strip which both started back in the 30's are still running to this day.  Apparently, it would also appear to be one of the few comic books that is on Metro's Most Wanted List according to one of their monthly newsletters from about a year ago.

Although the Phantom character is really popular down under in Aussie Land, it looks like he might need a movie in order to raise his profile here in North America.  Oh, my bad as this was already done back in 1996 and it didn't seem to help the prices of his books, or was this before movies had an impact on the comic books.  doh!  hm

That Green Hornet 19 is classic, need to add one.

On 7/9/2017 at 11:25 PM, Hoarder said:

I have posted these before, but I think the Green Hornet Cover Run from #13-24 has some amazing covers.  I think the Schomburg covers are generally hard to find and a couple (#18 and #19) are truly classics.

Green Hornet Comics 18 Front.jpg

Green Hornet Comics 19.jpg

Love both of those.

Edited by PKJ

1 hour ago, rsouxlja7 said:

I read in the past some users felt that Detective 38 is relatively undervalued given its significance and the prices of the pre-Robins. Is this common consensus or has the book caught up to a more appropriate market value? 

I would say that similar to some of the other DC GA books which were once undervalued a few years ago such as More Fun 73 and the Wonder Woman books, they have all enjoyed a significant increase in valuation.  This is especially true in terms of the MF 73 and the 3 key WW books due to the impact of their related movie and TV hype.

Probably not so much for Detective 38 due to Robin being seen as the turning point where Batman went from being dark and cool to being more family oriented and boring.  Yet the significance of Detective 38 has finally been recognized during the past couple of years as their valuation on a price per point basis has gone steadily upwards from something like $5K per point to something like $9K per point.  We even had one sale on CC in March whereby a nicely presenting relative to its assigned 3.0 grade managed to hit just over $54K or a price per point of $18K per point.  This was followed within the hour by somebody apparently hitting the BIN button on another CGC 3.0 graded copy at something like $35K or $36K on Bob Storm's website.  :blush:

No idea if these last 2 sales were outliers or just indications of what is to come in the years going forward. hm(shrug)

On July 10, 2017 at 8:26 AM, miraclemet said:

I think                         will get hot once people  realize that                               does the interior art and covers (even though they arent GGA) and his                           covers get prohibitively expensive. 

I couldn't                          more.

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I would say that similar to some of the other DC GA books which were once undervalued a few years ago such as More Fun 73 and the Wonder Woman books, they have all enjoyed a significant increase in valuation.  This is especially true in terms of the MF 73 and the 3 key WW books due to the impact of their related movie and TV hype.

Probably not so much for Detective 38 due to Robin being seen as the turning point where Batman went from being dark and cool to being more family oriented and boring.  Yet the significance of Detective 38 has finally been recognized during the past couple of years as their valuation on a price per point basis has gone steadily upwards from something like $5K per point to something like $9K per point.  We even had one sale on CC in March whereby a nicely presenting relative to its assigned 3.0 grade managed to hit just over $54K or a price per point of $18K per point.  This was followed within the hour by somebody apparently hitting the BIN button on another CGC 3.0 graded copy at something like $35K or $36K on Bob Storm's website.  :blush:

No idea if these last 2 sales were outliers or just indications of what is to come in the years going forward. hm(shrug)

Golden words as I abhor the Blunder Boy.  I would have accepted Robin on his own more so but Batman is a character that should operate in solitude but in the end I assume it boosted sales which is the goal for the publisher.  

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Thanks for the insight. I am trying to decide if I should buy a Detective 33, Detective 38, or Amazing Fantasy 15 when the opportunity arises. Tough decision... Tec 38 has the weakest cover art but I would love to have the first app of Robin.

14 hours ago, path4play said:

This might be more of a question, but why aren't Liberty Comics hotter?

Good question. There are some really nice covers in that run. I just picked up a 10 in great shape for next to nothing. It's not a scarce book, but it has a pretty nice cover.